November 2017 Moms
Options

Meal Plan Monday

What's cooking this week?

GTKY: Do you do most of the cooking or does somebody else in your household?  Do you like to plan things out in advance or see how the day takes you?

Pregnancy Ticker
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Meal Plan Monday

• Options
    So far all I have planned is tonight, mashed potatoes, ground turkey, brown gravy, and corn! 

I am a SAHM so I do basically all of the cooking in my house. My husband occasionally cooks on the weekends and of course grills during the summer!
  • Options
    kschrefkschref member
    edited March 2017
    So, I've been trying very hard to plan a few meals in advance and have some sort of plan on when to have them.  I was vegan for a long time, my husband eats ALL THE MEAT and we agreed to raise our children vegetarian until they are older and can make a decision for themselves.  Mostly because I do most of the cooking and will not cook meat.  Period.  However, we recently found out that my son is allergic to a whole plethora of things including eggs, milk, soy, peanuts, etc. so I am getting back to my vegan cookbooks and my husband adds meat to his plate when he feels so inclined.  So, my meal plans may look drastically different from others.  Any other vegans or vegetarians out there?  Anyone else in a "house divided"?  ;)

This week we are having for dinner(in no particular order):

• Barley carrot risotto with Quorn Chik'n nuggets (I'm not a fan of fake meats, but my kids love them)
    • Samosa pie - again.  We had it last week but I have another pie crust and am too lazy to come up with something else to do with it.
    • Tonight is a leek cassoulet - Fancy name for a leek/potato casserole stew concoction topped with biscuits.  It is one of my favorite meals ever.
    • Homemade pizza.  My son loves it and generally eats things he helps to make.  He's picky.
    • Mac&Cheese with some sort of sides TBD because that's always a winner in our house.
    • Whatever is leftover at the end of the week.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @kschref me, me!! I'm mostly vegan! I'm also gluten free, so every now and then I have something like muffins or cookies with eggs or milk because the vegan option isn't gf. I also cannot pass up a Reese's peanut butter cup.

Tell me about this samosa pie... it's probably hard to make gf (pie crusts have been a challenge for me) but I'm still intrigued! 

• Options
    @ArtificalRed - I totally used a store-bought pie crust for mine, though it was not GF.  I wonder if there are premade ones that are - probably in specialty store or something.  Basically, it's potatoes, green beans, peas, onions, carrots, a little ginger, and chickpeas.  So you cook the potatoes first - I steam them.  And steam some green beans.  Then I put the pie crust in a pan and bake it at about 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  Then sauté onion and carrot until soft, add ginger, add some curry powder, coriander, salt, cumin, and cayenne(I omit the cayenne while cooking because my toddlers don't like it and then the adults add it in afterwards).  Remove from heat and add potatoes and chickpeas.  Then I use a potato masher to sort of mash it all up.  Then I add peas and green beans and stir it.  Dump everything into the pie crust and bake at 350 for 45 minutes.  

I used to roll out dough and make individual samosas but there is no time for that anymore, haha.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I made a big pot of split pea soup with carrots and potatoes that has been my lunch and our dinner for the past few nights. We'll probably finish that up tonight.

Then we got chicken and cous cous with some kind of veggie. Thankfully it's just the two of us so I only cook dinner every other day or so and eat the left overs the next day, especially since meat comes in 1lb packages here. 
    Me: 25 DH: 29, Married 1/1/2015
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• Options
    I feel so inadequate compared to you ladies! My DH gets stuck with the dinner prep for all of us including the girls.  I usually get home just in time for bath and bed-that's it.  Unfortunately he doesn't have the patience  (or the talent) to get a good dinner made while he has the girls.  So he normal makes DD#1 something easy (pasta, sandwich, cereal....yes, cereal, leftovers). And we eat who knows what for dinner. 

I would love to start meal prepping on the weekend, I just always run out of time! 

I'm totally up for freezeable crock pot dinner recipes if anyone wants to share! 

So far tonight is looking like can soup and maybe box Mac N cheese for dinner....so nutritious.  
  • Options
    ohoffmanohoffman member
    edited March 2017
    @WorkingMom562 I made a ton from pinterest. Also premade in a tin pan and you just chuck it in the oven. Really a life saver. Just gotta spend sometime in the kitchen 1 day and get it over with. For example I premake like 6 meatloafs at a time! 
  • Options
    I do the cooking in our house.  I am a meal planner.  We are paid bi-weekly so I will plan out a 14 day menu every 2 weeks.  I do a lot of cooking off the skinnytaste.com website and I have a couple of my grandmother's church cookbooks that I use religiously.  I'm down to the last 3 meals on this plan and we have spagetti & garlic bread, swedish meatballs, and southwestern sloppy joes left on the menu.
  • Options
    Tonight I am doing a baked chicken and veggies. You basically throw it all in a pan, drizzle melted butter over it and then add Italian dressing mix then bake. It's delicious