November 2017 Moms
Options

Current Events Opinions

Re: Current Events Opinions

• Options

@elizabethschuyler I'm afraid it won't be enough.  I keep questioning when enough is enough though.  Seems we should be there already.

DS1 is 7.  DD is 1.  DS2 is coming in late April.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I don't know what will be enough but his testimony should help us get closer. @mariposa_767s
    November 2017 July Summer Fails

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Idk why I'm so nervous!

Image result for its time gif

• Options
    @mariposa_767s Do you have a good feed to listen/watch? The CNN feed keeps locking up on me :( 

• Options
    @elizabethschuyler not really.  I am having to read live feeds.  I may get onto my CNN app on my phone though.

• Options
    Things no one cares about: Clinton's emails. Stop. Please. Stop. 

• Options

Also a liar: Sarah Sanders

• Options
    McCain needs to retire.  I had higher hopes for his questioning but he spent the whole time confused about two different investigations and turning them into one.  I wanted to yell at my live stream.

• Options
    Trump calling Comey both honest and a liar is absolutely amazing. Also calling him a leaker when he didn't leak classified docs. Stop. 

• Options
    Pretty much everything Trump is doing makes me think "omg staaaahp"

• Options
    I've lost faith in this whole process. I'm just waiting for this to be yet another huge thing that changes nothing. 

• Options
    On the bright side, UK shook things up a bit.

• Options
    Ugh. Doesn't use Twitter for 48 hours and then comes back with "WOW, Comey is a leaker!" You have lost your internet privlieges.

• Options
    The whole thing is exhausting.  I hope the special...can't think of the word...advisor or committee or whatever does something.  This guy obviously has no clue what he's doing.  And of course Comey didn't go to the DOJ with it because Trump is going around asking for loyalty...why would Comey trust anyone...

• Options
    Well this was upsetting to read today.

• Options
    mariposa_767smariposa_767s member
    edited June 2017

@duchessofcambridge I believe there is much more going on there than we are led to believe.  And I don't think our motives are as they appear either.  It's frustrating.

ETA I wanted to say "it's sad" but Trump has ruined that word for me *eye roll*

• Options
    @mariposa_767s agreed. The west wonders why they get backlash from the Middle East and this is it...you rip apart innocent peoples families, they want revenge. I don't at all legitimize terrorism but honestly to them, this is terrorism. It's so so upsetting.

• Options
    @duchessofcambridge exactly...and the media doesn't give us the full story over here either.  I prefer getting our national news from international outlets.  I lived in the Netherlands for three years and really got accustomed to actual news.  Not that our news is fake news...but the focus and fluff of things can be all out of whack.

• Options
    I've been avoiding this board and I'm sad I've done that. I think I was worried I would get wrapped up in some hugely useless debate (because we all know how often online comments change peoples minds.). Maybe that will happen, I guess I've entered the IDGAF phase of pregnancy.

I thought this op-ed piece was pretty brilliant. I know- it's teen vogue, but if you aren't taking note of how incredible their reporting has been lately YOU'RE MISSING OUT. It's bad-ass. And this article is really, really spot-on. I'm so over the rampant romanticizing of administrations past (I don't care that Bush paints now. I just don't.), simply because this one is deeply (and very publicly) horrifying. I like this op-ed because it does just that. It breaks that rule that we've all been silently following and challenges us to think a bit more critically about how we ended up in this mess. 
  • Options
    Did any of you see that new Brad Pitt movie that's on Netflix?  It's called War Machine.  I didn't realize it was such a politically motivated movie when we watched it, but it was an interesting take on things (and one I'd heard before).

• Options
    Rumor floating that Trump is going to fire the special counsel appointed to the Russia investigation. Do you know when you reach the point where you can't? I'm getting close. 

• Options
    Jeff Sessions has no recollection of anything important except that he did not participate in collusion. 

• Options
    @elizabethschuyler yep...I knew it would be a bunch of lip service, but he's killing me

• Options
    I actually turned on the tv to watch a little of it while the kids were napping and it's even more painful to watch than I expected.  Plus Cornyn is questioning right now - he's one of my state Senators and he generally makes me ragey.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Our leader, everyone. Whatchu hiding behind those tweets, 45?

• Options
    @duchessofcambridge Something is so off about this guy.

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge it is never ok for the government to make medical decisions in place of doctors. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    RiverSong15RiverSong15 member
    edited June 2017
    @DuchessofCambridge It's laws like this that make it very clear to me that my life, as a woman, has less meaning to this segment of the population than that of a man's. We don't regulate men's health this way. My purpose in life is more than being a vessel for carrying children. And it makes me indescribably angry when (mostly) white (mostly) male lawmakers sit back and make laws because they think their religious beliefs make them more qualified than a medical doctor to make medical decisions. And that's what this particular situation is - a medical decision that most often happens to women with wanted pregnancies that have gone badly.

I'm going to slap a big old *TW* on this next statement - details of MC ****TW*TW*TW**** I felt the same way about Indiana's fetal burial laws that applied to MC. The thought of having to retain my MC'd tissue and bring it somewhere for burial makes my chest seize up and makes it hard to breathe. My MCs were devastating to me. It took me months to recover emotionally, and I'm still carrying grief from them. Having to recover tissue at home and arrange for burial (when there was nothing to really recover, especially the second time), would have broken me emotionally. It would have forced me to get a D&C, which my OB strongly recommended against because it was unnecessary and risked scarring of my uterus. The fact that politicians think they have a right to tell me and my OB what is best for me medically makes me so incredibly ragey. *****End TW****

TLDR: Politicians need to butt out of medical decisions.
  • Options
    @liz4382 @RiverSong15 agreed, and so much yes. This is a decision that should be made by doctors and the women who need to go through it. No one does this for fun or because they've changed their minds. I am lucky to not yet have experienced it and I pray I never will but even the thought of it is so devastating. Women who go through it don't ask for it at ALL.

I also find it incredibly frustrating that the whole country yells about Islamic Sharia law taking over. Sharia law is just a moral code of conduct for an individual person, it's not something to actually be written and followed in terms of law as we know it. But, if we're focusing on what most people think Sharia law is, isn't this Christian Sharia law? Aren't we forcing people legally to do something because one group is expressing this is what their religion believes? What about what my religion says? Mine says I'm allowed to seek medical help if something goes wrong with the fetus, why does it matter to me what yours says you can do? What about those who don't have religion? Why does yours take precedent over their beliefs?

I hate the people who make these laws. I'm thankful I'm religious because the only comfort I derive is knowing that one day all of these people will have to answer for their actions.

• Options
    How an abnormality in the embryo or fetus causing a miscarriage makes a woman a criminal and need to jump through all these hoops, is beyond me. These politicians should have to face families devastated by these losses and listen to what they have to go through before these things are passed. I'm so sick of them hiding behind a blanket "abortion" term. Trump going on about late-term abortions while campaigning moved me to tears. TW my friend had to terminate due to spina bifida. It was a very planned, very wanted pregnancy, and she was devastated. You're going to tell her she did something wrong because her baby had an abnormality she didn't ask for or want? YOU carry an nonviable fetus to term and then make your laws.

I'm so mad! And as a sidenote, DH and I (mostly I) had decided that as long as it wouldn't harm me, I would be carrying our baby to term or as long as I could no matter what happened. Because that's what I wanted to do. Each woman should get to make her own choice. UGH now I'm crying again.

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge it's infuriating. It's like they are just ignoring the fact that their laws are taking advantage of women at their most vulnerable time and oftentimes putting their lives at risk. Yet they keep pushing the inaccuracy that women are having these procedures at 30+ weeks just because they don't want their babies. And so many people are buying it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Absolutely, and the attempt to force women to save the tissue from their miscarriages to bury Is rooted in religion as well. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I'm still sad the kid that was imprisoned in North Korea died.  It was really stupid to steal something in a country that's known to be harsh and unforgiving.  But I do wonder what happened to him over there.  I also find it strangely convenient that they sent him back a week before he died when he was supposedly in a coma for over a year.  So many questions...I feel awful for his family.

• Options
    @mariposa_767s I wonder what will be revealed after an autopsy. Heartbreaking. 

• Options
    @mariposa_767s I do think he should have been punished for being disrespectful in another country, especially one like North Korea where they are very harsh, but this was definitely way too intense of a punishment. It was inhumane and I hope his family gets answers.