C-sections

Infection Post C-section

Hey everyone,

I was wanting to see if anyone had an experience with a wound vac secondary to an extensive infection after a c-section. To make a long story short, I had a very complicated labor that led to an emergency c section. My husband and I noticed signs of infection approximately 10 days post op which required me to be hospitalized again for approximately 6 days which included being taken back to the OR for wound debridement and placement of a wound vac. I am approximately 3 weeks post op for my second surgery and the lady who changes my dressing says she anticipates I will have the vac on for 12 weeks total. It's so frustrating because I absolutely have to work so that means all of my maternity leave will be spent hooked up to this machine. Not to mention, I will probably have to take longer than my anticipated 12 weeks of maternity leave for this wound to close completely. I just want to spend time bonding with my husband and our new baby. It's also frustrating because I feel like my husband has had to take over a lot of our son's care due to me feeling so ill since all of this has gone on. If anyone has had any similar experiences, I'd really appreciate if you wouldn't mind sharing your stories. Been feeling very down about this whole situation

Thank you!

Re: Infection Post C-section

• I have no experience but I'm sorry it happened :( I know when things don't go according to plan it frustrates me, and that is a huge deviation from the cozy plan you had! Lots of T&P mama 
  • I had a similar problem. I developed an infection about 5 days after my emergency CSection, then on day 8 my wound opened unexpectedly... a few hours in the ER led me to having them open it up and then needing to go through wound packing. I'm not quite sure why I had to do daily wound packing vs a wound vac.... but it continued for 16 weeks (that long because I kept having random hurdles)

not going to lie.... it sucked. But I was way more mobile 5/6 weeks in so that helped. As your wound heals you'll feel better. 

If it takes longer than 12 weeks to heal will you be able to get a doctor's note to stay out of work longer? I wasn't able to go back to work until I was 100% healed.