May 2017 Moms

Baby Clothes Recommendations!

I started washing the baby clothes and I realized that I have ALOT of really cute dresses, which would be fine if she has a party to go to every day... I've been trying to do some research on what I need and it's confusing. I thought I would enlist some 2nd time moms help!! What do I need? She's measuring in the 49th percentile, and I live in Chicago- so there could be 2ft of snow or it could be100* in May :-). I'm looking more for the practical items/ how many and any suggestions on brands/styles?.... I'm assuming other moms are starting to have the same thoughts/confusions.

Sleepers-
Onesies- 
Bottoms-
Socks-
Bibs- (what are the cutest/best drool bibs?)
Receiving Blankets-
Swaddle blankets? 

Other suggestions?

Re: Baby Clothes Recommendations!

• @Cubslove12 you should check out copper pearl (they are also on Amazon). They have the cutest, softest scarf/bibs. All others I can't say as I got a bunch of each category. I have stayed away from many newborn sizes though. 
  • vrj0522vrj0522 member
    edited March 2017
    I personally dislike separates during the first 3 months or so because of how many diaper changes/blowouts there are so my kids wear a lot of sleepers and all types of one-piece clothes during that time. 

I think that you have to take into consideration the fact that they will have to change clothes at least once a day and potentially during the night too. Then figure out how often you want to do laundry. For me about 10-14 daytime outfits and 8-12 sleepers work well from 0-3 and 3-6 months. I know that sounds like a lot but they go through them fast and for me laundry slows down when I have a new baby.  We use 4-5 swaddle blankets because those also tend to get dirty with blowouts and pee leaks  and 2-3 other blankets for tummy time/car seat. I don't put a lot of bibs on baby at the beginning but we do have quite a few burp cloths to wear when burping baby. Socks depend on how many footless outfits you get.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Loading the player...
  • I am the wrong person to ask.  Between DD's gender neutral hand-me-downs, a random box of boy clothes someone gave me, and my shopping habits, LO's closet is completely full and that's only the up to 6 mos clothes.

On that note, (and not in an attempt to highjack this thread, but I figure it's related) I had similar overstocked wardrobe issues w/ DD so I have a ton of baby girl clothes.  I'm not looking to make a pretty penny off them, but I would like to do something "good" with them.  Anyone have any recommendations? Short of dropping them off at Goodwill, here are my current ideas:

1.  Find a mom in need, or just a friend or friend of friend, and give them to her.  I don't really know anyone who fits this category right now.
    2.  Sell on the internet and donate the proceeds to one of the nonprofits I volunteer with.  I did post a few of our best outfits to a BST page, thought they were reasonably priced, and no one was interested.
    3.  Sell at a consignment store (Kid to Kid or Once Upon a Child) & donate proceeds. I've heard you don't get much bang for your buck.
    4.  Sell at a consignment sale (Rhea Lane's, etc.) and donate the money.  Has anyone done this? The prep process seems like a lot.
    5.  Sell on a Craigslist as a lot and donate money.  Given some pregnant woman violence that has come out of these transactions, this creeps me out.  But maybe I'm being ridic.
    6.  Have a garage sale and donate the money. Ehhh... It's getting hot here and I have so few weekends left before LO arrives.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot What about a women's shelter? Maybe they would be in need of some baby girl clothes. I am lazy and probably will just find a friend and bestow them upon her when I am done with baby clothes, so go you being awesome. 

@Cubslove12 I was gifted an amazingly large supply of gently used clothes and my mother shows her love through gifts (usually clothes), so my numbers are not based on need and just what I currently have. My only tip would be to shy away from shirts when they are under 6 mo. Any outfit that had a shirt and pants the shirt was always creeping up his back when held. Onesies worked better. We also didn't utilized bibs much, but had about 25 prefold diapers that we used as burp rags. They are so absorbent and it is easier to get stains out of white. We have soooo many socks, so I have no idea. But in the beginning only 1 or 2 pair actually fit and stayed on. 

Here are numbers that we have (which is wayyyyyyyy more then needed): 
    Newborn
    Onesies 24
    Pants 16
    Shirts 3
    One Piece/Sleeper 20
    Sweater/Sweatshirt 4

0-3
    Sleepers 22 (13 warm)
    Onesies 42
    Top/Bottom Outfits 5
    Summer One Piece 3
    Collared Shirts 4
    Sweaters/Jackets 10
    Bottoms 16
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD was born early Sept and that month was still pretty warm. A lot of the daytime were spent in a short sleeved onesies or on particular warmer days, in a diaper only (we didn't have A/C). Nighttime would be a onesie with a cotton velcro swaddle. Once it got cooler, it was long sleeved onesies with pants and socks or sleepers. We used only a couple blankets for her to lay on or to snuggle with in our arms but I know others use them more. Dresses rarely got worn before she started walked. We got gifted some so we would at least put them on, snap pictures, be like awwww then go back to her regular clothes. We like being practical ;)

While some say they don't like separates, we personally preferred onesie with a bottom for overnight since most sleepers were snaps (and such a PITA when you button them wrong in the MOTN).

So far, this LO has tons of short sleeved onesies, as well as a few long sleeved and a few sleepers all the way up to size 9mos. When he outgrows them I plan to just sell most of them on local BST for cheap. We also have a bunch of neutral socks from DD and a bag full of NB sized from a friend but we don't expect to use them much during the summer. We'll see on that though!

Also, I wouldn't get confident about sizing right away! DD was born around 50-70% and after a couple months she shot up to 90-99% and stayed there since.

Sorry if this all seems like a jumble, I'm totally distracted by DD who is fighting nap for the second day in a row. Sighs. Shoot any more questions you may have!

• I am the wrong person to ask.  Between DD's gender neutral hand-me-downs, a random box of boy clothes someone gave me, and my shopping habits, LO's closet is completely full and that's only the up to 6 mos clothes.

On that note, (and not in an attempt to highjack this thread, but I figure it's related) I had similar overstocked wardrobe issues w/ DD so I have a ton of baby girl clothes.  I'm not looking to make a pretty penny off them, but I would like to do something "good" with them.  Anyone have any recommendations? Short of dropping them off at Goodwill, here are my current ideas:

1.  Find a mom in need, or just a friend or friend of friend, and give them to her.  I don't really know anyone who fits this category right now.
    2.  Sell on the internet and donate the proceeds to one of the nonprofits I volunteer with.  I did post a few of our best outfits to a BST page, thought they were reasonably priced, and no one was interested.
    3.  Sell at a consignment store (Kid to Kid or Once Upon a Child) & donate proceeds. I've heard you don't get much bang for your buck.
    4.  Sell at a consignment sale (Rhea Lane's, etc.) and donate the money.  Has anyone done this? The prep process seems like a lot.
    5.  Sell on a Craigslist as a lot and donate money.  Given some pregnant woman violence that has come out of these transactions, this creeps me out.  But maybe I'm being ridic.
    6.  Have a garage sale and donate the money. Ehhh... It's getting hot here and I have so few weekends left before LO arrives.
    This is a good idea, I"ve been going to quite a few consignment sales, not sure how they work for cosigners, but women fill up laundry baskets with clothes!! 
  • I have no advice on numbers, I could never tell you counts by item or size from my first. 

My $0.02 would be to not buy too far head and know that sizing varies SUPER widely between some brands and some fit skinny vs chunky babies better. I think I remember the Koala brand from BRU running nearly 2 sizes smaller than Carters for example. I thought I was getting a haul of clothes for the next size from my sister once but because they were a different brand they were actually too small!

May '17 labor memes
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot Or if there is a way to donate to babies in foster care that could be a huge blessing to a family taking on a baby girl. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • @Louise_Belcher  Excellent idea.  I know that one of the consignment sales donates all unsold items to foster care, but somehow I spaced on jumping straight to that option myself.  I have a friend that is fostering a little boy.  I'll see if she has any suggestions for little girl clothes.

May17 Siggy Challenge
    Labor
  • What about socks when they're newborns but it's hot? Do you only need socks if it's cool? Same question for hats. 
  • What about socks when they're newborns but it's hot? Do you only need socks if it's cool? Same question for hats. 
    I hate baby socks. They never ever stay on. I think I've bought one pack for this baby "just in case" but if we are going out somewhere I'll just have a blanket over them. 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot I've lived in two different towns that a church in the area does a huge clothing drive and then basically all the clothes are given to the homeless. 

• To answer the main question:

I think a lot of it has to do with personal preferences. My aunt had a surprise daughter late in life and that little girl is in a dress every.single.day so if you want to dress your daughter in dresses everyday, go for it! 

I hate baby socks just like @hp_momma said. 

DD wasn't much of a drooler, we rarely used bibs until she started real food. On the other hand, my friend's kid was constantly drooling and in a bib 24/7. 

DD was born in Texas in April. She basically lived in Rompers when we were out and a onsie at home. If it was chilly because of our air conditioning, I threw a swaddle blanket on her. When she was sleeping it was a onsie and a sleep sack. I probably had about 5 for her. I treated them like blankets and basically only washed them once a week as long as there wasn't a blow out of anything.

I LOVE swaddle blankets. I use them for everything. I stock up on those. I have probably 2 for each room. I use them for swaddle/blanket/spit up/tummy time/ etc. I also have one in the car and one in the diaper bag. They are so light and are perfect for our hot climate.

Sizing is crazy. Old Navy runs large. Carter's runs small. It's all about trial and error and what fit's on your kids body. DD was long and lean (and still is) buying clothes for her makes me want to put my head through a wall. 
  • sarah0985sarah0985 member
    edited March 2017
    @nda_roxybabe I think it is team green thing. But I'm glad because we have a perfect amount I feel. I feel like a lot of people have resisted getting us clothes so we don't have an over abundance.  
    I'm a FTM so no real experience but I kinda went with "how often do I want to do laundry?" And over-assumed that maybe 3 outfits a day would be a good guess. I then sorted all our clothes by size. (Not what it said on tag but what they sized up to each other as. So I have some 0-3 in my newborn stash if it matches more those sizes) 
    after I sorted I counted how many outfits I had (sleepers counted as a full outfit) and then determined what I still needed. 
    I have a smaller stash of newborn than bigger sizes because I figure I can send someone out to get more if I need it depending on the size of baby when born. (I know a few babies born into 0-3 and didn't want to waste too many newborn possibly) 

plus I know that since we are team green, this baby will get an influx of blues or pinks once my family knows so I operated on a barer minimum

where are people getting good prices baby pants? Just like legging/sweat pants. I feel like they're next to impossible in solid basic colors. ETA. That don't have Ruffles or lace or bows anywhere

TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • Zulily has a whole section of baby "basics" right now that are pretty darn inexpensive. Plenty of body suits, sleepers, and pants!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• @wombthereitis I haven't looked online there. I looked in store when I was home at Christmas and have had my mom looking but didn't look online there. I'll check it out. Thanks!!
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • @sarah0985 I got some basic multipacks from both Target and Kohls as well. I feel like Kohls is cheaper when they have their 10 off 40 kids apparal sale stacked with 30% off

• DD has a TON of cute outfits. Probably not the most practical wardrobe...

NB- 4 sleepers, 7 onesies, 4-5 cute outfits (dresses with bloomers or tops with shorts) and a few pairs of socks. I don't think most babies stay in this size long so I think we'll be ok. 

0-3 or 3-6- 6 sleepers, 10 onesie/pant outfits, 10 random onsies, 2 hoodies, 10 cute outfits. 

• DS was born in MN at the end of May, and he either lived in cute onesies or zip-up sleepers (no socks nor hats) with swaddles for the first four months.  Most of it was Carters because he was tall and skinny (9lbs 8oz but 23 "), and 0-3m and 3-6m fit great during that time and were true to size for him.
  • FTM, but figured I'd weigh in. We have at least 3 of the zipper sacks (I don't know what they are actually calle, but they remind me of sacks), short and long sleeved onesies in various sizes (probably too many NB, but figured we can always exchange them), footie onesies more 3 month, but still a couple in each size, 6 pack of socks MIL got already, 1 pair of shorts 3 mo, 2 pairs of pants/leggings NB and 6mo. There's a bunch of clothes on the registry and I should probably check that they aren't all NB...I think there are a variety of sizes on there as well. I don't think I counted how many rompers we have, but we have quite a few of those because I went overboard! I think they are adorable!! I really need to get them organized in the nursery...once all of the other crap is out of there from moving! Ugh...

"A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • I like the baby leggings from H&M too! 
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot I know you got a few ideas about where to donate, but you could also try your local DSS.  They have access to foster care & people on WIC.  I'm sure there are also foster care agencies in your area that would take the clothes.  
    I'm hesitant to give to Goodwill as my mom and I donated a lot a few years ago (breakable things, electronics, etc) and they basically threw it all in a big dumpster to be sorted. I can't imagine some of that didn't get broken.  
    They also sometimes have those clothing dumpsters in parking lots, and those are legit, as we had one in the local fire dept parking lot in our small town.
  • My last baby had reflux and constantly spit up requiring many outfit changes. I had probably 15+ onesies and 15+ zipper pajamas in each size and I had to do his laundry probably 2x a week to keep up. I had so many burp cloths, swaddle blankets and bibs which were nice and definitely got thoroughly used. I don't think you can have enough of the baby basics, unless you enjoy doing laundry. Nicer outfits, a ton of hats or socks are not necessary IMO.

carters brand clothes have held up the best for me. I don't like most of their patterns and sayings but they have survived many washings. Gerber and the children's place clothes seem to be of the lowest quality to me.

• What are the best burp cloths? 
  • @Cubslove12 Our favorite were prefold white gerber diapers like this. They were super absorbent and easier to get stains out than the pretty printed ones. We had fancier looking ones for when we went out, but had a huge stash of the prefolds for home. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • @Cubslove12 we had the same thing or something similar to what louise said. Cheaper. I have a couple cuter printed clothes for when were out.

• @SomersIsles - here you go.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• redheelerredheeler member
    edited April 2017
    @Cubslove12 +1 for prefolds, I found coloured ones so they look nicer out and about, hand towels are also a great size, as are Muslin wraps if you're short. Bibs are also a must-have for bottle feeding, newborns tend to dribble and spit up if they drink too much! 

It will be coming into winter here when LO arrives so most of my clothes are the footed sleepers, I have about 10 NB and 10 0-3m, also a few long sleeve onesies and footed leggings... I have more socks than I really need and I only bought 2 hats because from memory, they're so hard to keep on! 

Also get singlets! Even if it's hot where you are, a singlet and a diaper are great around the house. Singlets don't seem to cop the abuse outfits do so I have less of those 8 total split between Nb and 0-3.

DS1 was born in summer and pretty much just lived in short-sleeves onesies or singlets, but I was given a heap of these so can't remember exactly how many I would've needed.
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • .... making an effort to not be so much of a lurker on the rare night I actually have time to read and post.... so just thought I'd chime in a bit.... 

I started washing the baby clothes and I realized that I have ALOT of really cute dresses, which would be fine if she has a party to go to every day... I've been trying to do some research on what I need and it's confusing. I thought I would enlist some 2nd time moms help!! What do I need? She's measuring in the 49th percentile, and I live in Chicago- so there could be 2ft of snow or it could be100* in May :-). I'm looking more for the practical items/ how many and any suggestions on brands/styles?.... I'm assuming other moms are starting to have the same thoughts/confusions.

Sleepers-
    Onesies- 
    Bottoms-
    Socks-
    Bibs- (what are the cutest/best drool bibs?)
    Receiving Blankets-
    Swaddle blankets? 

Other suggestions?

1) Target brand clothing has a unique return policy.... you get up to 1 year! So that's alway my first piece of advice.  I love their Cat & Jack line but other brands that are included in the 1 year are Circo, Cherokee, Mossimo, Merona... Keep the receipt!  So, you can take comfort in buying a lot of things and then returning what turns out to be the wrong size.  For example, I bought a bunch of Cat & Jack onesie sets... identical patterns/prints but 1 set in NB and 1 set in 0-3... who knows how big DD will be when she arrives.  I'll just return the set I don't use later.  (for a refund, not just a credit)

So in general, you can buy target specific brands, and buy more than you think you need.... and once baby is here you can decide then if it's worthy of keeping (just don't go crazy and rip off all tags and run them in the wash... tackle that one a day-by-day approach, ya know?)

2) Personally I dressed my first in onesies more than anything else.  I live in New England so I totally get the crazy weather but I still think you'll want mostly summer stuff plus some pants/sweaters/light blankets for cool nights.  

3) I can't say enough about Aden & Anais swaddle blankets.... great for bedtime and for general blankets... I have 4 so I usually have a couple regardless of my laundry rotation.  

4) Also, never underestimate the white onesie.  My first LIVED in these.  You can "dress them up" with different pants or sweaters but also just have them as backup.  
  • Just googled it.... here's the target brands that allow for returns up to 1 year.... 

The following are just some of the current Target owned brand items and collections:
    • Archer Farms
    • Art Class
    • Ava + Viv
    • Boots & Barkley
    • C9 by Champion
    • Cat&Jack
    • Circo
    • Chefmate
    • Cherokee
    • Defy & INSPIRE
    • Distributed by Target
    • Durabuilt
    • Embark
    • Fieldcrest
    • Gilligan & O’Malley
    • Kids Made Modern
    • Liz Lange
    • Market Pantry
    • Merona
    • Mossimo
    • Mossimo Supply Co.
    • Nate Berkus
    • Pillowfort
    • ProSpirit
    • Room Essentials
    • Shaun White
    • Simply Balanced
    • Smith & Hawken
    • Sonia Kashuk
    • Spritz
    • Sutton & Dodge
    • Threshold
    • up & up
    • Wine Cube
    • Xhilaration
    • Yoobi
  • What are the best burp cloths? 
    I'm a huge fan of the OsoCozy brand prefold cloth diaper.  This is a popular size (https://a.co/cEEvMDy) <- amazon link btw.  They're super soft and durable.. I had gerber ones and they shreadded in the wash for some reason??

Another is (another Target plug lol) is to buy "Flour Sack Towels" in the kitchen section.  They're super absorbent, you can actually use them to boost cloth diapers if you go that route, and they're really thin so you can toss one in your purse and it's not bulky at all.  They're not really soft but they're HUGE so you fold them in half once and they're great.  OH and they're ridiculously cheap so you could buy a gazillion without breaking the bank at all.  
  • @SomersIsles I plan on CD and was just reading about using flour sack towels! They are super cheap so I may try them out. I was gifted the gerber prefolds but may exchange them for the osocozy ones that are actually on my registry. Depends on how much of a hassle I want to go through, but Amazon is usually pretty good about returns. Thanks for the tips about Target! Who doesn't go there all the time?!

"A day without laughter is a day wasted." ~Charlie Chaplin
  • @Cubslove12 - I am also in Chicago and am not sure how to dress this baby, since the weather varies so much! DS was born in late November, so he was in fleece, zip up footie PJs (mostly Carter's, just because their sizing is easiest for me) for the first few months of life, which was awesome. I have some cotton (non-fleece) zip ups that I'll have around, but mostly just tons of onesies.

I agree with the folks who hate infant socks- they are terrible. We used these for DS and they are AMAZING. Super warm, adorable, and they don't fall off. 

As far as where to acquire goo, affordable kid stuff, I am a huge fan of Once Upon A Child (creepy name). I wouldn't recommend selling stuff to them, as you don't get much money back. Instead, I've sold to swap.com (mostly newborn heavy winter stuff that I know I won't need), then either used the credit on that site (which is awesome, and also has maternity stuff) or at Once Upon A Child. 
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• I second Once Upon a Child if you have one near you! I've been able to find a ton of name brand clothes with tags still on, and they wear everything for such a short period of time it's a great place to stock up. If you are willing to put in a little time there are some great finds buried in there. 
  • SKZWSKZW member
    @kayemjay2: thank you for the heads up about swap dot com!
  • All I have to say is all of your knowledge is AMAZING!! Thank you so much!!
  • kayemjay2 said:
    @Cubslove12 - I am also in Chicago and am not sure how to dress this baby, since the weather varies so much! DS was born in late November, so he was in fleece, zip up footie PJs (mostly Carter's, just because their sizing is easiest for me) for the first few months of life, which was awesome. I have some cotton (non-fleece) zip ups that I'll have around, but mostly just tons of onesies.

I agree with the folks who hate infant socks- they are terrible. We used these for DS and they are AMAZING. Super warm, adorable, and they don't fall off. 

As far as where to acquire goo, affordable kid stuff, I am a huge fan of Once Upon A Child (creepy name). I wouldn't recommend selling stuff to them, as you don't get much money back. Instead, I've sold to swap.com (mostly newborn heavy winter stuff that I know I won't need), then either used the credit on that site (which is awesome, and also has maternity stuff) or at Once Upon A Child. 
    I shop on swap.com but the selection is SOOOOO vast I wonder how successful it is for sellers?  Did you have success? What kind of stuff (brands) did you sell?