March 2017 Moms

Bottle & Formula Feeding Tips/Tricks/Questions

I know there aren't as many of us, but wanted to start a thread for bottle and formula questions/tips/tricks. Anyone running into problems or have any questions??
Alex
married to M since 6.13.09
T - 3.3.14
A - 2.24.17

Re: Bottle & Formula Feeding Tips/Tricks/Questions

• We switched Atti from Similac to Similac Sensitive after day 1 when we saw reflux was an issue, and we'd been using it until a few days ago.. for some reason he got really constipated and was just passing poo that was more like play-doh. So we switched to Gentlease, and after some initial gas pain he seems better? Though his toots have gone from odorless to could-clear-a-room. 

Anyone else buy a Baby Brezza Formula Pro? Got one on clearance at Target, but after our constipation issues I'm really worried it wasn't distributing the right amount of water/formula, so we're basically using it as a water warmer now.  :/
    Alex
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Got a Baby Brezza, use with Dr Brown bottles. I tried Phillips amd that was not so good 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm trying to find a good way to slow the flow in my boobs.  And today been having serious headache, is that associated with the breastfeeding halt or is it something else?
  • @datalover13 I am actually headed to the store to
    buy the Baby Brezza after our 2pm feeding!! A twin mom friend of mine swears by it. I read in some reviews that parents put plastic wrap under where the formula drops in and then weighed it to make sure that the calibration was correct. You could try that?

My boys have been taking Enfamil Gentlease for the last 2 weeks and they have been much less cranky. They were on similac at the hospital, then similac for supplementing, then Neosure for preemies, then Enfamil newborn before landing on Enfamil Gentlease.

I noticed that Enfamil seems to dissolve a LOT better than the similac. I found myself having to shake similac bottles FOREVVVER.

Tips:
    - Don't be afraid to tell the pedi that you are formula feeding! They get so many free containers from the formula companies and chances are they have plenty to spare. They gave me two CASES at their 1 month appointment. They also were helpful in giving different types so we could try a bunch out before deciding on the one the boys tolerated the best!
    - Dr Brown bottles!!! They are a pain to clean but my guys are so much less gassy, fewer spit up incidents. Babies R Us is always giving away holiday ones if you spend $25 or more so you can end up with quite a few for free throughout the year! They also do preemie nipples which was awesome when my guys were itty bitty.
  • Day 4 of no milk (or colostrum) in my stubborn attempts to breastfeed. I had tumors removed from my breasts years ago so they think this has affected my body's ability to produce breast milk. I'm still pumping (all with zero results) in hopes it will still stimulate something, but in the meantime we are relying on similar in Dr. Brown's bottles with the anti colic. All other bottles just don't flow correctly for my little one and she ends up with too much milk and choking on it. If your dr. Brown's bottle nipples are flowing too fast, try out the preemie nipples - they are amazing! 
  • @JustAnotherUsername16 Sorry to hear that you're having issues breastfeeding. I know that it can be super emotional if you had planned on breastfeeding and have to resort to formula. 

Let me know if you need/want to talk about it.
  • Sending you creepy internet hugs @JustAnotherUsername16 ❤ 
  • @JustAnotherUsername16 I feel ya on the breastfeeding. I pumped nearly every two hours and it took like 4 days before I got anything other than one or two tiny drops. I'm 16dpp and only get maybe 2 ounces total per 30 minute pump session. Ugh, so frustrating, especially when I have 3 babies to feed! I'd definitely suggest the old wives tales: oatmeal and some sort of fenugreek.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• @JustAnotherUsername16 I'm right there with you on the breastfeeding issues. I had a supply issue with my son so I have everything under the sun in my arsenal to try and get this going in the right direction. All the herbs, mothers milk tea, brewers yeast, lactation cookies, domperidone, a hospital grade pump.... And I'm still barely producing. So I have been topping her up with formula, which I had been prepared for being a possibility. She's full and happy and that's my main concern :)  
  • Is anybody else having issues with Philips Avent bottles? My son seems to be having trouble latching onto the nipples at the start of feedings. Once he does manage to, he seems to want to suck on them but not swallow the formula he gets out. I have to constantly stop him so that he takes the time to swallow. 

I don't mind him not just gulping down formula, but what do I do about the swallowing issue? Do I just continue doing what I am and hope it gets better as he gets older? He's only been using these bottles for a couple of days.
  • How long should it be taking to finish a couple ounces of formula? I'm using Dr Brown's and I'm considering switching to the preemie nipple, just to slow down the consumption rate.  I swear she can finish 2 oz in 5-7 minutes and that's feeding every 3 hours (doctor's orders, since she lost too much weight at her first appointment and we are trying to bulk her up)
    Me: 36  DH: 35.
    Married: 8/2005.
    BFP: 6/22/2016 EDD: 3/4/2017.
  • @ShannonJ96 Every time I used Phillips Avent, I had major spit up, switched to Dr Brown, ever since just minor spit up that every baby has.  

Anyone's baby at some feedings, eats a lot and other feedings slightly less?  I tried pushing for him to eat the larger amount at one of the lesser feedings, but he just wouldn't. Is his appetite larger at certain hours?
  • Heads up for anyone using Baby Brezza, when you turn it on, it takes forever to get to right temperature.  For night feedings I just leave it on, so it stays at right temp.
  • @disneybaby84
    I haven't had issues with that personally, but the pediatrician at the hospital told me that it could happen and is completely normal so long as your baby doesn't lose weight because of it.

As for the Philips bottles, I haven't had a tremendous amount of trouble with spit up. What goes down mostly tends to stay down. Although there was a pretty impressive projectile vomiting incident last night. 
  • Heads up for anyone using Baby Brezza, when you turn it on, it takes forever to get to right temperature.  For night feedings I just leave it on, so it stays at right temp.
    We actually just leave ours on all the time. I take the lid off the water container once a day or so for awhile when I'm not cooking so mold won't build up. I think once little's tummy is settled with the right formula, we'll try the formula part of the Brezza again. Even having it as a hot water holder is nice though.
    Alex
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • peony2418 said:
    How long should it be taking to finish a couple ounces of formula? I'm using Dr Brown's and I'm considering switching to the preemie nipple, just to slow down the consumption rate.  I swear she can finish 2 oz in 5-7 minutes and that's feeding every 3 hours (doctor's orders, since she lost too much weight at her first appointment and we are trying to bulk her up)
    DS is particularly sleepy, but it takes him 15-20 minutes to drink 2.5 oz every 3 hours. I'd say as long as she's not spitting up a lot or acting like she's struggling, you're probably good.
    Alex
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • I'm trying to find a good way to slow the flow in my boobs.  And today been having serious headache, is that associated with the breastfeeding halt or is it something else?
    I was experiencing headaches as well and my OB said it could be caused by my hormones. They subsided already. Headaches can also be associated with lack of sleep. 
  • Thanks @datalover13!  Hard to know what's "normal" when it's all new!  LOL!
    Me: 36  DH: 35.
    Married: 8/2005.
    BFP: 6/22/2016 EDD: 3/4/2017.
  • I suppose this could go in the deals thread, but target has a promo going on baby stuff. Spend $75 and get a $20 gift card. Eligible items are formula, diapers, wipes. 

If if you have coupons and rebate checks you can use them to bring your total down. The rebate checks say you can only use 1 per transaction, but they don't check. They let me use 3 on one transaction.

I'm cloth diapering, but seems like an awesome deal, and there are a bunch of cartwheel diaper coupons, too!
  • my baby seems to have some feedings that go on forever and then others that are not as lengthy.  Anyone else? Is this normal?
  • My one guy is all business and eats, burps, and falls asleep.

The little one is a wild man. He is ravenous at first, then mellows out, and sometimes the feedings go on Forrrrrr evvvvv errrrr. Sometimes 15-20 min... other times it's almost an hour! Other times he starts eating and is not interested at all and then gets interested after I burp him a couple times. Not sure if this is normal or not.
  • @direwolfmini yuuuppp that's gods way of showing you gave birth to opposites
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• Ahhh it erased most of my answer!!! I think your boys are just showing off their different personalities - it starts so early. 
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• @disneybaby84 I am not sure about formula eaters, but that is normal for kiddos who nurse. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Just had a good timely feeding, he's turning a month tomorrow so I'm thinking now he's getting older he might be improving. Also I think on the long ones maybe he didn't like the formula.
  • *Lurking from November 2016*

For those of you supplementing while waiting for your "milk to come in" days later, or can only get a little bit out after a lot of work, check out noteveryonecanbreastfeed.com

I tried to breastfeed for the first week, LO was constantly at my boob, I was pumping basically nothing, and she wasn't producing that many wet diapers. Turns out I am part of the 5% who have IGT, I saw a lactation consultant, she asked if my boobs changes in pregnancy (they did not) and she did a weighted feed and observed me to tell me that I needed to feed my baby formula.

I'm not saying this is everyone, but after reading what a few of you said it wouldn't hurt to look into it.

On another note I am a Dr. Browns user too. We have the options version. With the 4 oz size we had a lot of issues with leaking and still do a little with the 8 oz size. But not bad enough to switch to a different bottle. Also I recommend the Dr. Browns formula mixer (32oz) if you aren't doing the Baby Breeza. I mix up a bunch of bottles and keep them in the fridge. From day one I just gave LO the cold bottle to see if she would take it and she does. That means no warming bottles!
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• @m6agua Thanks for dropping in. It is a good reminder that not everyone can breastfeed, and that's ok. Sometimes that message gets lost with the "breast is best" agenda. Some lactivists will go as far as to argue that fed is not best... seriously...

I (most likely) have IGT. Per the last LC I saw it is pretty much guaranteed. I have all of the physical markers and can only get about 12 oz a day (on the high end for IGT) I've decided to hybrid feed my twins. It works out to about 75% formula 20% or so pumped breast milk, and 5% nursing. I was heartbroken at first, but now I've come to terms with it, and you know what? When I accepted that they would never be exclusively breastfed my production actually increased by a couple of ounces! Stress really can affect supply!

I like the dr browns formula pitcher, too! It is really easy to whip up a batch of formula and leave in the fridge. The only thing I didn't like was having to warm the formula up.
  • @direwolfmini 12 oz, thats awesome! I am on the low side of IGT. The pump didn't do much and I could only ever hand express about 10 mL at the most. I decided on 100% formula because trying so hard for that little was not worth the stress! She was 1 week and 1 day when I made the decision. Occasionally I will "leak" and I can hand express and get just the same small amount if I want. I did it the other day only so I could have some to put on her cradle cap. I'm glad I have the knowledge for my next pregnancy but still am still sad once in a while that its not in the cards for me.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• So we're only 2 days PP and baby is drinking 2+ oz every 2 hours for 3 feedings then drinking less than 10ml or skipping eating all together. I know they say baby will loose some weight the first few days while he figures out life on the outside and the nurses at the hospital didn't seem overly concerned but now that we're home and there's no nurse I'm freaking myself out. Anyone else have anything like this happen the first few days?
  • @jrde50eb12 my doctor had us wake my guys every 3 hrs if they didn't wake on their own, but my guys were 4 1/2 and 5 1/2 lb preemies. At first I wasn't doing that and they continued to lose weight dispite being formula fed. They were too little to know they needed to wake to eat. Your guy was in the 8 -9 lb range, right? He's probably big enough that it wouldn't be an issue. When in doubt give your pedi a call!

One of my guys will eat a different amount at each feeding, and it hasn't been an issue. He has been gaining appropriately. Generally after a small feed he'll wake sooner and eat more at the next feeding. 
  • So we're only 2 days PP and baby is drinking 2+ oz every 2 hours for 3 feedings then drinking less than 10ml or skipping eating all together. I know they say baby will loose some weight the first few days while he figures out life on the outside and the nurses at the hospital didn't seem overly concerned but now that we're home and there's no nurse I'm freaking myself out. Anyone else have anything like this happen the first few days?
    Make sure you wake baby to eat every 2-3 hours. He may be super sleepy so you might have to work to keep him awake.  <3 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @direwolfmini @longliveregina we wake him up every 2-3 hours and pretty much have to cram the bottle in his mouth but he doesn't actually eat. Even after a good 30 minute fight of wills between us. He'll refuse to suck or drink <5 ml then push the bottle out and refuse to let us feed him. Screaming and yelling the whole nine yards. Like today he ate 40 ml at 5:30am, 20ml at 9, 5ml at 12, then at 3, 4, and 5:30 flat out refused. We did unnecessary diaper changes and swaddled and unswaddled-- anything to make him really wake up and then tried feeding each time and got nothing but frustration. Then at 7:45 he ate 65ml and at 10 he ate another 35. He eventually eats, but when the hours tick by and we get nowhere I start to panic. He wound up being 8lbs 9oz at birth so he's a good sized little man but I can't help feeling like 1-2 skipped feedings is the end of the world. 
  • @jrde50eb12 That is so frustrating; I feel ya, mama. As long as baby is gaining weight appropriately and getting enough wet diapers I think you can relax. Pediatricians will let you schedule weight checks between appts if you need to set your mind at ease.  <3
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jrde50eb12 Maybe try a different formula?
  • @jrde50eb12 I had a similar experience last night with my smaller twin! He's only about 7 lbs and gaining appropriately, but he'll skip feedings or barely eat. Last night he woke up after 3 hrs to eat, but after I changed him
    he only took about 15 ml! (He will eat up to 120ml these days). The next time he woke up he ate all 120 with no fuss. 

i agree with @longliveregina and @disneybaby84 everything sounds ok, but talk to the pedi if you're concerned and maybe ask her if s/he thinks that a new formula might work better for him.
  • Baby did soooooo much better today. He at at least 40-50 ml every 3 hours all night and day today. I also have been trying to bf before giving pumped breast milk (just started coming in today and not too much is in yet) and then following with the formula. I'm definitely going to bring this all up at the Drs appointment we have tomorrow morning, but I feel better seeing all your comments. Thanks ladies!
  • If I go to bed early and leave DH to give baby a bottle,baby will become the fussiest baby, won't sleep and take well over an hour to eat bottle. Two nights ago he wouldn't sleep, DH brings baby in bedroom, I had baby fast asleep in five minutes. Last night, he brings him in, wouldn't eat, I had baby happily sucking down the bottle in no time. What can we do for daddy and baby?
  • Yes @disneybaby84 this is my life too!!! She'll be fussy and refuse to eat/sleep in the middle of the night when dad tries to do things but as soon as he hands her over to me she's just fine. DH is super frustrated and honestly so am I since it means I can't miss a single nighttime feeding :(
  • @JustAnotherUsername16 you and I should keep track of if anything works! Extra sleep would be nice!