March 2017 Moms
Options

Bottle feeding

Ok so I never had this problem with my first. Took all formula like a champ from any bottle. My 2nd was harder but he had a milk protein intolerance and we eventually found a bottle he liked... 

now my 3rd son is only 2 days old and we've been using the ready made in those little bottles but since we just got home, we have tried switching to powder and our own bottles. We've tried NUK and Avent. He takes one sip and then acts like he's choking and won't eat anymore. Has anyone had this problem and what you've done or what I could try doing? I'm having some serious anxiety right now that my baby won't eat....

Re: Bottle feeding

• Options
    BurrberrymumBurrberrymum member
    edited March 2017
    My daughter from birth would not use any bottle nipple other than the ready made ones designed for cleft palate babies. She didn't didn't have a cleft palate, and our hospital was very limited with those ones so the nurses had to search all over to get them for us. From there we nursed and she would never take any other bottle of pumped milk at all, we tried several different brands. Have you tried pouring the ready made into the different bottles to see if he will take the taste with the new bottle? Then gradually switch to the powder? 
  • Options
    I don't know much about those bottles, are the nipples much different than those nursettes? We jumped to our Dr. Browns and haven't had much issue, but those look pretty similar. If nothing else could you run out and get some more nursettes from the store until you figure out which bottles he'll take?
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    direwolfminidirewolfmini member
    edited March 2017
    Aren't Nuk and Avent both wide neck bottles? You might consider trying a standard neck like dr brown 

eta that if you don't want to mess around with all of the pieces of dr browns, you can get their "options" bottles that can be used with or without the vents.
  • Options
    My fitst only used the Playtex bottles with the vent. It might be a matter of buying different types until you find what works.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My first thought was the nipple flow and maybe too much is coming out?  I know they make nipples wirlth different sized holes for different ages. With our twins we used the hospital ones for awhile (sterilized between uses and thrown out as soon as they showed any sign of wear).  Then moved to the smallest nipple hole/slowest flow nipples of the Doc Browns.
  • Options
    Used Dr Brown bottles today, no spit up and didn't have to burp like crazy. Baby happily fell asleep 
  • Options

My first thought was also the nipple flow.