November 2016 Moms
Options

All Things Baby Food/Solids

12346»

Re: All Things Baby Food/Solids

• Options
    @Ladybug2821 we've been doing eggs since 6 months!
  • Options
    I've done eggs a few times. Seems to go best scrambled. I've heard of people using breastmilk or formula to scramble and make it easier on baby's tummy, but I just use almond milk. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Haven't done eggs, peanut butter or any common allergens except for diary yet. I don't know why I'm nervous about it, we don't have any major food allergies in the family, but it still scares the crap out of me. I have some severe drug/antibiotic allergies, so I think I've been traumatized from that because I know just how bad and scary an allergic reaction can be.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    @leighry do you have to do another weight check 
  • Options
    @kvruns he said just to come back for his 9 month appt... But by then he wants him to have stayed in this track and have gained at least another 2lbs. He didn't say what would happen if he didnt... But I'm going to do my best to make sure it does.
  • Options
    How exactly are you all introducing peanut butter? Straight on a spoon?

Our dr hasn't said anything but I'm curious if he'd be interested because he wants whole food. 
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Options
    Yes when we first introduced it to all our kids we did a spoon and then made peanut butter toast.
  • Options
    @mrsmoose5 Studies have changed a bit and they say now the sooner you introduce allergens the less likely they are to develop allergies versus if we put if off too long. I was nervous too but if it might ensure baby doesn't struggle with food allergies it's worth introducing. I personally did it on a weekend when both H and I we're home (or any second family member or friend that can drive / react). 

@SandNStarsNJ we just put some on our finger and let him suck it off. If he did in fact have an allergy a smaller amount to try is better then giving a whole pile of it. 
    He now has his own jar of pb full of finger prints from us dipping our fingers in. I'm willing to mix it in cereal now. 
  • Options
    m6aguam6agua member
    I am going grocery shopping tonight and will have to expand the things to give my LO.

I have PB and eggs at home. I think I'm going to buy some yogurt and probably some new fruits and veggies.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    We just put little bits of peanut butter on a spoon while feeding him applesauce. I've also thought of mixing it in with his bananas. 
  • Options
    mrsmoose5mrsmoose5 member
    edited June 2017
    @kristah2 I know, I know, I need to just do it. Think I'll try for eggs this weekend when H is home. 

Pretty sure DD is ready to just ditch BFing and only eat solids (no, I won't do that and I know she's not actually ready, I think she just feels that way). She eats so much, but I can hardly get her to BF. This morning she had two big slices of avocado mashed up and 2 oz of puréed peaches with rice cereal, yet she will only nurse 4 times in a 24 hour period, and some of those sessions are a complete battle.

ETA: yes, I have tried to lessen her solids, but it doesn't seem to make her want to BF more.
  • Options
    ZoeFerZoeFer member
    How do you give scrambled eggs ? do you chop into little pieces ? and maybe it must go to the dumb questions thread but what is a bite size for baby ? if i leave small pieces in her purees, she immediately gags and her face turns red , then she completely refuses to get the second spoon. If I keep the whole fruit (apple or pear) she like to chew on it , but i am so scared because she bites big pieces once a while by mistake.
    I feel like a complete failure at introducing solids to her.
  • Options
    Since I'm trying to follow BLW, I make eggs more like a flat pancake (or omelette without all the stuff inside) then cut a "finger" size shape. Then he can hold it himself..although it's a little slippery.

I'm scared I've created a little monster with BLW though because he REFUSES to eat from a spoon (oatmeal, yogurt, etc). He scrunches his face and closes his mouth. But if I put food on the spoon then put the spoon on his tray, he will happily grab it and try to feed himself! 
  • Options
    @ZoeFer I scramble and sort of smash hem with a fork so it's really broken up. If I find it's not working I'll throw it in my baby bullet for a second (but not too long, it makes a gross egg paste) 
  • Options
    Why don't they have a reaction from eggs or peanut butter through BM like they do with dairy or tomatoes?
  • Options
    She might feels she's gagging because it is purée with bits. As she thinks she doesn't need to chew, but then has to chew @zoefer.
    Maybe a nuby feeder could help your anxiety about giving apple and pear pieces?
    If my LO gets pieces she only gets pieces so nothing puréed. 
    Kiwi scooped out with a spoon, banana pieces bites sizes as in my fingertip size (or I just give her half a banana) chunk of watermelon.
    This way she knows she needs to chew.

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    Good question @ladybug2821. I eat peanut butter all the time and from pregnancy through breast feeding. If she doesn't have a reaction, should I still be worried about giving her peanut butter? I have given her eggs and i chop them up with a fork so they are tiny tiny pieces. She mostly plays with it.
  • Options
    LO tried watermelon tonight. He made adorable faces, like it was sour and he didn't like it, but then kept going back for more and smiled about it. It was so cute! 
  • Options
    I let J gum a chunk of steak tonight! He loved it! I don't think he actually ate much of it if anything but he got a taste for the juices. It was fun if nothing else else ;)
    Talk me through this: how big a piece? And how much are you controlling his intake?

I've been MUCH more experimental this time around but LO (& his sister) seem to enjoy "chimpmunking" their food. Like regardless of what is in their mouth, they continue to shovel food into their mouth because it's on the plate. 
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Options
    @sandnstarsnj I had a slice of steak the size of a steak fry and I held it in my hand while he chewed on it. Once or twice I pulled it away if I felt a chunk got in his mouth to see what he would do with it. I took it away completely when I felt like it was deteriorating too much and might break apart in his mouth.
  • Options
    m6aguam6agua member
    so my big question is how big of a deal are seasonings for LO? I read
    that we should try not to give them salt. I haven't seasoned any purées but I would like to give LO some chunks of meat and what not but I don't want to make an unseasoned version.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    As far as seasonings go with puréed I buy from the store but the ones I get don't have extra stuff in them really ( Plum Organics mostly). With the steak I gave him a piece off my plate so it was seasoned with salt and pepper like I would eat it. I also gave him pizza crust that had some sauce and cheese on it once. I think it's ok to experiment with seasoning but go light so as not to overwhelm them.
  • Options
    tvh1982tvh1982 member
    edited June 2017
    We get told to watch out with salt, as their kidneys can't handle a lot of it.
    Seasoning a little is ok and we have to start slowly with basil, pearsly and stuff like that before we add the more spicy spices like pepper, paprika, ...

edit: posted before the sentence was finished 

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    Has anyone noticed a difference in poop between store bought baby food and homemade? We did homemade sweet potato purée yesterday for the first time and he's pooped 4 times - including a blow out in the car. He never poops this much and the homemade food is the only difference