October 2017 Moms

What is the 2nd ultra sound for?

I'm Canadian and my 2nd ultra sound is scheduled for when I'm 12-13 weeks. Does the Canadian system see you every month for an ultra sound? (Ontario) waiting on an obgyn appointment btw

Re: What is the 2nd ultra sound for?

• edited March 2017
    Hey there, I'm in Ontario, too. Toronto specifically. Insurance varies wildly by province. I am having my second ultrasound at 11+1 and it is the Nuchal Translucency test, which is an optional screen for possible chromosomal abnormalities. You have to get bloodwork done the same day as the ultrasound. It is covered by OHIP for all pregnant people but you would have had to agree to it when your doctor explained to you what it was. My next ultrasound will be the anatomy scan around 20 weeks, so definitely not monthly.

I can't tell you otherwise, so you'd best speak to your doctor, or whoever gave you the referral, to clear up any confusion you're experiencing.

Edit: You might consider calling Telehealth Canada to ask more specific questions. It's important to know why medical procedures have been requested for you. I've spoken to nurses on the phone several times and they are also super helpful and kind.
    Renee, 34 + Devon, 29 married 08/13 <3
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    BFP 12/15/15 EDD: 08/26/16
    MMC discovered 1/25/16 at 9 +3
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16
    Dx December 2016: unexplained 
    January 2017: 50 mg Clomid + TI =
    BFP #2 01/30/17  Please be a sticky baby!
    EDD: 10/15/17  Measuring ahead! 10/12/17 
    Ambrose born on his due date!

• That sounds like the Nuchal Translucency Scan. I'm in NS and it's only offered here to women 35+ or if there are other high risk reasons. Other than that, you shouldn't get another until your 20 week anatomy scan (barring other medically necessary reason). 
  • Loading the player...
  • Hey!  I'm in Ontario too,Hamilton specifically. In my experience the 12 week and 20 week our standard ultrasounds. The only reason to have an ultrasound earlier than 11 or 12 weeks I think is if you are a special case or if you request it because you had losses in the past etc. but otherwise  I don't think they would normally do one until 12 weeks.now luckily, we have covered midwifery care so if you have a midwife you will see your midwife once a month for the first half of your pregnancy, twice a month later on and weekly as it leads up to you your due date which is amazing!
  • Ok yes I did ask for all the details of the baby. My sister in law said she only had 2 ultra sounds so I didn't want to make my husband come if it wasn't a gender reveal. 
  • Yes Inthink they do that at the 20 week. And you can always request more ultrasounds if you want. I have two extra ultrasound of my last pregnancy and they were both covered at no cost to me 
  • Canadian here too :) That u/s is the NT test. It's the first test that generally shows any genetic abnormalities. I suggest doing it (it's optional) because it's results (as inaccurate as tehy seem to most) can be helpful should something show up on the anatomy scan (19 week scan). I skipped it with my first two and it made my son's genetic testing take longer than it would have so now I get it each time. The best part though, haha, is that it's the ultrasound where your baby will look like a baby but it's whole body fits in one frame, it's really adoable to see.
                                          Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
                                                                     Formerly ChoicesMom
                                                                         "Squishy" 2007
                                                           "Lyric" EDD Nov/4/11 - c/p Feb/11
                                                                            "Fishy" 2012
                                                                            "Bean" 2014
                                                             "Lux" EDD Apr/21/17 - c/p Aug/16
                                                       "Kokonah" EDD May/24/17 - m/c Oct/16
                                1 surprise - 1 Noonie - 1 preemie - 3 gone but not forgotten - One more on the way!!
                                                          Grab bag of mental health disorders
                                                                              Pancolitis

• Have any Canadians gave birth in the USA? I love 30 seconds from the states and although I want my obgyn to be in Canada and do everything in Canada what happens if I have my child over there? My husband is American which is why I ask.