TTC after 35

Early Blood test results

I have an appointment with a new OB/GYN on Wednesday.  I'm in the 2 week wait right now, but wondering if there is a blood test they do at the doctor that would be able to identify a pregnancy before an at home test would show anything?  I will be 9 DPO on Wednesday and that seems a little premature to get test results like that.  Not sure you ladies know something different than I do so I thought I'd ask.

EDD 6/18/18
DD=10/5/10 DS=4/9/13

Re: Early Blood test results

• I'm not sure if it would notice it any quicker than an HPT - They basically do a blood draw to measure the HCG in your system.  9DPO seems really early to me.  At one point I was told you had to have an HCG of 8 for it to register a positive test.  Due to some researching yesterday looks like HCG doesn't show up into your system until about 5 days after implantation which doesn't make sense to me because I was getting positive pregnancy tests and increasing betas with my CP that hadn't implanted.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @brigidjerrell Hi, from 10DPO a FRER (first response test) should be able to start picking up a positive at home, but I'd recommend testing with a FRER at 12DPO to be sure. 
    @vlagrl29 If you have hcg above 5 then the embryo did implant, but if it's a CP then it stopped growing and detached. That's because hcg is produced by the cells of the placenta that grow in the walls of the uterus. 
  • Loading the player...
  • That makes much more sense @liljoy it still makes me sad to think about. Also my numbers are so slow to rise. Both pregnancies I've had doesn't turn an hpt until 4 weeks!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think any office would do a blood test at 9dpo, since it can take up to 12 days for implantation. The minimum is usually 14dpo and then you would need a second draw 2 days later. Getting one draw doesn't tell you much, what matters is that the numbers double. 
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for the responses. She didn't end up doing a blood draw for a test.  It didn't even come up in the appointment.  She did draw for a thyroid level and those results came back normal.  So I'm very impatiently waiting to test this month. I'm trying to wait until Sunday to test. We'll see if I make it this month. 

EDD 6/18/18
    DD=10/5/10 DS=4/9/13