September 2017 Moms
Options

Books!

Okay, so I know this thread was posted before in the very beginning... but now that maybe we've read a few or had the chance to get some as gifts I was wondering what everyone is loving? 
I just received the boom "Knocked Up" by Rebecca Eckler this weekend... and it's been the best thing. It really helps to make you feel not so crazy. And I really recommend it. I finished it in 2 days. :lol:
What have you read that you loved? What helped you the most? I'm looking for more!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Books!

• Options
    Okay, I just saw another one of these down at the bottom of the thread and I feel like such an airhead. Just ignore me, y'all. I'm so sorry. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Aww, I opened this in hopes of it being a "what are you reading for fun" thread. I need more book suggestions. Can we change it to that kind of thread???
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That works! I'm totally good with it, mine still fits! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mrsmarygs said:
    Aww, I opened this in hopes of it being a "what are you reading for fun" thread. I need more book suggestions. Can we change it to that kind of thread???
    Yes! Me too, lol. And I neeeed suggestions. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've honestly been re-reading my Harry Potter series. :smiley:
    But, this Knocked Up book is from the POV of a FTM, as she goes through all the crazy things we are. It was really fun, much less informative, and had me cracking up the whole time. Which has been much needed with my moodiness lately. I really need some more books to read too! I was really looking for more fun ones like that rather than the week by week suggestions we have all had before. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @HollyGolightly09 What type of books do you read? I used to read a ton of romance and suspense, but lately I've just been reading the top YA books (i.e. The Maze Runner, The Selection).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    For something entertaing and somewhat related. A while back, I read Diary of a Mad Mom to Be by Laura Wolf. It's actually a sequel to Diary of a Mad Bride. I was thinking about re-reading. It was pretty funny. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Options
    @mrsmarygs I love YA books! I kind of hit a wall and felt like I had ran out of good ones, lol. I also like romance books, and chic lit. I used to read a lot of historical fiction....I like suspense, as long as it isn't bloody, murdery suspense. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a baseball freak, so I'm currently reading The Baseball Codes. It's interesting, if not exactly a page-turner. But I just finished I Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella and I liked it.  Also anything by Jenny Colgan (I loved Little Beach Street Bakery).  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    On the YA train. There's a writer named Aimee Carter. I met her a few years back on a writer's cruise. Haven't read much of her stuff, but the descriptions remind me of Maze Runner type books. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • Options
    @MadisonInspires I couldn't even tell you how many times I've read my Harry Potter books! I reach for those and my Outlander books all the time.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @HollyGolightly09
    Yep! My phenomenal best friend just bought me a new boxed set of all of them for Christmas. I've been slacking due to all the baby stuff, but I'm currently halfway through #3 again. I'm the same way.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't particularly have any baby or pregnancy themed books to suggest. I read some with DD but hardly remember them. Buuuut if you all would like to hear about some of my other reading adventures I would be happy to share!!! I literally read anything I can get my hands on. I am never without a book. The good, the bad, the ugly. I will read it. Lol

The past few books I have read err more on the young adult dystopian fiction type. These are the ones I've read recently. I'm not good at reviews. I'll do my best. 

Caravel by Stephanie Garber-I was completely enthralled by it. It's about these sisters that dream of going to see the magical Caraval performers and they get a chance to buy once they do it's a lot scarier and more unpredictable than what they expected. Lots of twists and turns. 

The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid- Takes place in space sometime far in he future. Diabolics are these supposedly soulless humanoid creatures charged with the protection of one person who becomes their whole world. It follows around one particular diabolic through a whole mess of things. 

The Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card is a great series for people into science fiction and all that jazz. The books are way more profound than the movie, I promise. 

The Dark Days club by Alison Goodman is quite interesting. It has a sequel called the dark days pact. It takes place in 19th century London and has a lot good vs. evil. Chosen ones against demon type things with a lot of historical references in between of the goings on in London during that time period. 

I'm currently reading Scythe by Neal Shusterman. It's about this utopian world that conquered death, famine, war, etc. but in an age where mortality is no longer an issue they still have to have population control and the scythes decide who gets to live or die. 

I could go on and on but I should probably give it a rest for now. I love books!!! 

• Options
    @Msashley2010 Thank you! The Dark Days Club sounds really good, I'll have to check that one out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I read a ton of YA too! Some of my favorites from the last year or so...

-Rainbow Rowell's books Eleanor and Park and Fangirl. Has anyone else read them? They are phenomenal! (Though I will say, Rainbow does not shy away from the profanity.)
    -The Reckoners series by Brandon Sanderson. It's basically all about evil superheroes, and it's amazing. 
    -The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater. I seriously haven't been this obsessed with a book series since Harry Potter. I will definitely read again!

Right now I'm reading Caraval by Stephanie Gerber, and The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. So far I like Caraval, but I want to hold judgement because an ending can make or break a book about magic. And as a writer, I am enthralled by the way Patrick Rothfuss can turn a phrase. He's just a beautiful writer. 

• Options
    I read a ton of YA too! Some of my favorites from the last year or so...

-Rainbow Rowell's books Eleanor and Park and Fangirl. Has anyone else read them? They are phenomenal! (Though I will say, Rainbow does not shy away from the profanity.)
    -The Reckoners series by Brandon Sanderson. It's basically all about evil superheroes, and it's amazing. 
    -The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater. I seriously haven't been this obsessed with a book series since Harry Potter. I will definitely read again!

Right now I'm reading Caraval by Stephanie Gerber, and The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. So far I like Caraval, but I want to hold judgement because an ending can make or break a book about magic. And as a writer, I am enthralled by the way Patrick Rothfuss can turn a phrase. He's just a beautiful writer. 
    I haven't read any of those books you listed above but I know what's going on my list for next book trip :) 

I won't spoil anything but I really thought Caraval was an amazing book. 
  • Options
    I'm loving these suggestions! I'm going to have to get out my kindle and start downloading. 
    Some books I have loved rereading:
    -The Selection (pretty popular in the YA crowd)
    -Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier (older book, written in very much of a Wuthering Heights style, a Gothic mystery romance)
    -The Attolian series (The Thief, The Queen of Attolia, The King of Attolia) A great fantasy book with a Grecian flair. If you just get thru the Thief it's totally worth it. 
    -Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman series- For any Jane Austen fans, this is an awesome trilogy from Darcy's pov.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Msashley2010 I'm about halfway through Caraval, and so far I really like it. And Scythe is in my TBR stack, you'll have to let me know what you think hen you finish it!

• Options
    cmar1006cmar1006 member
    edited March 2017
    I am currently reading the 3rd Cormoran Strike books by Robert Galbraith aka JK Rowling. I really enjoy the murder mystery type books. 

I plan to reread Harry Potter again this summer. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    lap018 said:
    I have an 18 month old.... what ARE books?
    Things like Knuffle Bunny and Pete The Cat... lol
  • Options
    One mother to another by Melissa mowry is good it's not a typical parenting new mom book. It gives the good the bad and the ugly and is intensely honest! She also has a blog that she won't be adding new material to but will keep up for others to read!
  • Options
    I'm all over some Sandra Brown novels lately. However, I was just told by a co-worker about how good The Magnolia Story is and I got that for Christmas... I think that will be my next read. 
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • Options
    I saw Caraval at the bookstore a few days ago but ended up putting it back... I may need to read that if y'all are enjoying it! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I just read the newest Anne Bishop book (Etched in the bone). I highly recommend it (first in the series is written in red) 

im reading the lord John books by Diana Gabaldon as I wait for "go tell the bees that I am gone." 

Ill be stalking the page 
  • Options
    @awildrose I read The Magnolia Story and I really liked it.  

I thought of a mom book I liked - Bringing Up Bebe.  It was interesting to read how the French raise their kids and how they view parenting. Now I want to reread it.

BabyFruit Ticker