June 2016 Moms
Options

Bactrim

So the doctor office is already closed.  Just got home with bactrim for his ear infection.  Yes, another ear infection.  He goes in for tubes next Tuesday.  Question is, the label says take with plenty of water.  This is the liquid version not tablet.  Should I still chase it with a syringe or two of water, or more?

Re: Bactrim

• Options
    I say it can't hurt.  Give as much water as he wants.  Good to stay hydrated right?
  • Options
    I say it can't hurt.  Give as much water as he wants.  Good to stay hydrated right?
    I would agree
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thankfully I was able to get in touch with a nurse from my Peds sister clinic that stays open later.  She said it would be fine without, and that it must have just been default on a label for that drug. The tablets require water but the liquid is ok.   Of course it also has all the other antibiotic precautions.  I still followed it with a bottle anyway.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that he has to get tubes. After he gets tubes can he still get ear infections? 
  • Options
    Sorry to hear he has to get tubes. My daughter got them when she turned two. After having 7-8 ear infections over seven months she has yet to have one and she's almost three. The nice thing is that if he does get an ear infection with the tubes you can just use drops instead of oral antibiotics. I hope the procedure goes well. Feel free to ask if you have any questions. 
  • Options
    They almost suggested tubes for Preston cause he got 3 infections in two months and almost a 4th.  We are prone to them in our family so I really hope he doesn't end up needing them.  Let us know how it all goes!
  • Options
    I had 7 ear infections in one yr as an adult and was threatened with tubes if I had another.  Thankfully I haven't had one since and it has been 10 yrs. I hope the tubes help him!