March 2017 Moms
Options

Getting labour to start 39 weeks

Hi everyone,

I am passing 39 weeks pregnant. Just wanted to know if anyone has had any their doctor help promote labour and did it work for you. I had my OB give me a membrane sweep 6 days ago and all that happend was that my mucus plug came out over the following 2 days. No cramping or contractions. 3 days ago I my OB also gave me a stretch, she stretched me from 2cm to 3cm. I did have some blood, lower back pain and some cramping but then it stopped. I haven't had anything else happen since then. 

Re: Getting labour to start 39 weeks

• Options
    I'm 41 weeks tomorrow. I have had 2 stretch and sweeps and have been walking around 3-4 cms since 38 weeks with no mucous plug  (lost that at 37). DH and I have a lot of sex. I walk and drink raspberry tea while bouncing on my ball. The fact of the matter is, baby isn't gunna come until he or she is good and ready regardless of what you do. I don't really think any of the labour inducing things work, while we do know sex with ejaculation promotes cervical change, nothing is gunna work unless your already going to go into labour soon. Just hang tight mama, it's gunna happen in less the 3 weeks! Feels like forever I know, with my son I was 41 weeks 5 days!!  
  • Options
    I'm 39w1 day today. I'm ok with the wait except for my upper back started hurting yesterday and has been hurting all day now. Feels like I pulled a muscle. I'm like @kaylaef baby will come when ready. I'm still working but Friday is my last day. If I'm still pregnant next week I'm going swimming while everyone is at school maybe it will relax me.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @hisqueen78 I swim too. it's soo nice I can stretch in there like I can't on land. Reallllly helps my back and sciatic! 
  • Options
    I have a very similar story , went at 37wks cervix high and closed , 38wks was 1cm and soft , 39 weeks got my first stretch and sweep had cramps that fizzled out and lost my plug . At 40 wks I had a second sweep 4cm and 80% cramped all day and started regular contractions the following morning at 5am had my baby at 646pm . I drank rrl tea, used epo vaginally and orally and walked a lot . My baby was sunny side up so I did a lot of pelvic tilts and used my labor ball to help turn baby into a better position and move down the pelvis too . 
  • Options
    Walking, sex, nipple stimulation, RRL tea

None of it will really work unless baby's ready to come. They help things become more intense if you're in early labor (make random contractions stronger & more regular), but won't necessarily start it from zero.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017