Pregnant after IF

Randoms: Week of March 27th

Have any thoughts, questions, feelings, fears? Spill them here!

This is a good place to ask questions to a broader audience than the weekly trimester check-ins so those with experience can chime in!
*** TW**

Me: 37, DH:39
Met: 2002 | Married: 2004 | TTC since January 2014
July 2015: MMC @ 9 wks | August 2015: Chemical
March, April, May & June 2016: Medicated IUIs | BFN 
August 2016: Started Stims 8/22
September 2016: Egg Retrieval 9/4 | 13 Mature Eggs | 10 Fertilized | 3 Blastocytes | 1 PGS Normal Embaby 
November 7, 2016: FET - BFP!
EDD 7/25/17
Zoey Alexis born 7/25/17 @ 12:39 PM | 7lbs 14oz | 19 inches

Re: Randoms: Week of March 27th

• edited March 2017
    Hi all. I posted this in 3rd tri, but I wanted to share it here in case we have any grads or second-time moms with insight.

I'm 34w3d today. On a normal day I get about 8-10 BH contractions. A couple of evenings last week and then again last night, I started having a lot more of them, much closer together. Last night, they got as close as 3-4 minutes apart. Most of them don't hurt (a couple of them did). My OB has told me to lie down and drink 20 oz of water when this happens. Last week, it helped and they eventually stopped, but last night it only helped a little bit. I had a few more contractions through the night and am having them about every 30-45 minutes this morning. 

I try to stay hydrated but am still dealing with lots of nausea (still on diclegis at 34 weeks). It's also worth mentioning that I'm under a good bit of stress right now finishing up the last bits of my PhD, applying for jobs, and trying to get ready for the new baby's arrival. (Last night I was up working on a job application that was due today - not exactly a relaxing evening...). I don't think I'm in early labor or anything (no discharge, blood, or water breaking). But it's definitely a little bit alarming to have so many contractions so close together.

Anyone have experience with this?
    *** Trigger Warnings ***

TTC #1 since March 2011
    Dx = Unexplained IF
    1 medicated TI cycle & 4 clomid IUIs = all BFNs
    June 2013 IVF #1 = 6 frosties + BFP!
    DS1 born 2/14

TTC #2 since December 2014
    May 2015 unassisted BFP ended in m/c at 7wks
    April 2016 FET #1 = BFN
    June 2016 FET #2 = c/p
    August 2016 FET #3 = BFP!
    DS2 born 4/17
  • @BlueEyedDreamer Did they offer Stress test or ultrasound ? I think they might want to monitor more closely in this situation. I guess BH contractions are very common and I had few times they were 7-10 min apart but they went away eventually. But I was already at around 38-39 weeks by then. If you want copy this post to New Mom thread, there were few Moms who might have experience. Also BH contractions usually pick up at night and definitely dehydration and stress could trigger. I had my PhD few years ago, so I totally understand your stress! I will not say `don`t stress` because it is useless. But know that it will be over soon one way or other. Best of luck with the thesis and job search. I hope you can enjoy the last weeks of your pregnancy and the baby to the fullest!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey @blueeyeddreamer
    I had the above.
    My due date was 11nov and in August my little girl decided she would start laying in position.
    I had some discomfort, but not knowing what it was.
    As I didn't feel movement they took a CTG scan and saw I had BH. Which was the discomfort I felt.
    They told me to slow down.
    Unfortunatly I had no time to slow down, I had bought a house, was quitting my job, sold my apartment, packed everything, got paperwork ready, moving countries, painting my new place, unpacking (one of my uncles helped and asked my aunt when coming home if I knew that I was pregnant) a lot needed to be done!
    At 36 weeks I moved from one country to another and got a CTG scan every other day. Not due to BH, but because I couldn't feel movement (had an anterior placenta) 
    My water broke at 38 weeks, and I quickly got real contractions with no break. She was born in 4,5 hours.
    Probably due to the BH my body had gotten slowly ready for delivery and it only needed my waters to break to finish it of.
    My midwife never worried that I had a lot of BH and that they were regular, as they never stayed. 
    I got told that if I had them close to each other I should take a break and if possible a hot (not too hot of course) shower or bath. They should then get further apart or go away.
    Should they stay close to each other then I should call and check with my midwife.
    For me, if they got close to each other and I listened and took a break (not easy..am a control freak) they indeed went away or came less often.

I know that not stressing or slowing down is not easy to do. I couldn't.
    But if you manage to take a break when you have them, so you're body can relax for a few minutes, then do so! Hang in there, you are almost at the finish line. 

**********************************************************************************************************************************

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I was right there with the other ladies. I had contractions for a few weeks before the baby was born. My water broke at 37 weeks and I'm sure it was bc of all of the stress that I had leading up to that. We were buying/building a house, work was crazy and it was right before the holidays. Life is crazy so try to take it easy when you can. 
    Me: 33 (no known issues)
    DH: 33 (lower motility; 0 morphology)
    TTC since Oct 2013
    IVF round 1 January 2016 (w/ ICSI)
    ER: February 17, 2016; 15 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 8 sent for PGS - 5 Normal
    FET date: April 12, 2016 - DS born Dec 7, 2016
    IVF round 2: FET : Oct 4 - 1st Beta 188!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @BlueEyedDreamer with my daughter, I had these when stressed also. My sister actually went into labor around 32 weeks and they stopped it (she would've been fine but the preferred to wait! ;) and they literally said stop doing so much. So much easier said than done. Baths at night became my best friend :)
  • Thank you ladies for all the feedback! I remember having BH with my DS, but they were just not nearly as frequent or as strong. I'm glad that at least it's normal, although it does sound like maybe a sign that I could go into labor early(ish), which is good to be aware of. Today has been much better, with a lot fewer contractions.

I definitely think it is linked to stress, as I have noticed when I get an email or phone call that triggers more stress, the contractions get worse! I'm going to try (hah!) to stay away from those triggers and to try to relax a bit more (so much easier said than done!). 

@ZoeFer I will definitely mention this at my next check-up. I mentioned it at my check on Friday, and they didn't seem too concerned - just told me to stay hydrated and lie down if necessary. They have noticed during my NSTs that I do have more contractions than they expected, but again they just didn't seem that concerned. Thank you for the good wishes with finishing school and finding a job! I need all the good luck I can get! :)

*** Trigger Warnings ***

TTC #1 since March 2011
    Dx = Unexplained IF
    DS1 born 2/14

April 2016 FET #1 = BFN
    June 2016 FET #2 = c/p
    DS2 born 4/17
  • Hi ladies! What would you suggest as a gift to someone (two someones actually) who gave me all their maternity clothes and other items like books, the Nest pillow, etc since they are done having kids. Both individuals have two kids under 3, one about to head back to work after ML. I really am grateful and just want to send something more than a card or flowers. TIA!
    *** TW**

September 2016: Egg Retrieval 9/4 | 13 Mature Eggs | 10 Fertilized | 3 Blastocytes | 1 PGS Normal Embaby 
    EDD 7/25/17
  • @byrneme a gift card to a spa/nail salon for mani/pedi would be nice! I bet they would love being pampered like that!
    *TW - Pregnancy mentioned*
    Me: 28 DH: 33, Married May 2014
    3 failed IUIs Dec '15 - Feb '16
    IVF April/May 2016 - 1 failed fresh transfer. 11 snow angels.
    1st FET 7/29/16 = BFP
    Lawson arrived on 4/24/2017 at 7lbs 15oz, 21 1/2 inches long!
    Surprise pregnancy!! Baby #2 due 10/11/18 <3
  • kelrauhkelrauh member
    edited March 2017
    @BlueEyedDreamer - I had contractions 2.5 minutes apart for 2 hours last night but they weren't progressing pain wise so I never called. I talked to my ob today and she just said if it gets worse and doesn't go away then I need to call because that's labor. But if it doesn't get worse and goes away then its okay. 

**Trigger warning**

Age: 25 DH: 28 Together since 2011, Married May 2014 and TTC since April 2015

MFI (3% morphology) 

3/16 - IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

4/16 - IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

6/16 IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

8/19/16 - IVF - 

• Retrieval 9/4
    • Transfer 9/6
    • 9/16 - BFP 1st Beta -110 
    • 9/20 - 2nd beta - 762
    • TWINS!!!! EDD 5/28/2017

• @kelrauh I'm sorry you are dealing with these contractions, too! I can definitely tell that they are not labor. Only one every now and then will actually be painful. But it's not fun when they get 3-4 minutes apart - that's for sure! And it just makes me worry that something else is going on, but it looks like it's probably just stress in my case... 
    *** Trigger Warnings ***

TTC #1 since March 2011
    Dx = Unexplained IF
    DS1 born 2/14

April 2016 FET #1 = BFN
    June 2016 FET #2 = c/p
    DS2 born 4/17
  • What monitors did everyone register for or buy? After reading about them being hacked I'm not sure what is safe and not. 

**Trigger warning**

MFI (3% morphology) 

8/19/16 - IVF - 

• Retrieval 9/4
    • Transfer 9/6
    • 9/20 - 2nd beta - 762

• @kelrauh we have a Motorola, 3 years going strong. It's wearing now but I think we'll get it again for next kiddo. A lot of my friends use the ones where you can monitor from your phone, they seem great, just we go on date nights and I didn't want to be staring at my phone wondering if my LO was asleep yet. Many of them DO want that and will be out to dinner checking their monitors on their phones so just personal preference :) 
  • hello!  @Polythene Pam m-thanks for recommending me to this board!

I just had my first early scan yesterday at 5 weeks 1 day.  They said it measured 4 weeks 6 days...people say this is normal, but I am making sure!  I did IVF and transferred two blasts, but they saw one sac and yolk sac.  They said they saw everything they needed to see, which was a relief.  I have so much anxiety about all of this, as I am sure we all do.  My next OCD is that some people say they saw a heartbeat flicker...I didn't see this, and they didn't point it out.  I asked when we will see the heartbeat, and the ultrasound tech said I will come back in two weeks.  Is this all normal?  Congrats to everyone, and thanks for listening to my nervous rant!  Looking forward to getting to know everyone, and hoping we are all posting here for 9 months!!!!
    Me: 33, DH: 40
    July 2016: IVF #1 (froze embryos)
    Aug. 2016: Hysteroscopy to remove a few polyps & Laparoscopy
    Oct. 2016: FET #1 BFN
    Nov. 2016: FET #2 BFP (ended in CP)
    March 2017: IVF #2 Fresh Transfer of 2 Blasts = BFP!!! (EDD: 11/27/17)
    Froze 5 Blasts
    DS born on 11/2/17!!!  
    Back to try for Baby #2 :)

• @LoveDontCostAThing - welcome!! And congrats! You dont normally see a heart beat until 7 weeks. It is possible to see one at 6 but it can be difficult. I would not worry about not seeing one as you are quite early. 

**Trigger warning**

MFI (3% morphology) 

8/19/16 - IVF - 

• Retrieval 9/4
    • Transfer 9/6
    • 9/20 - 2nd beta - 762

• @LoveDontCostAThing Congrats on your BFP! Everything you wrote sounds very normal to me. Measuring within 1 week of your "actual" gestational age is normal, and 5 weeks is really way too early to see a heartbeat. Most REs don't do a scan until 6-7 weeks, partially due to the anxiety that you are feeling now! It's just hard to get much information from a scan so early on. Try to take comfort in the fact that they saw everything that they expected to see - that is a good thing! Good luck with your next scan in 2 weeks - hopefully they will be able to provide you with some more reassuring information.
    *** Trigger Warnings ***

TTC #1 since March 2011
    Dx = Unexplained IF
    DS1 born 2/14

April 2016 FET #1 = BFN
    June 2016 FET #2 = c/p
    DS2 born 4/17
  • @LoveDontCostAThing congrats and welcome! So exciting! I echo all PP, things seem right on track. Can't wait to see updates of your journey. This group is such a godsend - so supportive - so we are here if you need anything.

@kelrauh  - we registered for this one, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VC558JA/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_ttl?ie=UTF8&colid=3HBPWVTHXO0S&coliid=I1XN37A5N5A7HZ&vs=1 

@babylonghorn16 thank you! Such an easy, and appreciated, gift!

*** TW**

EDD 7/25/17
  • @lovedontcostathing glad you joined!! I had a 5 week scan as ectopic is a concern for me and that was all we saw too, then checked for heartbeat at 7 weeks with another ultrasound. Sounds perfect!! Then you get released to your OB and if you're me you miss the extra ultrasounds haha. Congrats again!!
  • thank you @Polythene Pam!
    Froze 5 Blasts
    DS born on 11/2/17!!!  

• @kelrauh we have a Motorola monitor. Has good reviews and is decently priced. Features I appreciate: zooms in and out, plays music, has 2 way voice, displays room temp, has pretty big screen! I guess I will know how much I REALLY like it when baby is actually born... but I'm happy with it for now. I don't like the whole "watching baby while I'm away" thing like pp said, so I stayed away from those kinds. Hope that helps!
    1st FET 7/29/16 = BFP
  • @kelrauh We are using a standard one-way walkie type monitor. We didn't want the anxiety of staring at a video screen, and we had our concerns about it being hacked too. It works just fine for us as it has the little lights that light up when it registers sound, so even if you had the volume turned down you could see 

---Trigger warning---

Me: 31 DH: 27
    TTC since April 2013
    Two cancelled IUIs in Aug and Sept '15 due to low motility/count
    IVF round 1: January 2016
    ER: February 17, 2016; 9 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 5 BB, 1 AB, all normal from PGS
    FET date: May 11, '16; transferred 1 AB embryo
    First beta: May 23, '16: 998!!  Second: May 25, '16: 1648
    EDD: January 27, 2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you everyone for the reassuring updates!!!!  I am happy to have this community :)  Everyone on the IF board was and is so helpful.  It's great to connect with ladies who understand each other!
    Froze 5 Blasts
    DS born on 11/2/17!!!  

• And how do I get my ticker to show up??  It's driving me crazy.  I have the code, but the code keeps showing up in my signature instead of the ticker!
    Froze 5 Blasts
    DS born on 11/2/17!!!  

• @kelrauh We got this one from amazon due to the awesome reviews: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ECHYTBI/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_ttl?ie=UTF8&colid=3NZBAB3PXTENA&coliid=I1QIQHNJOL75LD I've been told to avoid the wifi ones as those can be hacked. This one seems great so far!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • @kelrauh We have an Infant Optics video monitor - it's just the model previous to the one that @wifeinraleigh28 posted. It's been going strong for over 3 years now and we have not had any problems with it whatsoever. Great quality for the price!
    *** Trigger Warnings ***

TTC #1 since March 2011
    Dx = Unexplained IF
    DS1 born 2/14

April 2016 FET #1 = BFN
    June 2016 FET #2 = c/p
    DS2 born 4/17
  • 2legbaby2legbaby member
    edited March 2017
    @kelrauh I got the one @wifeinraleigh28 links above and so far am loving it ( not that it has been very often since we got home-its hard not to want to hold her all the time!)but a few times when she is in her bassinet sleeping and I do a few errands I will take it with me I can see her  little breathing movements up and down and hear every noise she makes, the book Baby Bargains also recommended it highly!
    ******TW*****
    Me 39 DH44
    Married 8/2/14
    TTC 9/14
    Dx: PCOS, blocked L fallopian tube, suspect poor egg quality
    MFI (low #, poor morphology)
    IVF #1 9/15 Failed
    IVF #2 12/15 Failed
    1st DE FET  5/16-BFN :(
    2nd DE FET 7/18-BFP :)
    8/17 Baby HR 140/min EDD 4/6/17
  • Hi!

So I just had my 37 week appointment. She said I went from 30% effaced last week to 50% effaced this week. Not sure what this means in terms of when baby could arrive, but I've heard that it doesn't matter - baby could come at anytime regardless. I guess I just want to hear what y'all think, know, or have heard!
    1st FET 7/29/16 = BFP
  • @babylonghorn16 Woo! Unfortunately, they really come whenever they are ready. I was only 1cm dilated but 70% effaced at my 39 week apt, and then my water broke 5 days later. A friend was almost 4cm for 2 weeks before her baby showed. But it is a good sign that you are thinning out. :) did you get told if you were dilated? If I remember, being effaced is more indicative of labor than level of dilation.

---Trigger warning---

Me: 31 DH: 27
    TTC since April 2013
    Two cancelled IUIs in Aug and Sept '15 due to low motility/count
    IVF round 1: January 2016
    ER: February 17, 2016; 9 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 5 BB, 1 AB, all normal from PGS
    FET date: May 11, '16; transferred 1 AB embryo
    First beta: May 23, '16: 998!!  Second: May 25, '16: 1648
    EDD: January 27, 2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a birthing question that I can't say I thought much about prior to being asked at my appt the other day....
    Is delayed cord clamping the normal procedure now in anyone else's hospital as well? - I honestly didn't know much about it. For my hospital, it's their standard practice now (waiting 3-5 minutes/cord stops pulsating), but they also said or you can choose to wait until the placenta is delivered altogether/stops pulsating - I need to do some more research on which way to go but anyone with advice?
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• We had to cancel our hospital tour yesterday (I've been hit by the cold truck :( ) so I'm not sure it is standard at our hospital but it is something we want to do, especially after I learned you can delay AND bank  (provided you don't go past 3 minutes). I took this from an article I read: The recommended time for delaying cord clamping given by the World Health Organization is 1-3 minutes, so your baby will receive the many health benefits of delayed cord clamping and have plenty of time and materials remaining for banking cord blood. I'm curious though on other people's findings!
    *** TW**

EDD 7/25/17
  • @dragonfaerie Thanks! I'm not dilated at all. Hoping that will change next week. I JUST read that effacement is actually a better indicator of labor than dilation, so woo hoo! Not trying to rush baby or anything, just feeling anxious!

@JWatt5 That's a question I consistently forget to ask my OB. I think it has become common practice in most hospitals. I believe my hospital delays for 1 min... but you can ask them to go longer. Not sure the increased benefits of delaying for >1 min though. I found this statement online: "...the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists now recommends a delay in umbilical cord clamping in vigorous term and preterm infants for at least 30–60 seconds after birth."

You can read more here: 
    https://www.acog.org/Resources-And-Publications/Committee-Opinions/Committee-on-Obstetric-Practice/Delayed-Umbilical-Cord-Clamping-After-Birth

Hope that helps!
    1st FET 7/29/16 = BFP
  • @byrneme - I'm sorry you have been hit by a cold, I caught one too. I was going to ask my ob about this as we have decided to do cord banking. If you find somwthing out please post it as I would like to know. 

**Trigger warning**

MFI (3% morphology) 

8/19/16 - IVF - 

• Retrieval 9/4
    • Transfer 9/6
    • 9/20 - 2nd beta - 762

• @byrneme @babylonghorn16 - Thank you!!

The 3-5 minutes they said was because what they're actual goal is that cord has stopped pulsating, so I guess that keeps them from just cutting at 3. But if cord blood banking they said it's one minute. Then of course, any complications it can all go out the window. From what I understand, if you chose to wait until you've delivered the placenta, the cord remains attached even longer. 

This is the best article I could find for why my hospital does it, as this is where I'll deliver. (It's a news article but I can't, so far, find very many articles about the longer than 1-3 minutes that are Canadian based). The Cocharan Collaboration report was also cited in the article from ACOG (thanks babylonghorn16)
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/delaying-umbilical-cord-clamping-better-for-baby-mcmaster-expert-1.1302906

TTC #1 07.2015
    TTC #2 06.2019

• @babylonghorn16 that's a great sign! I was pretty standard, dilating slowly, got my membranes stripped when I was 3cm and went into labor the next day (on my due date). My friend sat at 4cm for 2 weeks, my sister had zero progress but my niece made a fast appearance out of the blue. I actually can't remember effacement but know it went up as I dilated. You're so close! If it's anything, I was moody and started a fight with my husband and had my first major contraction mid fight, haha. So that might've nudged us ;)

My hospital did a few minute cord delay but nothing major. So interesting what they can do!
  •  Hey ladies, I just wanted to share this TEDx talk about delayed cord clamping. I was speaking to my midwife about whether delayed cord clamping is the routine procedure at my hospital and she pretty much reminded me that as a patient I have every right to ask for this as part of my birth plan (although it is pretty standard). If you're making a birth plan and this is something that you want, make sure you put it in your plan and speak to your practitioner about it before hand. Remember that this is your birth story, and yes the medical professionals are there to help guide you but ultimately you can make the decisions about how you want to birth your baby. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw53X98EvLQ&amp;app=desktop
    **TW**
    Me & DH - 31
    TTC since December 2011
    Diagnosis: Unexplained, although mild polycystic ovaries (not syndrome) and irregular cycles
    2013/14: 6 rounds clomid,
    Aug 2015: IVF #1 = Antagonist Cycle: 100 Puregon and Orgalutran
                                     21 eggs collected, only 1 viable embryo, transferred but BFN
    July/Aug 2016: IVF #2 (with acupuncture) = 87.5 Gonal F and Synarel Spray 2xdaily
                                          ER 8/8, transferred 1 day 5 blastocyst 13/8, 2 frosties.
                                          Beta #1 = 85  Beta #2 = 242
                                          EDD 1st May 2017 *Baby Boy*

• @teriulbricht - Thanks!!!
    TTC #1 07.2015
    TTC #2 06.2019