Infertility

Embryo Transfer-- that thing about a full bladder....

Okay, so I really, really hate the feeling of a full bladder when I don't have a way to get to a bathroom.  It's the worst, and it's the thing I'm most worried about when it comes to an upcoming transfer (fresh transfer, but my wife is making the eggs).

How long after the transfer do you have to wait to pee?  If you have to lie there, do they bring a bedpan?  Or do you just lie there and try to relax with a full bladder?  Or do you get up, pee, and lie back down?

How long did you sit around needing to pee before the transfer?

I'm the kind of person who can really handle any discomfort if I know what to expect, but I really want to narrow this down (I know, my experience may be completely different from yours, but it would at least help to have something tangible to think about).  So please, what was your experience?
Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

Re: Embryo Transfer-- that thing about a full bladder....

• @KLake42 I laid there for about 25-30 minutes after my transfer, peed & then went home.  They definitely had padding there, probably in case I couldn't hold it any longer but it wasn't as bad as my trial transfer.  I didn't drink enough water for that because I hate that full bladder feeling too and then I had to drink an additional 24oz there.  Just try to think of something else while you're laying there.  I had my husband there and we were just talking so he could keep me distracted.  Good luck with your transfer!! When is it?
  • I would call ahead and check with the doctor's office. I've had 3 transfers, and one of them they were running behind so I had to hold it longer than comfortable. So maybe just check with them to make sure the don't foresee any delays.

Otherwise, the transfer itself is pretty quick, and you can pee right after. : )
    Me: 32, Hubs: 36
    Married: September 2013
    TTC since April 2014, Dx: MFI
    DH started Clomid Oct 2015
    April-June 2016- 3 IUIs: All BFN
    July 2016- IVF #1: 16 eggs ->1 PGS-normal embryo
    Sept 2016- single FET #1: BFN
    Nov 2016- IVF #2 16 eggs -> 3 PGS-normal embryos
    Jan 2017- single FET #2: BFN
    Feb 2017- endometrial scratch
    March 2017- FET #3 (double transfer): BFP!
       Beta #1: 386 (9dp5dt), Beta #2: 1,960 (12dp5dt)
       Pregnant with: Triplets Twins Singleton
       It's a GIRL! :)
       EDD: November 16, 2017
       Dx w/ preeclampsia: Updated delivery date: 10/4/17
    <3 Hazel Summerlyn <3
    Find me on the IG

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told to pee an hour before and then start drinking. After the transfer they said I can go to pee immediately. But I managed to stay for 3 full minutes and then I got up, went to pee and left.  :)
    TTC history in spoiler box:
    Me: 42, single
    Hysteroscopy: 2013
    IUI #1-2: 2013 BFN
    Surgery 10/2015: Planned to start trying again but had a surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Surgery 5/2016: Planned to start trying again but had another surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    IUI  #3-5 (with Clomid): summer 2016 BFN
    IVF #1: 11/2016. 30R; 21M; 20F; 8B (6 day5 & 2 day6); 4 normal after PGS
    Medicated FET #1: 1/31/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFP. Embryo stopped growing at 6w 1d. MUA at 9w 3d.
    Medicated FET #2June 2017 - cancelled...
    Hysteroscopy #2: June 2017
    Medicated FET #2: 8/7/2017 transferred 1 embryo 5BB. BFP. Ended in CP.
    Medicated FET #3: 10/11/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFN
    ERA: December 2017 - need an extra 12 hours of PIO
    Medicated FET #4: 1/24/2018 transferred 1 embryo 4AA. BFN
    Out of embryos.  :'(
    IVF #2: 03/2018.

• liljoy-2liljoy-2 member
    edited March 2017
    I started drinking 45 min before, and drank 750ml, it was just the right amount and timing. They said the bladder was nice, although it got a little uncomfortable for me during the procedure, especially with the US wand pushing gently on my belly. But you get distracted watching the transfer on the monitor, so it's all good. I got up to pee and went home immediately after, no waiting. They said newer studies don't support the lying down theory, in fact blood flow is indicated. But every clinic is different in this aspect, so better to ask for specific instructions beforehand. 
  • I was told not to worry about having a full bladder, but to just not pee once I arrived. I had to lay for 5 mins then I could pee and go.
  • Thanks y'all!  That makes it sound a lot more manageable.

@Aera11 I'm not sure yet when the transfer will be.  The tentative retrieval will be 4/12-4/14, so we're looking at 3-5 days after that vague timeframe.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.

• They made me lie flat for an hour after the transfer but after about 20-30 minutes, I told them to bring me a bed pan. I should've asked for it sooner! No shame in having to pee!
    Me: 34

TTC: 40 months
    Me: endometrial polyps and most recently diagnosed with polypoid endometrium. Mild endometriosis. AMH 4.5. FSH 9.2. TSH 8.5 (recently started synthroid) Everything else normal.
    DH: now an exDH. lol. JUST MEEEEE!
    IVF #1: ER 3/11/17 (5 fertilized) ET 3/16/17 BFP (B#1-113, B#2-534, B#3-3190) MC @ 8 weeks
    TTC with just donor soon!
  • I don't mean to go off topic - this has been super helpful for my own upcoming transfer - but what is a trial transfer? I have only had a mock cycle. Neither my doctor nor my RN have mentioned it to me, so I am assuming my clinic does not do them. Was it requirement for any  of you ladies?

Me 32 H 31
    Married 2013
    childhood cancer survivor - Ovarian Failure
    Donor Egg Recipient
    DE IVF# 1 May 2017 BFN
    DE IVF #2 June 2017 BFP 
    <3  Miscarriage @ 16 weeks Baby Boy Noah  o:) 

• @mc4dj13 my RE did a trial transfer so they would know how far to insert the catheter at the time of the real transfer.  She likes to do it because every woman's uterus is different.
  • @Aera11

Thank you so much, makes perfect sense!

Me 32 H 31
    Married 2013
    childhood cancer survivor - Ovarian Failure
    Donor Egg Recipient
    DE IVF# 1 May 2017 BFN
    DE IVF #2 June 2017 BFP 
    <3  Miscarriage @ 16 weeks Baby Boy Noah  o:) 

• They let me pee 5 minutes after transfer!
    Me: 33, DH: 40
    July 2016: IVF #1 (froze embryos)
    Aug. 2016: Hysteroscopy to remove a few polyps & Laparoscopy
    Oct. 2016: FET #1 BFN
    Nov. 2016: FET #2 BFP (ended in CP)
    March 2017: IVF #2 Fresh Transfer of 2 Blasts = BFP!!! (EDD: 11/27/17)
    Froze 5 Blasts
    DS born on 11/2/17!!!  
    Back to try for Baby #2 :)

• I've mentioned this before but my clinic places a stitch in my cervix during the last us with lining check then uses it to guide the catheter in. No full bladder, no us needed in the transfer. And it worked!

Married: October 2014

Me: 35 DH: 39

TTC since November 2014

Diagnosis: Anovulation from PCOSish without syndrome, Male factors - low motility and morphology issues

April-Sept. 2015 - Clomid and TI - BFN

Dec. 2015- HSG - Clear tubes

Jan., Feb., March 2016 - Letrozole 7.5mg and TI with HCG trigger= BFN

April, May, June 2016 - Letrozole 7.5mg and IUI with HCG trigger= BFN

September 2016 - IVF round #1;ER 9/26 with ICSI on 14 eggs - developed mild OHSS. 

Sept 2016 - 12 non-PGS embryos frozen (5 5AAs)

FET #1 Jan 16, 2017 - BFP!- MC at 6W5d

FET #2 May 8, 2017 - BFP! EDD 1-24-2018

• I had the worst experience ever with full bladder, seriously the pain from all the shots is one thing but full bladder was on another level. My RE wants a absolute full bladder, I drank about a litre inside and apparently it still wasn't enough. It was a ultrasound guided transfer and according to her if the bladder is full she is able to see the uterus perfectly. 
    This was the most embarrassing moment, they had to bring in a pan and then I was relaxing for a while before I went back home.
    but this is just me, I maybe have a small bladder or something.
  • Hello!
    I was laying down with the full bladder for 2 hours straight after the embryo transfer, it felt like hell, I am not gonna lie. certainly it was not the most pleasant experience I had in my life. but time passed quicker than I expected though.
    well, as I was told not every clinic or fertility center has this requirement and some even allow patients to go to the bathroom right after the ET. it is due to those procedures like embryo glue they perform in order to boost the chances of embryos to stick. this is amazing, but I am not sure this is that common even now. I am sure that there are old schooled drs that prefer to advise laying down for 2 hours with the full bladder even if  they have performed some new procedures. 
    I know  that it is  a bit confusing.but you are not going to relax that much though with a full bladder... 
  • It ended up not being that bad.  I arrived one hour before the scheduled ET, emptied my bladder, and then started drinking water.  They kept checking on me.  As soon as I felt like I would really like to go pee now, they pulled me into the room and ran an external ultrasound to check the size of my bladder.  It seemed right, so they went ahead and did the transfer a little early, so I wouldn't have to sit around with a full bladder.  I barely felt the bladder, since the speculum was so uncomfortable. 

I had about ten minutes of real discomfort, and then it was done!  I laid there for five minutes, and with the relief of *not* having the speculum in there was so good, I wasn't bothered by the bladder.  Then I got dressed and went home.

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.

• Yayyyy for a comfortable ET, fx for a sticky bfp!!!