Saying GOODBYE to our LO ?? — The Bump
October 2017 Moms

Saying GOODBYE to our LO ??

Hi ladies please excuse me for posting this as a new thread. BUT I am in need of some advice. I awoke this morning and peed. I always glance at my TP to check for any spotting..due to my history of MC. I noticed red specs on the tp, and thought the worst. I waited 15 minutes and peed again, this time I had pink stain on the tp. I made the choice to call my OB and the MA was able to get me in for a U/S at 9AM this morning. So fast forward to that appt.  I have a abdominal U/S to start but the tech said she needed to do a Transvaginal one. The tech said she needed to show the doctor. Comes back in to say she couldn't find the HB (Mind you at my first dating scan I measured a week behind 6.4 but according to LMP I should've been 7.5. We got the HB right away that day @125..this was 3/2/17. I was told to go see my OB, so I waited in his office and he came in to say there was no HB and said I had options for how I wanted to handle the MC. What I'd like to know is should he have checked my cervix...done HCG levels? In the office I didn't think to ask any of those questions bc I was holding back tears. My mind was racing trying to listen and not break down. He asked which option, I said the D&E. (With my past MC's I passed everything naturally) I asked if he thought this was the best way. His response was no bc he usually gets a call in the middle of the night that the Mother is hemorrhaging, and then he has to perform surgery anyway. So that is why at that moment I said D&E. Now the hospital has me added to the surgery list for today after 6pm. My question is do you think I should go and ask for another ultrasound? My DH said the tech said she was new at this..I missed that part bc I was in the bathroom changing. Do you think her experience could have played a small part in not finding the HB? Today our LO measured 7w1day, (I wasn't told that I looked at the screen) Do you think i should go to the Hospital and ask for another Ultrasound, while I'm the for the D&E?? I've gone to use the bathroom 3 times since 8:30AM and haven't had any spotting, nothing on my underwear either.. I'm really confused and don't want to get my hopes up. I wish I would've asked him to check my cervix. Would that have mattered? I don't have any severe cramping really none at all. Minor twinges but nothing of real concern. I am so sorry this is so long. I didn't think I wanted to post anything but my heart says it's worth a try. I appreciate any insight! I also want to apologize for starting a new thread, I'm a mess trying to stay strong for my DH. I don't want him to see me cry. Thank you all!! 

Re: Saying GOODBYE to our LO ??

  • I'm so sorry. With my MMC back in 2013 they did an ultrasound that showed the baby was smaller with no HB and I did ask for a follow up before D&C which concluded it was a MMC. I am hoping yours will have another outcome though. Sending love.  <3
  • First of all I am so incredibly sorry you are going through this. Secondly, I think if you want a second ultrasound to be sure you should absolutely get the second ultrasound. 
    BFP #1 9/26/12 MC 10/6/12
    BFP #2 1/8/13 Baby Boy Born 10/2/13
    BFP #3 12/13/16 CP
    BFP #4 1/12/17 MC 1/27/17
    BFP #5 3/11/17 EDD 11/2/17

  • So sorry <3 

    If you have any doubts at all, ask for a second ultrasound. I hope it works out for you <3
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am so so sorry you are going through this. If there is any question in your mind then definitely request a second ultrasound!
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • I'm so sorry.  I would do another US and ask for HCG levels today and tomorrow.
  • If you have any doubts at all, please do another u/s or else you may always wonder "what if" 

    we had two MMCs last year, D&Cs for both but I asked for one last u/s with each. The sac was measuring smaller in one case and the other the baby had not grown and confirmed no HB. I felt more reassured and it helped with the procedures, I knew it was it. 

    Hoping you can get thru this. Take care. 
    Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP#1: 9/9/2014 DS born 4/7/15
    BFP#2: 6/16/2016 MC/D&C: 7/29/2016
    BFP#3: 10/14/2016 (fingers crossed for a sticky bean)
  • So you think it would be okay to go to the hospital as planed, and once there ask for the U/S beforehand?? I've never had a D&E or anything like it.. do u know if they do an internal exam before the surgery or would I also have to ask for that too?? Thank you all for responding!
  • Just echoing what others have said...request a second US. No matter the outcome, you'll feel better about it. There's no harm in asking. Thinking of you today.

    *O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • When I had my D&C, they did not do any sort of confirmation at the hospital unless it was after I was already asleep. I think I would call my doctor back today and ask their input - if they can either get you in again today or if the hospital would do it. I'm sure you would not be the first person to request something like this.
    BFP#1: 12/3/13 EDD 8/15/13. Heartbeat found on 12/26/13, HB gone on 1/4/13. D&C 1/7/13
    BFP#2: 4/19/13 EDD 12/28/13. Team Green for pregnancy and Baby Girl arrived 12/21/13.
    BFP#3: 2/9/13 EDD 10/18/17. Team Green for Round 2!

    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this. I agree with everyone else, if you want more information or another opinion, ask for another ultrasound. 
    October 2017 June Siggy Challenge -- "You Had One Job!" 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @learnliveloveit on the day of the surgery you are not going to be given a chance to an u/s unless maybe if you're histerical and throw a fit. The schedule on the day of is very tight. You often wait for other patients. You don't want to go in with doubts. It's a horrible thought so request the u/s for reassurance in advance of the procedure. I doubt the surgeon will even take the extra minute to take an u/s. 
    Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP#1: 9/9/2014 DS born 4/7/15
    BFP#2: 6/16/2016 MC/D&C: 7/29/2016
    BFP#3: 10/14/2016 (fingers crossed for a sticky bean)
  • +1 to asking for a second ultrasound.
    Me: 29 DH: 30 
    TTC #1 May 2016
    BFP Jan 2017
    Due Oct 2017 
    Baby boy born Sept 2017
  • canonmom413canonmom413
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited March 2017
    I would request one. With my first MC, I had spotting and an U/S in office which showed a slow fetal HR and my levels had low progesterone. Was put on progesterone supps. I had full flow over night and went to the ER. They did a scan without me asking just to be sure. I had already passed part , but there was still tissue needing to come out so they did a D&C. You need to have 100% reassurance that is what your body is going through.  Prayers for answers and healing. I would also be adament as ask for blood work while there too. Go early. 

    Pregnancy Ticker
    Oct. '17 June S.C. "You Had 1 Job"

  • Yes, request one and don't let them talk you out of it. You need to be certain or you'll always wonder. So so sorry you are going through this. 
  • I agree that if you have any doubt at all, request another ultrasound before you do the procedure.
  • I have nothing to add as I agree with everyone, just wanted to say I am so sorry you are going through this.
  • I'm so sorry you're going through this. Sounds similar to my second mmc, although I saw the follow up u/s on the screen and knew baby hadn't grown and no longer had a heartbeat. If you feel strongly that you want that confirmation then definitely ask soon! Sending hugs. It's not easy, and don't try to hide your emotions, you and DH will get through this. 

    Me.30 DH.31 
    BFP 8/28/15 mmc @ 11 weeks (d&c)
    BFP 9/28/16 mmc @ 8 weeks (d&c) - trisomy 5
    BFP 2/3/17...edd 10/13/17 <3

  • I think you absolutely should ask for another ultrasound if it will put your mind at ease. As far as the internal exam, you can have a MMC and your cervix still be closed. In fact, that's why it's a MMC, because your body hasn't let the baby go yet. With mine, the baby had stopped developing at 7.5 weeks and at the time of my D&C at 12 weeks, my cervix was still closed. One hcg test won't tell you much either as there is such a wide range of normal with the levels. The only way it would be valuable is to have repeat draws done a few days apart. 

    Ask for that second ultrasound (and a different tech!) and if there is still no heartbeat then you can be sure. I'm so sorry you're going through this. Huge hugs. 
  • I'm so sorry you're going through this. With my MMC in the Fall, my OB would not confirm anything until confirmation with either a second US or HCG levels dropping. I would definitely request one of these before going in for the procedure. 
  • I think get follow up u/s too. Just so you know. You can't go through life wondering. Don't let them talk you out of it either. 

    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • So sorry that you are going through this. I echo the others. I would want to be 110% sure before going forward with the procedure just for peace of mind.  You don't want to have doubts or ask yourself what if. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Definitely get the follow up. I didn't after an ultrasound with no heartbeat because I was too stupefied by the time I got to the point where we were deciding what to do about the MMC and it definitely creeps into my bad days. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. My heart goes out to you and I hope you can take care and surround yourself with love right now.
    Renee, 32 + Devon, 27 married 08/13 <3
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    BFP 12/15/15 EDD: 08/26/16
    MMC discovered 1/25/16 at 9 +3
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16
    Dx December 2016: unexplained 
    January 2017: 50 mg Clomid + TI =
    BFP #2 01/30/17  Please be a sticky baby!
    EDD: 10/15/17  Measuring ahead! 10/12/17 

  • @learnliveloveit ; Were you able to get another ultrasound? Thinking of you and hoping you are okay.

    **June Siggy Challenge: You Had ONE Job!**

    LO#2 EDD October 18th 

    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Is there an update on this?
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards