July 2017 Moms
Options

FFFC

Where is everyone at today? It's Friday! Time to confess!

Re: FFFC

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    FFFC: I dont think kids should have their drivers license until they are 18. I just dont think they have the maturity or understand the reality of danger at the age of 15 or 16 but I do get that parents cannot always drive them to and from jobs and school. However its like some of them just think they are invincible and drive like maniacs. Maybe its just me that sees it that way but looking back as I get older the thought is just scary.
  • Options
    MrsZeno said:
    FFFC: I dont think kids should have their drivers license until they are 18. I just dont think they have the maturity or understand the reality of danger at the age of 15 or 16 but I do get that parents cannot always drive them to and from jobs and school. However its like some of them just think they are invincible and drive like maniacs. Maybe its just me that sees it that way but looking back as I get older the thought is just scary.
    I totally get what you're saying, but I think you could cite all the same reasons as an argument for why people should learn to drive while they are still under their parents "control."  Of course that's assuming everyone has good parents who will help them understand responsible driving. But if you don't have that at 16, you're still not going to at 18.
  • Options
    DS1 doesn't have school today. Instead of doing anything productive, I've allowed him to watch TV since 9am; it's now 11:15am, and I have zero plans to stop him anytime soon. I'm sick with a cold (again!) and I just have no energy to make this rainy no-school day educational or magically fun. TV will have to do. 
  • Options
    Because I can't have wine right now, I have eaten some kind of chocolate or treat every night before going to bed because life has just been tough lately. I have no shame. 
  • Options
    FFFC I'm searching for an inexpensive bridal shower gift for a wedding I'm in because she only did a money registry and I refuse to be forced to do that.

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    kat0607kat0607 member
    edited March 2017
    @MrsZeno I understand where you're coming from, but in my experience there are way more adults who drive like maniacs, because they're either over-confident or just negligent. Its hard to generalize by age, because some teens are more mature than some adults, honestly. 

ETA: Re-reading this I think I might have contradicted myself...? My main point was that it's hard to generalize by age because age doesn't equal maturity necessarily. 

My FFFC is that I actually don't mind the cheesy baby shower/bridal shower games. I think they're mildly entertaining and I don't care if someone thinks my belly measures 5 feet around, haha.
  • Options
    FFFC I'm searching for an inexpensive bridal shower gift for a wedding I'm in because she only did a money registry and I refuse to be forced to do that.
    When SIL got married, I made her gift because I had already spent 1k on her wedding BS.  Her wedding gift cost me about $3 to make (I actually spend more on her card then her gift).  And honeymoon funds and cash only registries are TACKY!  
    ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• Options
    A money registry? I've never heard of that. One thing I like to do especially for more established couples who have all the typical wedding stuff already is a gift certificate for a "date night" to a nice restaurant in town. Is that an option?
  • Options
    @AdaByron I never thought about it that way. Responsibility is a huge part of it. I assumed which is silly because I had a responsible educator who taught me to drive, I've never forgotten what they said.
  • Options
    I totally agree with the money registries being tacky. I had a cousin who wrote a note on her registry saying how she doesn't want meaningless gifts they won't use. But, she was asking for money for things like her dream kitchen. The whole thing rubbed me the wrong way. 

My FFFC is that I love watching murder mystery shows. I find them so interesting!! My DH thinks it's really strange. 
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited March 2017
    We don't do registeries at all, it's entirely upto guests on weddings what they want to do, and mostly people give money in an envelope and a card with a note etc, I find giving money easier too BUT particularly saying money only sounds BAD!.

fffc: my hubbys changing jobs so these two very nice ladies/coworkers who I've never met sent me aden and anais swaddles, shower robe for baby, and a cute white fluffy jacket 3-6 months, and a very cute card. I feel awful but, I am just and going to return all of it and chose things myself. 
  • Options
    Ever since the private group started, I've been extra conscious of my posting, like wondering whether I'm funny and clever enough (probably not) or if people are liking what I'm saying (judging by the exactly zero love its on my UO yesterday, I'm guessing not). I think I need to get a grip. 
  • Options
    I would do the same. I hate being forced to give money. I feel like it's greedy but that my POV with that. My SIL tried that crap for her baby shower, that mind you she kind of didn't officially invite me to. But she text my husband later about not having received a gift from us for her baby. Which we planned on getting once baby was born. He talked it over with me and we bought her an attachment for her stroller.  (A stroller she can't afford but likes to walk around like she makes more money than she really does) anywho.... 
  • Options
    How do you even run a shower like that (yes, I'm still hung up). "Thanks Aunt Sally! Everyone look at Aunt Sally's check for $75! Oh, here is the money from next door neighbor Bertha. She gave me $30 in singles - we all know where she gets those!"
    LOL yes! I mean, I almost always give money for weddings, but showers are for GIFTS. That's the whole point of a shower. It's not a fundraiser.
  • Options
    How do you even run a shower like that (yes, I'm still hung up). "Thanks Aunt Sally! Everyone look at Aunt Sally's check for $75! Oh, here is the money from next door neighbor Bertha. She gave me $30 in singles - we all know where she gets those!"
    Yea a shower with no registry is strange. I get it for the wedding (because you don't open the gifts in front of guests - and most people just give money anyways). But if you don't have a registry, I don't think you should have a shower. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    It's a rainy gross day today so I am making it a PJ and TV day, DH is out of town and I need a day to just "relax"

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    When SIL got married, I made her gift because I had already spent 1k on her wedding BS.  Her wedding gift cost me about $3 to make (I actually spend more on her card then her gift).  And honeymoon funds and cash only registries are TACKY!  
    THIS.  I really don't like them.  She did a registry at BBB, but there were only 13 things on it.  There are three items that were discontinued and can't be found.  One thing is over $250, and the rest have been bought.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    WTF is the point of the shower with only a cash registry? 
    RIGHT!???  Not to mention this is going to be her second shower now.  I don't get it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've bought 6 pairs of new shoes/sandals this week. Oh well lol it's rare to find cute shoes in my small size, and I hit the jackpot this week with sizes. I always go shopping with intentions to get myself things, never find anything I like and end up buying DS a whole new wardrobe. Makes me more excited for good weather!! 
  • Options
    LM1007 said:
    I've bought 6 pairs of new shoes/sandals this week. Oh well lol it's rare to find cute shoes in my small size, and I hit the jackpot this week with sizes. I always go shopping with intentions to get myself things, never find anything I like and end up buying DS a whole new wardrobe. Makes me more excited for good weather!! 
    I love sandals. I own way too many, since they're usually way more affordable than winter shoes! But I'm on a shoe-buying freeze at the moment, since my feet grew the last time I was pregnant, I don't want to buy anything that might not fit for long. I'm also assuming my feet will swell and I'll only be able to wear flip flops for most of June/July.
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    LM1007 said:
    I love sandals. I own way too many, since they're usually way more affordable than winter shoes! But I'm on a shoe-buying freeze at the moment, since my feet grew the last time I was pregnant, I don't want to buy anything that might not fit for long. I'm also assuming my feet will swell and I'll only be able to wear flip flops for most of June/July.
    Ahhh, I can't wait!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    I had an August baby (who was due in September) and flip flops were life for the last couple of months! I wish I could wear them now. I would but I've gotten side eyed by my MIL for wearing flip flops in colder weather so now I'm embarrassed lol. 

Another FFFC: I would wear flip flops in pretty much any weather except snow. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• Options
    I have flip flops in my purse right now, and I'm on my way to get a pedicure so I can change into them. It's going to be over 70° today!
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited March 2017
    @LM1007 your good lol, it's the season, enjoy! they always have nicer things around this time and I always get into the shopping for myself only mode during march/April. I just got myself an entire maternity wardrobe because I need to feel my best, be ready to go anywhere without squeezing into fifty clothes that don't fit anymore. Have myself rganized and ready to go and then get busy with nursery. 
  • Options
    @AdaByron I was hoping my feet would grow with my last pregnancy and this one. I fit in a size 3-4 in kids and sometimes can get away with a 5-5.5 in certain heels/woman shoes. It sucks having tiny feet, except price sometimes is a plus for my size. But yeah I'm a little concerned for swelling, but the ones I bought have some wiggle room or flip flop style. I lived in flip flops my last pregnancy too. 
  • Options
    I'm a tad late the to the party but re: driving: In addition to what everyone else said, it's not about age, it's about when you start driving. A driver who starts at 23 is just as dangerous and likely to cause an accident as a driver who starts at 16. Experience actually driving really matters when it comes to driving, not just over all life experience. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    @BusyZee Lol well I definitely bought some clothes to go along with my shoes ;) but exactly cause I want to feel good, and nothing fits anymore! 
  • Options
    I had an August baby (who was due in September) and flip flops were life for the last couple of months! I wish I could wear them now. I would but I've gotten side eyed by my MIL for wearing flip flops in colder weather so now I'm embarrassed lol. 

Another FFFC: I would wear flip flops in pretty much any weather except snow. 
    I wore flip flops all the time in high school and got so many comments about it. I even wore toe socks when it was cold. In my defense, I have really bad (large and flat) feet, so regular shoes hurt and we were too poor to get custom shoes.

My FFFC is that I still wear some of my toe socks under my regular shoes when I need to do laundry and all of my real socks are dirty. Not ashamed!
  • Options
    greenbean-2greenbean-2 member
    edited March 2017
    Re: driving. Experience matters for sure. But brain development also matters. On average, our brains continue to develop into our mid-20s.  The last piece to fully develop controls impulse control, risk analysis, and decision making - all of which can make someone a safer driver. 

Edit it to add my FFFC: my office is warm, there's almost no one here, and I'm really tempted to just put my head down and take a nap. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Re: cash registries--YIKES. I would buy something inexpensive or make a gift as well! 

@Poppyseed72017 I can't believe that. If someone guilted me about not getting a gift I'd be tempted to say "oh it must have gotten lost in the mail..." 

FFFC: on my second Starbucks of the day. I have a long break in between a meeting and TAing, and there are two SB within a 5-minute walk.... and when I get a drink of course I need a snack too.  :#
  • Options
    I will preface thus by saying I hardly ever use our hot tub because it takes a couple hours to lower the temperature to pregnancy safe range. But my back hurt so bad last night I got in. I was only planning on being in for a few minutes because I knew DH wanted to watch a hockey game, so I was going to put DS to bed. But it was almost bedtime by the time it was cool enough, and when I came in, DH had already gone upstairs to put him to bed. So I got back in the hot tub for another half hour or so, then came in after he was asleep and went straight to bed. I'm pretty sure H was still able to see the last half of the game.