Military Families
Options

Will TriCare Reserve backdate coverage?

Promise I haven't been lazy and just avoiding getting my card, etc. Hubby swore in w the Narional Guard on January 30th. He was told he would be in the system in two weeks. Four weeks later they told him he was, he drove 3 hrs. round trip to get his ID card, found out he wasn't in the system. It's been 2 more weeks and the exact same thing just happened. I am 12 weeks pregnant and haven't had an appointment yet except the basic confirmation with my PCP back in January when I still had my own insurance. 
I feel fine, but I am super anxious about seeing a doctor as soon as possible to make sure things are good. Without the ID card info I don't have a way to call TriCare and ask questions. So I was wondering if anyone had some insight on when our insurance will kick in and whether or not they will back date coverage to the day of eligibility (which I would assume is when he swore in)?
Thanks!

Re: Will TriCare Reserve backdate coverage?

• Options
    I don't know the answer, but I would think you wouldn't be covered until you have an id #. Try calling 1800TRICARE and ask.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    bacorreabacorrea member
    edited March 2017
    Agreed with @meggyme it's not about having an ID it's about being enrolled in DEERS. (Once you are then you will get your dependent ID). I would call and ask, but just FYI, once you're enrolled in DEERS you will get assigned a PCM and you will have to go see them and most likely pee in a cup to prove you're pregnant so it's in their files and then you will be assigned to an OB. It could be a month to get all that situated. I was 4 months pregnant and I moved and I still had to go to my new PCM prove my pregnancy (even though I had my records) and then was assigned an OB from there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks all. Husband finally got in touch w TriCare. It is still a massive pain but I guess we are making some progress. 
    @bacorrea is that how it works for reserves as well? We live in the middle of nowhere and our town only has 2 doctors, one is my PCP and the other I would not go to even if it was my very last choice on earth. I know way too much about him. I don't have an OB so I am not worried about one being assigned. There aren't a whole lot of options there either hahaha 
  • Options
    @MrsJessS I am not sure, sorry. I don't know much about reserves. My husband is active duty. You may have Tricare remote or something else. I've always lived near military facilities so I haven't had to figure out where to go. Hopefully you get some answers soon!! 
  • Options
     Thanks @bacorrea! We weren't married when he was active duty...I'm thinking it would have been much easier because then I had friends who knew where to go and who to talk to haha