July 2017 Moms

PSA: Seventh Generation Class Action Settlement

Seventh Generation Class Action Settlement

If you purchased Seventh Generation products between Nov. 14, 2010 and Oct. 12, 2016, you may be eligible for payment from the class action settlement. File claim by March 30, 2017.

Eligible products include certain baby care products, personal care products, dishwashing products, laundry products and other household products.

The Seventh Generation class action lawsuit takes issue with the labeling of certain products as "natural," "non-toxic," and/or "hypoallergenic."

Class Members of the Seventh Generation settlement include U.S. residents who, from Nov. 14, 2010 to Oct. 12, 2016, purchased in the United States certain Seventh Generation products for household use and not for resale.

Class Members who file a claim without providing proof of purchase may seek reimbursement for 50 percent of the average purchase price for each of the eligible products they purchased (up to 10 products). Payments may be adjusted on a pro rata basis depending on the number of claims filed.

https://svgclassactionclaim.worldsecuresystems.com/svg_claim

Re: PSA: Seventh Generation Class Action Settlement

• Hmm... so we actually just decided to change to seventh gen. products and now I'm second guessing myself. They haven't shipped from amazon yet, maybe I'll canc
  • rnw2019rnw2019 member
    edited March 2017
    Ooh, I may be able to get a little bit of money from this. Not much, but everything helps.…. Thanks @Twinkiedoll!

@sakeefer I just read recently that their products aren't all as eco-friendly as they market them to be. I know Environmental Working Group rates household cleaning supplies, and I'll probably use the site to find a better laundry detergent once ours runs out: https://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners
  • Loading the player...
  • Argh. I love their products and have been using them for years, and they are the best/cheapest of the naturals offered in store for me. I can probably get money too, but I have no receipts or anything. Sigh. Now I'm going to have to look into this, 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • StacyH0507StacyH0507 member
    edited March 2017
    wow, we use to buy their products a lot but we never saved any receipts. 

edit: spelling

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Ugh. This sucks. I use laundry soap and dish soap of theirs. Love it! 
  • I use the chlorine free bleach because we don't ruin our clothes!

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • TwinkiedollTwinkiedoll member
    edited March 2017
    @LoveLee85 and @StacyH0507 my understanding is you don't need receipts. You potentially get more back if you do, but you can still file a claim without and get some money back.

ETA: tagging @kerils since she also mentioned not having receipts
  • I am trying to get my paperwork together for this. I've been ordering the wipes monthly from amazon for 6 years, it's like 700 dollars worth. I'm upset that this is what I've been using to wipe my kids' faces for years thinking it was safe.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I use their toilet bowl cleaner and that's about it.. 
  • @rjoys8 the EWG gave the dishwashing pods an A rating which is why I ordered them. I just double checked to make sure I wasn't crazy 
  • The crappy part is that in order to be eco, chemical free, anything to that extent, you really have to do your own research.  It's unfortunate because you should just be able to trust the company when they say that.  It's the same with "organic" branding.  Serta has an organic crib mattress that my friend pointed out to me and I told her no, it's not organic. She lashed back with, "Well ... how can they say that then?"  Because they can.  And I went into the whole speel about what can be classified as organic and in the end most items aren't really.  It's honestly, so much work.  I don't personally mind it because I'd rather be on my computer looking up stuff like that then watching an episode of some stupid TV show but the amount of literature out there gets overwhelming.  

I see they are attempting to boost their image by offering free samples in return for good reviews. 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Any recommendations for some good dishwasher liquid or pods, preferably pods, that work well? I just cancelled my amazon order for the seventh generation stuff I ordered. 
  • Thankfully the only seventh generation product I use is diapers. 

@sakeefer I use Ecover tablets and they work very nicely. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• @sakeefer that's good to know! I feel like those are totally fine then, if a third-party review says they're good. I guess the issue is that based on their branding you come to expect that everything they make is good for you and the environment, when in fact it varies widely from product to product, and like @stokesm21 said, you have to do your own research to figure out which is which. Yay for EWG! 

And @stokesm21 I've totally had that conversation with my mom about food too. "It says these eggs are all natural," well what else would eggs be? "Farm fresh!" That phrase means nothing. 
  • @yellow1daisy Amazon has 40% off when you buy 3 Seventh Generation Diapers (or other "sensitive skin" products) right now.  For the diapers or baby wipes, it stacks with the 20% Amazon Family subscribe & save discount

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/adlp/sensitiveskin

• Anyone have a rec for baby wipes that are actually safe and at a similar price point? I don't want to continue to use the seventh generation ones but I can't afford to bump up to honest or something in that price bracket.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the tip @Twinkiedoll !
    @nikkiandchris we use water wipes but I'm honestly not sure how they compare price wise. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• @nikkiandchris I second the water wipes as a great (i.e. better) alternative ($34 for a pack of nine (60 wipes each from amazon - not sure how that compares price-wise).  We use them when we aren't at home.  At home, we use DIY wipes.  My toddler has hypersensitive itchy skin and mild eczema and it's the only way I can keep him comfortable and his bum happy.  We make a batch every week (full disclosure I do have his nanny help me make it but it only takes 15-20 minutes).  I've never actually priced it out, but online I've read DIY moms say it saves money.
  • @rjoys8 when I went back to the EWG cleaning guide it has an A rating but when you click on the ingredients the questionable ingredients (same involved in the class action lawsuit) are given poor grades. So, that's enough for me to look into other options. I'm thinking about attitude products, I need to look in to them more and find out where I can get them at a good price. I was happy that I could just do subscribe and save on amazon for the seventh generation stuff but I'll just find something else. 
  • Honestly with products like this, it is so hard to figure out what is right, especially when there is the additional factor of cost. I try to opt for the products that are "less bad" rather than "safe", since safe can be so relative and hard to quantify.