Pre-School and Daycare
Options

4 year old still having accidents

I posted this somewhere but can't find it.....
I'm at a loss.  My 41/2 year old is still having small accidents. He wets his underwear daily and has been using the potty for over a year.  When we ask him if he needs to go, he always says no and doesn't usually tell us when he does have to go, but sometime during the day he will dampen his underwear and will go all day without telling anyone they are wet.  When we make him use the potty he will always pee.  He doesn't drink nearly enough during the day so I know that's not the problem.  We have had him tested for a UTI which was negative.  He probably needs some type of chart but not sure how that would work when he doesn't tell anyone he is wet, won't let anyone in the bathroom with him, won't tell us when he has to use the potty, etc  Any advice would be appreciated.  He is in preschool 3 days a week and they are pretty much hands off when it comes to helping kids in the bathroom.  

Re: 4 year old still having accidents

• Options
    When he goes pee successfully on the potty, are you (and any other caregivers) affirming him and talking about how you're so proud of him and so excited that he's getting to be a big kid?

If it were me, I'd just ignore the fact that he's currently denying the need to go, not telling anyone, etc, and just say, "DS, it's time to go use the potty!" when you see him doing the potty dance, acting uncomfortable, etc.  Bring him in there, stay with him (but maybe look busy doing your hair or something so he doesn't feel like you're pressuring him) make sure you are really positive when he triumphs, and downplay any setbacks.

He'll eventually get through this.

Our three-year-old loves to call Daddy on the phone (at work) to tell him he pooped on the potty.  And we're still working on bribing him to go potty at school.  He says he's scared, even though they have these little mini-toilets there.  I think he'll eventually do it, and he knows that when he does, we are going to buy him a wiffle ball and bat from the supermarket (very exciting--lol).
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • Options
    Also, it's normal for 4-year-olds to have accidents still.  
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]