October 2017 Moms

Dental work

hey mama's, 
Anyone ever had dental work while pregnant? I have seriously awful teeth and get cavities so easily. Has anyone ever had root canals while pregnant? Of course I have the ok and have asked my Dr. now that I'm 13 weeks, but just wanting to some reassurance! 

Re: Dental work

• folamijfolamij member
    edited April 2017
    Not a root canal, but I had to have a surgical extraction in my last pregnancy. My OB only allowed one X-ray and when I had to have the actual extraction, I was only numbed. But, it wasn't the good numbing stuff either. I felt everything butt they couldn't give my any more because of baby. 
    My advice would be frequent dental visits to stay ahead of everything and get what your OB approves for dental work.

Edited because words are hard.
  • As long as your OB oks the procedure you'll be fine
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • @folamij oh nooo. Hoping I don't feel them drilling into my teeth. That sounds so miserable. Thank you for your response!! 
  • I have to get 2 crowns next week. I actually went when I was 11w and the dentist wouldn't touch me. He said to come back 2nd trimester.
  • I had a root canal when I was pregnant with DD. My OB only let me do 1 x-ray and I was only numbed. It wasn't horrible. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @Colada584 yay! Thank you for your response! I've heard from other people it's awful without the heavy duty stuff they use when you aren't pregnant. Hoping it'll be bearable! 
  • I had to have dental work done and my OB wrote me a note saying it was okay. They used a lower radiation form of x-ray than usual but the assistant missed the first time and they had to do it twice. Ugh. My dentist's wife is also expecting so it was reassuring to know he would have felt comfortable doing the same procedure on her. 

BUT, if you can wait I would. The procedure I had done wasn't too painful, and the local anesthesia did the trick while he was all up in there, but after it wore off I got a pretty bad headache and I really could have used advil or something stronger for them. I've been taking tylenol, and even though it's "safe" I'm now worried about taking too much.

I'll have to go back for a crown in a few months, but my dentist said those can be done at any point in the pregnancy and *should* be painless. Also, I did my cleaning and that was totally fine. Just no x-rays this time.