Trouble TTC
Options

Weight Loss

Just wanted to share a small victory! I went off the pill in July and since then, no matter what I do my weight has been on the rise. I have gained 30 lbs total since July!!! I hate how I feel, I do eat right and work out but that doesn't seem to matter. I've been on 1500 mg of Metformin for about 3 weeks now and yesterday, for the first time since August, the numbers on the scale went DOWN! I am so excited about this and even though it is only 2.5 lbs it is still a start!

I was asked about the Ketogenic Diet, has anyone tried it? I would love some insight on what worked for you in your weight loss journey.  

Me: 34 - SO: 40
TTC #1 since 8/2016
FINALLY diagnosed with anovulatory PCOS 11/2016 (Insulin resistance and multiple cysts on both ovaries)
Miscarriage on 7/19/17 at 7 weeks 
Miscarriage on 10/16/17 at 5 weeks

Re: Weight Loss

• Options
    @eranvo27 - my DH and I have both had successes on ketogenic diets, like Atkins. They really work - like, I wasn't hungry - the trick is just keeping the weight off, after. Which is not easy. Congratulations on your small victory!
  • Options
    I have no experience with the Ketogenic Diet but hurray for your first 2.5 pound loss!!
    Me:33, DH:38 Married: 8/2/2014
    TTC #1 Since: April 2015
    Unexplained Infertility

Cycle 1&2 : Clomid 50mg- BFN
    Cycle 3: Letrozole 2.5mg- BFN
    Cycle 4: Letrozole 5mg- BFN
    Cycle 5: HSG-normal
                  Clomid 100mg+ Estrace- BFN
    Cycle 6: Letrozole 5mg+Trigger shot+IUI+Progestrone- BFN
    Cycle 7: Letrozole 5mg, Cyst found during follicle check
    Cycle 8: Birth control to treat left ovary cyst
    Cycle 9: Letrozole 7.5mg+Trigger shot+IUI+Progesterone- BFN
    Cycle 10: Letrozole 7.5mg, 2 Cysts found during follicle check
    Cycle 11: Clomid 100mg+Estradiol+Trigger shot+IUI+Progesterone- BFN
    Cycle 12: Clomid 100mg- BFN
    Cycle 13-16: Natural attempts while awaiting IVF 
    Cycle 14: IVF-BFN

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @eranvo27
    Looks like some other women on the IF board are getting into the Whole30 diet - thought I'd mention in case you're interested in exploring that too:
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12705519/whole30-paleo-diet

• Options
    @eranvo27 I don't have any advice on the Ketogenic Diet, but I did want to say great job with the weight loss! Metformin tends to make me lose my appetite, so I happy to see that you have been able to see some results!! Keep me posted on your journey! 
    Me: 27, DH: 28
    Married June 2014
    TTC #1 since March 2016
    Dx: PCOS
    On Meftormin since Feb 2017
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I am reading up on the Keto diet and will check into Whole30! 

@Mandilyn1127 how have you handled your metformin increase? Hopefully you are over the GI yuckiness that goes along with it! I accidentally took my evening pills in the morning last week which meant two 1000mg pills back to back and I had very very mild spotting. I am hoping that means when I get upped to the 2000mg per day from the 1500mg it will trigger AF.  

TTC #1 since 8/2016
    FINALLY diagnosed with anovulatory PCOS 11/2016 (Insulin resistance and multiple cysts on both ovaries)

• Options
    @eranvo27 I am on ER so I am not having too bad of GI issues. I do find that if I eat too much dairy or carbs in a day I wake up feeling yucky, but it usually goes away. I am at 1500 for another couple weeks to see if I can obtain results and then I might have to go to 2000. So many huge pills to take! I have started to lose weight which could be because I avoid bread and dairy like it is the plague. LOL. Wish you lots of luck when you up to 2000. :) 
    Me: 27, DH: 28
    Married June 2014
    TTC #1 since March 2016
    Dx: PCOS
    On Meftormin since Feb 2017
  • Options
    I stopped eating gluten and dairy long before my PCOS diagnosis. If you have questions or are interested in recipes I would be glad to help out! I've got about 3 weeks left at 1500. I know exactly what you mean about huge pills! 

TTC #1 since 8/2016

• Options
    @eranvo27 I have heard that there is some research on ketogenic diet increasing fertility, but have no personal experience. We are doing clean eating and it has helped, along the lines of Whole 30 but I haven't cut cream in coffee or cheese. Mmmm cheese....
  • Options
    We deciced to do Whole 30 with some minor adjusments. So far it has helped with how I feel! I am really surprised that a change in diet makes that much of a difference! Thanks for the advice!

TTC #1 since 8/2016

• Options
    I started the Ketogenic way of eating in late January.  I try to stay under 20g of carbs a day, but I don't always track it very well and I don't exercise.  I've been TTC for almost 3 years (and I'll be turning 40 soon).  I decided to start doing Keto, because I heard it can help with fertility and overall health.  I don't have PCOS, blocked tubes or endometriosis, but I have been overweight pretty much my whole life and was thinking it could be an issue.  With Keto, I've lost 34 lbs and I feel great.  I still have probably another 30 to 40 lbs I'd like to lose.  I have no way of knowing for sure if it will help my fertility, but I went back on my ovulation tracking app today and just realized that my luteal phase has lengthened in the months since starting Keto.  Good luck to you!

BTW, Maria Emmerich has some great Keto cookbooks if you decide to go Keto. 
    Me: 40 DH: 45
    TTC since roughly Aug 2014
    DX: unexplained - never been pregnant
    Fibroids (4), but they don't appear to be causing any issue
    HSG 2016 = all clear
    Feb 2017 IUI + clomid and trigger shot = BFN
    AMH 2018 = 0.8
    Semenanalysis 2018 = easier just to say it's adequate
    March 2018 IUI + Femara 2.5mg x 10, 10,000 unit Pregnyl trigger, Progesterone suppositories 200mg nightly = BFN

Supplements/Vitamins I'm taking daily:
    • Prenatal
    • DHEA 75 mg
    • Probiotic 25 Billion CFU
    • Vitamin D3 5000 IU
    • Vitamin E 400 IU
    • Vitamin C 1000 mg
    • Biotin 5000 mcg
    • Magnesium Glycinate 400 mg
    • CoQ10 400 mg
    • Collagen tablets 4000 mg
    • Omega 3 - 600 mg