Trouble TTC

Metformin and Acne?

Hi ladies, 

So I need some advice or experience from my fellow ladies on Metformin or ladies who have taken it. I recently in the last week and half or so have upped my dose to 1500 mg and since then my skin has been TERRIBLE! I mean acne like a crazy person. I have never had "amazing skin", but I don't really break out anymore, just the occasional pimple here and there. My skin has been super dry and flaky too, so I have no clue where they are coming from. O_o Has anyone had this experience?? Talk about embarrassing and super annoying. Any advice would be a big plus plus! 

TIA, 

Mandi 
Me: 27, DH: 28
Married June 2014
TTC #1 since March 2016
Dx: PCOS
On Meftormin since Feb 2017

Re: Metformin and Acne?

• I have experienced awful nausea with it while my body was adjusting to higher doses, but not acne.  
    Maybe it has something to to with your body chemistry adjusting to the higher dose? If that's what's going on then I would think that your skin should clear up within a week or two of your highest dosage. 

Also my skin sems to dry out a lot since I started Metformin as well. I've noticed that it doesn't dry out if I drink tons of water, so I try to drink a lot of it!

Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful & I hope your skin clears up soon!
  • @greenange The nausea has actually not really been too bad since I am on the ER.  I have noticed that I get dehydrated a lot easier now that I am on the Metformin. I will try to drink a couple more cups a day and see how that works. I have only been on the 1500 for about a week and a half, so hopefully it is just adjusting and will go away. Such a pain in the butt! Thanks for the input. 
    Married June 2014
    TTC #1 since March 2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Dittio @mandilyn1127 about the dehydration. I've been on it for 5 months now, increased to 1500mg just about a month ago. I wouldn't say I have bad acne but I have noticed I am oiler. Might sound gross but I have noticed an increase in pimples on my head under my hair. I attribute it to the Metformin. Sorry I'm not much of a help.

Me: 34 - SO: 40
    TTC #1 since 8/2016
    FINALLY diagnosed with anovulatory PCOS 11/2016 (Insulin resistance and multiple cysts on both ovaries)
    Miscarriage on 7/19/17 at 7 weeks 
    Miscarriage on 10/16/17 at 5 weeks

• @eranvo27 The acne has started to subside a bit, I think it was the dose increase messing with my hormones. I do feel a lot oilier though which is annoying because my foundation looks crappy mid day. Perhaps try a different hair spray or gel? Maybe the metformin is reacting with what you currently use? Idk, just an idea. 
    Married June 2014
    TTC #1 since March 2016