November 2017 Moms

Braces while Pregnant

Anyone have any experience with getting braces put on while pregnant? I've read that you can as long as you don't need to get any teeth removed. I don't need to since I did that back in December. Obviously I'm going to tell my dentist and OB about it but I was just looking for some personal stories. I don't qualify for Invisalign and am too cheap for ceramic so I'm getting the traditional metal braces (how 15 of me, right?). Right now, I'm scheduled to have them put on in June. Any stories, tips, opinions would be helpful!  :)

Re: Braces while Pregnant

• I had braces when I was younger. The one thing I would say might cause a problem, at least in the first trimester, is when they take molds of your teeth. I think I had a mold done almost every month to track how alignment was going and the goop they use made me gag even then. Not sure how far along you will be in June but that may still be an issue. 
    Me: 25 DH: 29, Married 1/1/2015
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited April 2017
    I got my metal braces when I was 25. I had appointments to tighten them every two weeks. I was in a fair amount of pain due to them moving so fast and the wires often cut my cheeks / lips. Wax and Magic Mouth Wash (lidocaine and Benadryl mixed) helped. That being said, you can only take Tylenol for pain relief, so that's something to consider. I had a removable palate expander before that and the gag reflex was real.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Loading the player...
  • baby3formebaby3forme member
    edited April 2017
    @slaven  I have to get my first mold done in a few weeks. I am not very excited.  :| I'm not sure how many they'll have to do in total but my teeth are pretty bad and I'll need the braces for 3 years so I'm guessing a few! Yuck, I remember from when I was younger and had a retainer.  :/

@NYTino24 I was thinking about that and that will suck if I'm in a lot of discomfort but I'm not really the type of person to take anything other than Tylenol anyway so we shall see! 
  • I have braces right now, and it isn't too bad. Stuff does cut my mouth but you can stick stuff on the braces to protect from that. I don't really run into too many pain issues - only right when I got them on.
    Me: 28 DW: 23
    Dating: 10/23/2013
    Married: 6/13/2014
    TTC since June 2016
    BFP #1: 3/2/17 - MC 5/22/17

• I have braces right now, and it isn't too bad. Stuff does cut my mouth but you can stick stuff on the braces to protect from that. I don't really run into too many pain issues - only right when I got them on.
    Did the dentist give you the wax or did you have to buy your own?
  • @baby3forme Gave it to me whenever I asked!
    Me: 28 DW: 23
    Dating: 10/23/2013
    Married: 6/13/2014
    TTC since June 2016
    BFP #1: 3/2/17 - MC 5/22/17

• @baby3forme I still use my wax sometimes and I'm now 34! I have one of those "chains" - permanent retainer - behind my lower teeth and it feels like I still have braces. It keeps them from moving like they often do after adult braces. For me, the one right next to, but not on the chain, moved and they crowned it instead of putting the braces back on. I somewhat regret not fixing my bite (it would have taken longer and I was always in pain) because I now have TMJ due to the misaligned jaw. I also got veneers since they were chipped and wouldn't whiten much. My teeth look amazing, though! I'd definitely get a WaterPik to get food out.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • @NYTino24 I have an overbite and crossbite that I have to get fixed because it's really bad! I have horrible TMJ because of it. I have to get crowns on my front teeth afterwards also because they are chipped and discolored from previous work done on them.  :/ So much work on top of a new baby!!