June 2017 Moms

Weekly Randoms 3/13

Re: Weekly Randoms 3/13

• We will be heading to the beach when DD is about 6 weeks old. My DS will be 2 at that time. I'm looking to start shopping for gear that we might need to make the trip nice for everyone involved. Experienced mommas,  what do you suggest?
  • For anyone wondering... no, working from home in a demanding 9-5 with little children is not easy (dare I say impossible).  This is me on every conference call right now - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxg4lGiG8lI

Damn you mother nature and your cruel joke with this blizzard.  Right during budgeting week!
  • Loading the player...
  • @MKRLTX we've always used the iswim reusable swim diapers for swimming lessons and pools. They're the ones that are sold at Target.
  • My son is very very fair so the doctor told us to use sunblock before 6 months (in combination with SPF clothing and shades). Her requirements were that it was baby version, broad spectrum, non-spray and to bathe the baby after use. We used Babyganics and he never got burnt. I rubbed it into his hair too since its so fine when they are tiny. He was born in April.
  • On the topic of sunblock, DD is a very fair redhead so she would burn very, very easily. I used Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby 60+ and she has never had even a light sunburn. I didn't apply any to her hair. I just put a sunhat on her head and it protected her eyes for the most part as well. She has sunglasses but has never kept them on for more than a few minutes. 
  • @delujm0- last summer if DD was just using her water table, I left her in a regular diaper, for that exact reason. 

I also always left her in a regular diaper for the car ride to and from the pool and switched to the swim diaper only for the actual swimming. She was 10-12 months and we never had any issues.

For people asking about swimming earlier, I would think this summer our babies' skin will be too sensitive for chlorine pools and I'd worry about what's in a lake. Also, they'll be super tiny and I'd just be nervous about keeping a good grip on them in water. Plus, I don't think sunscreen is recommended that little, which means you have to keep them fully shaded and also worry about the heat. If I were going on vacation somewhere, I'd be sure to have lots of shade and easy ability to go back inside. 
  • MKRLTX said:
    On the topic of swimming with a LO, does anyone have any favorite swim diapers? I noticed most of the disposable come in bigger sizes and I am not sure how the reusable ones work because they all talk about holding in solids only. If they are in the diaper and pee, it would go everywhere.... Clearly a FTM question so I don't know if I'm missing something. 
    I don't think any of them hold pee. We really liked the Charlie banana ones and we really got our money's worth later because they double as training underwear. 
  • @neludelu- I'd suggest one of those little baby beach tents to put the baby in, a rolling beach cart if you're going to be doing a lot of walking and lugging stuff, a fold up sheet or two, plus an umbrella. We used Babyganics sunscreen for our one year old and it seemed to work great. I bought a ton of really cute bathing suits for her (mostly spaghetti strap) and she barely ever wore them, she wore the rash guard type much more because they provide so much more sun protection. I saw a bunch of cute ones on Old Navy's website this weekend. Mostly I'd suggest bringing Grandma or someone so you can meet the baby's needs and the toddler's needs at the same time.
  • EmeraldNC said:
    @alm52386 When DD3 was little, her doctor said the ocean and pools were okay, but NOT to take her to our local lake because of bacteria.  Just my 2 cents.

Interesting. I will ask her Dr once she is here. I'm surprised a pool is okay with chlorine! Obviously it's not a big deal if we take her in this summer or not. I'm glad I asked though because I didn't even think of bacteria! I was only worried about her freezing.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I second the reusable iswim diapers and Nutrogena pure and free. Honest Co. can suck it.

@Elyse1384, that video is hilarious! 

• @merrylea that's next on the list. He had deviated septum surgery last year and that appeared to make things worse. I was kind of dreading going on vacation because of this but I was being hopefully optimistic. This is so not romantic and so not restful.
  • FSUNole31FSUNole31 member
    edited March 2017
    On the topic of swim diapers, when my son was younger I had no idea they didn't hold pee and put him in one in the car.  We arrived at the splash park and he and his car seat were completely soaked.  I learned pretty quickly that day to always change him once we arrived at the destination!
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14
                                                                  BFP #3 Nov 2014: D&C January 2015
                                                                  BFP #4 Sept 2016: Due May 31 2017

• We've always used Babyganics sunblock and have had good luck with it. I've heard horror stories about Honest Co. I don't even use their diapers anymore because of the sunblock stories.
  • MKRLTX said:
    On the topic of swimming with a LO, does anyone have any favorite swim diapers? I noticed most of the disposable come in bigger sizes and I am not sure how the reusable ones work because they all talk about holding in solids only. If they are in the diaper and pee, it would go everywhere.... Clearly a FTM question so I don't know if I'm missing something. 
    I have used applecheeks swim diapers with DS (it's reusable).  I have 2, and I would just rotate through them.  IF we were going in the water, I would swap out his regular diaper for that one, and then switch again when we got out of the water, and lay the swim one out to dry.  They come sized, so I think the size 1 will work for our LOs this summer, but most likely a size 2 would be needed after that.  I had a size 2 for DS from 6 months on and it lasted until he potty trained.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Reusable swim diapers are pretty similar to cloth pocket diapers (unstuffed) so for swim we just use one that I didn't ready like as an actual diaper. If anyone is doing cloth diapers anyway, you can always go that route if you end up with one you don't care about killing the elastic in with chlorine.
  • The winds in this storm are no joke!  I'm half expecting to find a tree on top of my car when I go out there tomorrow.

I'm giving myself a headache today trying to figure out the court forms we need to fill out/submit to start the process of DH adopting DS.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mkrelmkrel member
    @Elyse1384 I always think the same thing when they are standing out there in hurricaines. 

For those of you STMs, how long were you told to wait by your pediatrician before taking LO out in public? 
  • I also like Babyganics brand sunscreen! Aveeno baby broke my daughter out in a rash.  Both of my kids are pretty tan with dark hair so neither burn very easily.  I also like the rash guard swim suits! Old navy and target have cute ones.  

Ive always used huggies or pampers swim diapers.  I've seen cute reusable ones at target though! 
  • HgPaHgPa member
    edited March 2017
    @Elyse1384 I totally need reporters to be out in the storm. Not for information purposes, for entertainment. Dan Rather clinging to street lamps to report on tropical storms was a highlight of my childhood.

Edit: Couldn't find a gif, but here's a photo of a prime Eye of Storm segment.

• MKRLTX said:
    @Elyse1384 I always think the same thing when they are standing out there in hurricaines. 

For those of you STMs, how long were you told to wait by your pediatrician before taking LO out in public? 
    Ours didn't say anything about it at first, and we had DS out shopping by the time he was three days old. It didn't even occur to me to wait.
    Then at his 2-week check, the doctor was like "feel free to take him out and go places now!" Oops. Though I really can't imagine waiting 2 whole weeks, especially this time with DS who won't want to be cooped up that long! 
  • MKRLTX said:

I don't know that my pedi told us to wait before going out at all. He was a July baby so I wasn't as worried about germs and illness as I would've been if he was a winter babe. We went to church when he was 4 days old and he stayed in his car seat the whole time. We took him to a Royals game when he was 10 days old and I just wore him the whole time. 
  • @MKRLTX pediatrician said roughly a month but if I needed to to wear him. People are less likely to touch or approach too closely if you are wearing them vs in the stroller.
  • I took dd out on walks (wearing her in a wrap) as soon as we were home from the hospital. I took her to the grocery store for the first time at 10 days and got lots of open judgement from other moms there. So I guess lots of people think that is too soon. But... we needed food. 

I agree with pp though that wearing them is a great way to minimize contact with people vs using a carseat carrier/stroller. I honestly was more cautious about taking her places with people I knew who would want to hold her and breathe on her than I was about taking her to a store or outside.
  • @Stankonia2014, Good point about the doctor's office germs. I personally don't feel up to going out much the first two weeks aside from the doctor's visits anyway, so you are all braver than I am. I'll second pp's comments about wearing baby at first. People don't touch them as much that way! I had some very unwanted people reach right into that car seat and touch ds's face and hands when he was tiny. Eeek! 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • @mkrltx our Ped never really said anything about it.  Both of my kids were out at target or the grocery store at less than a week old.  My second was born around Thanksgiving and I did all my Christmas shopping with him.  I either wear them or keep them lightly covered in the car seat/stroller.  They are probably more likely to get sick from someone coming to visit and holding them then taking them out covered somewhere in my mind.  
  • My pedi also didn't make any suggestions. But I took her to her first newborn exam at 4 days old and sometime that first week to target for nursing bras. I kept her in her car seat with a cover the whole time. We were doing our normal errands and outings from a few weeks on. 3 maybe?? 
    Honestly we will be doing things differently this time, not for him but for me. Last time I bled for 3 months. At home it would stop and then as soon as I went out it started again. This time dh knows I will not be leaving the house except for pedi visits until August 1st. (I'm due late June) Dd is pretty good at staying at home and I'm hoping dh will take her to the park down the road everyday after work. I'm also limiting visitors and taking the first week for just us (and probably mil, because she's helpful). Trying real hard to keep all stress away this time and just heal! 
  • Welp we didn't get the house we put an offer on.  So frustrating.  We offered 20K over asking and were paying closing costs and still got out bid.  So now we're looking at new construction to just build a house. 

• mkrelmkrel member
    edited March 2017
    Sorry @Wearmi1. That is really frustrating. We built a new construction house and moved in this past July. The process was so much fun. I would love to do it over and over again. So if you do end up going that route, hopefully you'll enjoy the experience!
  • My last baby was a preemie and it was November so I definitely wanted to be cautious but I also get bad cabin fever so I took him out pretty early. I have resting bitch face though so strangers really don't try to touch my baby lol. Also our doctors office has separate sick and well child waiting rooms thankfully. I'm much less concerned with this summer baby though. 
  • @Wearmi1 - So sorry, that's so frustrating. The housing market is so crazy right now, it's a little insane. It puts so much pressure on you make immediate decisions that have long impacts!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are planning on taking 7-10 days at home just the 3 of us with no or little visitors. Obviously this could change based on how I/we are feeling. After that I have lots of people that want to come see her! We also want to take her up north 4th of July weekend but that will only be if she comes a little early I think. I haven't really been thinking about germs since it will be in the summer! 

I've also heard of people who won't let anyone come see their baby when they are very young unless they have the tdap vaccine. DH is going to get it and I'll probably ask the grandparents if they have a current one since they will be around a lot. Other than that I wasn't going to worry about it. Like pp have said, she is going to get exposed to plenty of germs just at her dr visits.

On that note, I was talking to someone whose neice wouldn't let ANYONE come see her new baby for 3 MONTHS. Then when the 3 months was over you had to sign up for an hour time slot to come visit. I think that's a bit much. I guess she also has a toddler who also didn't get to see anyone or do anything for 3 months. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DD was an early November baby so it was BONUS POINTS for wearing her to Thanksgiving at the ILs and frustrating them because I wouldn't let anyone hold her
     :D 

• @Elyse1384 I just went outside to shovel the walkway that DH didn't think was important to shovel (he did the driveway, which, BTW, is exactly the length of his truck.  So basically he shoveled around his truck).  He's going to have to do the decks tomorrow because that snow is HEAVY and I'm hurting after doing the little bit I did. 

I think we ended up with less than predicted, thank goodness.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I took DS to a Christmas party at a friends house the day after we got home from the hospital (so 3 days old).  We were at the mall finishing Christmas shopping at 8 days old - and he got a picture with Santa.  We had to go to the dr every other day anyway, and in December he was exposed to far more germs there than he would have been anywhere else.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sorry you didn't get the house @Wearmi1 :( Its such a frustrating process sometimes. If you do decide on new build and have questions, I'd be more than happy to run them by DH (GC who loves building new construction homes)
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • erinh84erinh84 member
    edited March 2017
    Ok guys, I'm really starting to think I have a UTI. The last few days I've had this really uncomfortable bladder pressure, but I kind of just assumed it was the baby putting pressure on my bladder. Anyway, today the pressure has gotten a lot more intense. I know a UTI can sometimes go undetected without the usual symptoms, so I made a dr. appointment for tomorrow to be safe.

Anyway, I know only my dr. can diagnose me, but I am wondering if anyone has ever experienced this kind of bladder pressure before during pregnancy? I don't remember feeling anything like this at all during my first pregnancy. Also, if anyone has any tips to deal with the pain and pressure until my appointment tomorrow, I would appreciate any help. 

Edit: spelling
  • @Wearmi1, I'm so sorry about your house. I know how disappointing it can be to lose a house you want. I do have to say when it happened to us (more than once) we ended up finding a better place after all. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~