September 2017 Moms
Options

Self tanning?

tiki8286tiki8286 member
edited March 2017 in September 2017 Moms
So, let's start out by saying that I am pasty white. I tan amazingly well however I have tons of freckles/moles and since having kids 5 years ago, I'm terrified of any more skin damage that could lead to cancer. Therefore, I am left with being pasty white haha. I do live in AZ and it's bikini season (oh joy) already so I wanted to see if and what you ladies use, if anything, to appear tan? 

I just purchased a self tanning mousse by Jegens - applied it only to my legs today. I'm pretty impressed with it!! I don't look orange and it's not streaky - I don't think. Will have to have DH let me know when he gets home. 

There is a gal on in a local moms group on FB that does spray tans and says they are safe to do when pregnant but I have very little experience with it. Last spray tan I had was for prom 12 years ago! Haha 

Re: Self tanning?

• Options
    What do I do to make myself look tanner while not actually tanning?  I stand next to pastier people than me. 

I don't really have any advice. I just wear spf 30 and get whatever tan comes my way since i still tan while wearing sunscreen. 
  • Options
    What do I do to make myself look tanner while not actually tanning?  I stand next to pastier people than me. 

I don't really have any advice. I just wear spf 30 and get whatever tan comes my way since i still tan while wearing sunscreen. 
    Lol this is exactly me haha! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Stand next to pastier people. I wish there were a pastier person than me. My first was tanner than me when he was born, and he spent 10 months without exposure to the sun. I've for a long term used a Jergen's lotion that has tanner in it. My provider said there's no concern about it getting into the bloodstream or anything since it's topical and the dye doesn't actually soak into the skin.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • Options
    My mom uses the bergen solution and loves it. I use nothing, because I'm honestly ok with my pastiness. :)

• Options
    Lizlann said:
    Stand next to pastier people. I wish there were a pastier person than me. My first was tanner than me when he was born, and he spent 10 months without exposure to the sun. I've for a long term used a Jergen's lotion that has tanner in it. My provider said there's no concern about it getting into the bloodstream or anything since it's topical and the dye doesn't actually soak into the skin.
    Same here. My dad (who gets a beautiful dark tan) insists the sun bounces off my skin because it's so pale, lol. 

I've been wondering about using sunless tanner, too. I would be skeptical of spray tans, just because you breathe it in. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Add me to the pasty white club!! I am so white that people...even strangers...frequently feel the need to comment on it. I also get freckles really bad on my arms, back and shoulders.

I am going to watch this thread for suggestions because I am definitely going to want to wear shorts this summer and am not sure what to do about my white self!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 34 | DH: 31
    Married: Nov. 7, 2015
    TTC Since: February, 2016
    BFP: December 20, 2016

• Options
    I have friends that swear by the rodan and fields self tanner. I personally haven't used it but there results are pretty awesome. I embrace the pastiness during the winter and since we live 20 minutes from the beach and have a neighborhood pool I get super tan during the summer months which last from April to October here. My tan fades quickly but I tan really well for a ginger lol. I used to be a tanning bed user until I had DD and I quit and never went back. Now I wear 15-30spf and reapply frequently, wear hats, cool off in the shade quite frequently; we also try to avoid the sunniest part of the day for our daily trips to the pool. 
  • Options
    Highly recommend to utilize the search function. There are literally dozens of threads on the subject from different boards (search under all.)

Hate to be the buzz kill but topical lotions/creams and gels can absolutely get absorbed. Particularly when being applied to a large area (like the entire body.) There are some organic tanners. I don't use them but if I were to, I would consult my OB first. I'm sure there is a safe option.

• Options
    I use fake bake.  Order it on Amazon.  Its not orange at all.  It has color on it so you can see where you put it, then let it develop for 6 to 8 hours and wash it off.  I just put it on before bed then rinse it in the morning. It doesn't rub off on my sheets.  Any I've gotten on my underwear washes out no problem (i wear underwear sometimes so i can have a tan line lol).  Hands down THE BEST stuff I've ever used.   

Me: 31    DH: 36

Married since 11/25/2013

#1 (bio)  born 01/18/2006

#2 (bio)   born 09/08/2008

#3 (step) born 02/17/2009

#4 (our 1st together)  EDD 09/09/2017

Pregnancy Ticker