July 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms April 3-7

Re: Weekly Randoms April 3-7

• An Aunt has asked about hosting a shower and a co-worker has asked about hosting a sprinkle (separate sides of the state, so no issues with that). My concern is that DS is only 17mo. #2will be a girl, but I did keep all of DS's stuff. The only thing a that I do not have are a jumper, swing, floor gym, or carseat because the first three were borrowed and the carseat expired. So, we do have some needs, but I am not used to any events like for a second child and am afraid that both people are just offering to be polite. What do I say to either one?
  • @WeddingNotes13 if you really do think that the shower and sprinkle will help you in anyway, you could just go with the flow... and let them do it? 
    Are they very happily doing this or do you think they are taking pressure to do this?. Also, would they do it for themselves or someone even closer than you? Would you be able to do the same for them? That could make your decision making easier.
    If you feel like they are going above and beyond for you compared to what they would do otherwise then maybe you can say you don't feel comfortable and that its very kind of them but you can't accept the offer. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @WeddingNotes13 I have had the same situation. In fact, some family is pretty insistent on me having a "sprinkle" but I am so against it that I have been very firm in not allowing it. I have some needs as well (DS is almost 4 and this LO is a girl) but I don't think it is others responsibility to buy things for this LO. IMO, a baby shower is a celebration of a woman becoming a mother, which is why I was ok with it with DS. If people are adamant about getting a gift, they will find a way to get you one even without a shower/sprinkle. My coworkers, after hearing that I really don't want a shower, want to go to lunch to celebrate... but they swear it will not be a party with gifts! 
  • @WeddingNotes13 A few people have asked about hosting a shower for me too. I have suggested to them that we do a sip and see instead. Since he will already have been born, I don't think anyone will have an expectation that I still need things. Plus then I can share him with several friends all at once rather than in (more tiring) individual visits. To me that was a way of accepting my friends' offers without having a shower that would still allow me to celebrate this new life with them. 
  • @maybeitsmadeline - That is what you get for trying to be healthy!   I say only hot cheetos from now on! ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think baby is on my stomach. I was barely able to finish my lunch.
  • Okay- I'm having a sprinkle next month (I just found out) and my best friend is asking where we registered to put it on the invitations. Do you register for things if it's a different gender..? We need clothes-sorry I won't be putting her in fire truck outfits. And diapers but I don't want to do a registry for clothes and diapers.. what am I forgetting? 
  • @plumpous My co-workers in London mailed me a baby on board pin and half the time, I still end up standing due to the rudeness of New Yorkers! 
  • @nktrodden826 I've had people ask me where I'm registered too and I'm have another girl! I think it's weird to register for your second, third etc...(I mean I did to get the samples/gift bag and completion coupon, but there's nothing on them)
    I know I'll have a sprinkle and people will get me presents regardless, but I'm the same as you, just get me outfits and diapers. I don't need to register for that! 
  • @nktrodden826 - yea, I probably wouldn't register if it's not your first. The basic concept of a sprinkle (vs a shower) is that it's supposed to be small. If I went to sprinkle I would just take an outfit and a pack of diapers. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Then it's decided! No registry. Thanks ladies! Just needed that validation! 
    Good call and I agree.  I have a small registry for DH and I to get discounts but I don't plan to tell anyone else about it.  People will likely get you lots of girl clothes and you'll be all set!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Are most of the STM+'s having sprinkles for this baby?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Are most of the STM+'s having sprinkles for this baby?
    I think I'm having a full-blown shower, not by choice. My mom threw my sister a second shower last summer when she was pregnant (2nd daughter, 5 years apart). So I'm pretty sure she's doing the same for me with my second being a boy and 6 years later. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • @mjacks16 @plumpous They don't work in London either :( 
  • @notachanski nope! Declined the first attempt by someone and suggested we just do manis/pedis with a few people instead. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • @notachanski absolutely not. My parents and in-laws will get a present because they will insist and some close family will probably bring a present when they first see the baby but nothing formal and absolutely no expectations of a party or gifts.

I have strong feelings against second showers and sprinkles. It has gotten me in trouble on this board before. 
  • +1 for not doing a second shower.

My friend offered to throw me a shower for my third since there's going to be 6 years between DS2 and this baby. I shut it down super quick, even though I actually don't have anything other than a crib, a stroller, a monitor, and all the baby clothes. I gave everything else away, but still, nobody should buy me anything. They already bought me stuff 8+ years ago for DS1 and it was my choice to give the stuff away. I'll be getting most things I can get second hand, and the rest I will buy for myself. 
  • @notachanski I wouldn't say I'm "having" a sprinkle/shower. Our small group at church does something for every baby whether it's the first or fifth. And my work will do something because they like an excuse to eat cake. I don't get a say in it and they'd get me stuff regardless so those are the ones I'm not fighting. If anyone else offers or asks my answer is no. I had my shower with DD. 
  • FTM so not really relevant for me - but I am with everyone else on not doing a second shower. I wouldn't necessarily be offended if I was invited to someone else's second shower/sprinkle but I definitely wouldn't let one happen for me. 
  • No shower or sprinkle for me. We're having another girl but I wouldn't want one even if this was a boy. Even the first shower was so not my thing and done for my MILs sake. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• Another for no shower. Like some others I have been making a tiny registry for us to buy stuff off of but that's it. 

Also, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I took my GD class on Tuesday and it was pretty fast. My numbers have stayed pretty good, actually...except my morning fasting number. It's always over 110. What am I doing wrong!? I was told to eat a snack before bed, so I do. Nothing changes it. 
  • I haven't heard anything yet, but the people I work with do something for all babies.  My family will probably have one since we're having a girl this time.  It will be small and not elaborate, if it was anything like my sister's.  I am not registering publicly.  Typically in our circles, a sprinkle is done for clothes and diapers only.
  • BabyBump2 said:
    Another for no shower. Like some others I have been making a tiny registry for us to buy stuff off of but that's it. 

Also, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I took my GD class on Tuesday and it was pretty fast. My numbers have stayed pretty good, actually...except my morning fasting number. It's always over 110. What am I doing wrong!? I was told to eat a snack before bed, so I do. Nothing changes it. 
    When I was pregnant with DS2, my fasting number was the only issue, and my doctor told me to eat an apple before bedtime. It was amazing, and instantly made my fasting number go down. Try it for a few days! I hope it works for you as well as it worked for me. 
  • BabyBump2 said:
    Another for no shower. Like some others I have been making a tiny registry for us to buy stuff off of but that's it. 

When I was pregnant with DS2, my fasting number was the only issue, and my doctor told me to eat an apple before bedtime. It was amazing, and instantly made my fasting number go down. Try it for a few days! I hope it works for you as well as it worked for me. 
    Ohhh! I will have to try it! Another dumb question..was there a certain time you quit eating after? I am so lost with this. They didn't give us much information..I like to know meals and snacks and stuff..and I can't find anything too good about it!
  • @supermom83 my dad told me to do that  to regulate my sugar levels in general maybe that's what worked for me (not exactly fasting). My A1C in early first trimester was borderline so I got worried, I did the apple at night religiously (and had plenty of desserts here and there too) and got my A1C done again and my levels are good! Il continue to do that it's good to know since my mums side is diabetic for the most part! 

• Another one for no second shower/sprinkle.  Ive had a few people ask but it's not for me.  I had one with my first and it was great but I would feel awkward having a second.  
  • There's a group called iron supplements.... 

• Dcwtada said:
    @notachanski absolutely not. My parents and in-laws will get a present because they will insist and some close family will probably bring a present when they first see the baby but nothing formal and absolutely no expectations of a party or gifts.

I have strong feelings against second showers and sprinkles. It has gotten me in trouble on this board before. 
    I typically don't love them either, but that's why I asked.  Wasn't sure if this had become the new norm.  I do not plan on having one, nor has anyone offered to give me one haha.  I will use the items I have for my other children and do not expect gifts.  Wasn't sure, though, if maybe I was being unreasonable.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for all the input ladies. I thought maybe I was the only one not registering for this kid.... I feel relieved.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • BabyBump2 said:

What type of snack are you eating before bed? I've found that if I eat something sugary before bed, it sticks with me all night long. I can eat things like popcorn, cheese & crackers, but not fruit.

Also, there's a GD thread somewhere if you want to move this over there and other people with experience can help you troubleshoot. :)
  • I am in the "Holy crap!" mindset about us all now getting to the point where we need the Birth Announcements thread pinned. Where did the time go?!
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • AdaByron said:
    BabyBump2 said:

What type of snack are you eating before bed? I've found that if I eat something sugary before bed, it sticks with me all night long. I can eat things like popcorn, cheese & crackers, but not fruit.

Also, there's a GD thread somewhere if you want to move this over there and other people with experience can help you troubleshoot. :)
    Like last night I had hummus. And the night before I had a peanut butter sandwhich. 

I was on in the GD thread..and completely forgot about it until I posted on here..brain fart, my bad. 
  • On the home page of the app (for me, I don't know if it's different for everyone) is an article about the worst thing pregnant women's partners say. I was reading it and feeling glad I have such a wonderful and supportive husband. He has done so much for me the last few months. And then he predicted that this baby is going to be 'a vagina ripper.' Out loud. To my face. Seriously? At my anatomy scan, I measured in the 90th percentile, so I am figuring that she is going to be big, but seriously? Boys...
  • I'm a FTM.  Had my family shower on Sunday due to family travel and schedules (25 weeks is a little early for a shower, right?).  But they made me cry with all the generosity.  It's so helpful since DH and I are both unemployed at the moment.  Beautiful day with beautiful people.
  • glitterfish-2glitterfish-2 member
    edited April 2017
    On the home page of the app (for me, I don't know if it's different for everyone) is an article about the worst thing pregnant women's partners say. I was reading it and feeling glad I have such a wonderful and supportive husband. He has done so much for me the last few months. And then he predicted that this baby is going to be 'a vagina ripper.' Out loud. To my face. Seriously? At my anatomy scan, I measured in the 90th percentile, so I am figuring that she is going to be big, but seriously? Boys...
    I think the articles change by either the week or the day. (Like everyone on 26+5 sees the same)

My DH said the other day that the baby will probably come out the "easy way" - a CS.  :s

Eta: I think the comment was in relation to why do we have to spend all day (today!) at childbirth class.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • On the home page of the app (for me, I don't know if it's different for everyone) is an article about the worst thing pregnant women's partners say. I was reading it and feeling glad I have such a wonderful and supportive husband. He has done so much for me the last few months. And then he predicted that this baby is going to be 'a vagina ripper.' Out loud. To my face. Seriously? At my anatomy scan, I measured in the 90th percentile, so I am figuring that she is going to be big, but seriously? Boys...
    I think the articles change by either the week or the day. (Like everyone on 26+5 sees the same)

My DH said the other day that the baby will probably come out the "easy way" - a CS.  :s

Eta: I think the comment was in relation to why do we have to spend all day (today!) at childbirth class.
    OMG I wonder which way he thought was the "easy" way!! Men!
  • I also passed the glucose test!  I've worried about it for a while. Yay!