Infertility

Walter Reed National Medical Center - Potential May 2017 IVF Cycle (New Here - First Post)

Hello everyone.  I am new to this site and just looking for support and learn more about the IVF process from ladies who've been through it before.  Here's a little about me....

I am 34 and my husband is 28.  I was accepted into the Walter Reed IVF program in Bethesda, MD.   I lost one of my Fallopian tubes to an ectopic pregnancy and the other to fluid (hydrosalphinx).  My husband are going through IVF because it is our only route for starting a family of our own.  For the past few weeks I've been going through the required testing in order to get medically cleared for the May IVF cycle.  Testing included (day 3 blood work, AFC count, saline sonogram, Pap smear, etc)
  • Saline sonogram - perfect uterus but they noticed a large cyst on my left ovary.
  • AFC - 8 follicles on right ovary (none could be seen on left ovary due to cyst)
DAY THREE BLOOD WORK 
  • AMH - 0.867
  • FSH/LH - 7.6/7.16
  • Estradiol - 33.1
  • Prolactin - 21.6
  • TSH - 1.48
I know based off of a lot of things I've read that my AMH level may indicate that I have Diminshed Ovarian Reserve.  Can you ladies please share with me your IVF experiences and what your day 3 levels was when you started IVF?  Also, what protocol did you use and what was your outcome? 
Me: 34 DH: 28
FSH/LH - 7.6/7.16
AMH - 0.867
IVF #1 - Scheduled for May 2017

Re: Walter Reed National Medical Center - Potential May 2017 IVF Cycle (New Here - First Post)

• @ttcndc I'm also in the military IVF program but in San Diego. We are very fortunate to have such great coverage! My story is not encouraging with a similar AMH but everyone is different so don't be discouraged! I did two rounds of IVF (Lupron protocol and antagonist with estrogen priming) and both did not work so I'm moving to donor eggs - my clinic offers donor, I just need to find military/dependent....actually the clinic uses an agency so they have to find me the donor! I'm just patiently waiting for a match at this point! I wish you a successful cycle! 
    Me: 37 / Hubs: 42
    TTC: April 2013
    DOR: AMH .3 - 1.31 (it varies); FSH: 5.1
    Clinic NMCSD
    IUI #1 July/Aug 2016
    IVF #1 Sep/Oct Microdose Lupron Protocol - IVF cancelled only 1 follicle
    IVF #2 Feb/Mar Antagonist protocol w/estrogen priming - 0 eggs retrieved (empty follicle syndrome) 
    Donor Egg Cycle as soon as we find a match
  • I don't recall my numbers, but I think they were a touch worse that yours (DOR).  My AFC was a little lower, AMH was close, and FSH a little higher.  I couldn't get IVF to work for me, with my ovaries, and I tried antagonist, and micro-lupron protocol.  I'm doing reciprocal IVF now, with my wife's ovaries.

While DOR brings the challenge of getting quality eggs, it also means you have much less risk of OHSS, which can lead to serious problems.  So that's a silver lining.  Your clinic will be able to be more aggressive with your stims.  

And like I said, your numbers are a little better than mine, and you're a little younger, so don't be discouraged by my story.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Loading the player...
  • I don't have experience with low numbers, but just wanted to let you know that my coworker/friend went through IVF at WRNMC. She definitely had to stay on top of the doctors and nurses and be her own advocate/follow up constantly but overall had a good experience and was ultimately successful.

• I'm so sorry it didn't work for you :(.  I'll keep you in prayers that your next cycle works.  I believe Dr. Hill mentioned that he wants to put me on a Microdose Lupron protocol.  I am so nervous because this is the first time I am going through this process.  I didn't know it would be this stressful.  My hubby has his sperm evaluation on May 1.  But at this point I don't think it matters much since we have already decided to do ICSI.  I don't think Walter Reed has that donor egg service.  How do you like the San Diego IVF location?
    FSH/LH - 7.6/7.16
    AMH - 0.867
  • KLake42 The doctor said he is planning to put me on the highest dose possible so that we can potentially get as many eggs as we can in one try.  I'm just so nervous.  I've read so many horror stories about how stims can make you have lots of pain and how the egg retrieval hurts like crazy.  Do you have any advice on what I should do to prepare for the stims and ER?
    FSH/LH - 7.6/7.16
    AMH - 0.867
  • MTPBadger - Do you know how many times she had to go through the cycles before it worked?  So far, the nurses have been extremely responsive to emails and phone calls.  I don't have any complaints in that area.  They all seem to be very nice and knowledgeable. 
    FSH/LH - 7.6/7.16
    AMH - 0.867
  • She did one retrieval and was successful on her first transfer but TW***** that ended in a MC. On her second transfer she was successful and has almost 1yr old twins boys! I want to say they were mainly dealing with male factor though. 
  • I also agree you have to stay on top of these military docs! They claim its lack of resources but the clinic was always a ghost town and I was going in every week for 6 weeks and every day the last week of my cycle! Just be your own advocate. I printed out a calendar and kept meticulous notes. When they call with results they sometimes will just say keep taking meds and come back in 2 days for more blood. I had to ask every call and at every appt what my E2 levels were and follicle sizes. They'll tell you if you ask but won't if you don't! 
    Clinic NMCSD
    IUI #1 July/Aug 2016
    IVF #2 Feb/Mar Antagonist protocol w/estrogen priming - 0 eggs retrieved (empty follicle syndrome) 
  • How did you go about getting approved for the military IVF program? We are close to Fort Sam Houston, but have been told that it takes years. My husband has waited months just to be seen by there endocrinologist and now has waited another month to go back for urology.

We are about to begin treatment at the Houston Fertility Clinic which is sadly not covered under Tricare.
  • @Prayingfor2 you have to get a referral from your pcp. It didn't take years at my clinic. First appointment was in March and they called in August to start IVF which I started in Sep/Oct.
    Clinic NMCSD
    IUI #1 July/Aug 2016
  • @Prayingfor2 I went to my PCP and asked her for a referral.  She'll pretty much give me a referral for anything.  Walter Reed takes pretty much anyone who is active duty or with a spouse who's active duty.  From some of the other threads I've read when trolling the internet, some women even come from the West Coast to get IVF at Walter Reed.  They don't have a waiting list and I believe they have about 4-5 cycles a year.  
    FSH/LH - 7.6/7.16
    AMH - 0.867
  • @ttcndc... My story is similar to yours (3 ectopic pregnannies resulting in no tubes but also PCOS). My DH and I have an appointment with a RE next month. I wanting to know how far are you in your journey? (lurking on boards all day)
    Me:28 DH:33
    01/10/12 : First ectopic pregnancy  :'(
    Dx:PCOS
    2012-2015: TTC #2 (2 rounds of clomid + metformin)
    04/13/15: Second ectopic pregnancy  :'(
    02/29/16: Third ectopic pregnancy  :'(
    Tubal Infertility
    Married: 2/11/17  <3
    7/21/17 : Consult with RE  :#
    10/12/17 : Second consult with a different RE
    1st IVF Cycle scheduled for Feb 2018
    02/13/18 : ER
    (22 follies,16m Eggs, 11 fert, 5 blasts)
    02/18/18 : ET 
    - 2 beautiful blast 3AA,2AA (highest quality)
    02/27/18 : First Beta - 193!!!
    03/01/18 : Second Beta - 546