November 2017 Moms

Mental Health Monday 3/6

This is a place where we can support each other through the week. This week we might want to take some time and work out an intro and guidelines for this thread. We have so many other kinds of support threads, so would we prefer to keep this thread focused more on those with a diagnosis? Please weigh in below!

Re: Mental Health Monday 3/6

• I have bipolar, mild OCD, and general anxiety disorder diagnoses. 

So far doing really well. I'm currently a bit manic but have that bit under control. Anxiety is usually the biggest struggle for me, especially during pregnancy. 

Right now I am coping with the anxiety part by taking one pg test every morning as I know in the past that has helped a little. Will feel much better around 9-10 weeks when I can find the little bean with my home Doppler.  My husband is being amazing as he knows well what my triggers during pregnancy are by now and he has done a great job this past week of recognizing when I need a little space or help even before I start to ask.  I feel blessed to be with a man who truly loves and embraces all that I am because I know not always easy.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @kschref It is so important that you feel you get great support from YH, I am so glad to hear that. And right now I say pee on all the sticks if it helps! I have GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and am also peeing on all the sticks because it seems to help right now. May I ask, do you take any meds? I am currently taking something and really want to talk to doctor about tapering off. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @kschref I'm glad you're getting the support you need. I've been using a lot of tests too. I had to use one this morning because I needed to see it was positive before I went in for my blood work. But I have to use a lot of will power to not overanalyze the lines, and I think now that I'm getting mostly equal control and test lines that I need to force myself to stop before I create more anxiety by wondering what's going on when one test is inevitably not as dark because of dye issues or who knows what. 

I have generalized anxiety and seasonal affective disorder. I was severely depressed when I was pregnant with DS, and I have some concerns about that repeating itself. In retrospect, the timing overlapped with when I now deal with SAD, so that probably was my first year to be affected by SAD. I'm currently in counseling. We decided to wait on medication because we would be ttc, but I anticipate starting something for next year.  

• @jess0211 - Currently, I am not.  I also have a heart issue which sometimes complicates other meds.  I received my diagnoses for the mental health issues about 16 years ago and was in 10 years of straight therapy.  Also saw a a psychiatrist and we tried quite the range of meds.  What I ended up being on that worked was something that I cannot be on while TTC, breastfeeding, or pregnant.  I also semi-recently went in for more heart tests and my heart condition is at the point now where they have stopped meds for that(yay!), which opens up more possibilities for other things.  We didn't want to try anything new at this point though, but if I start to swing into a bad depression during this pregnancy I will definitely go back on something.

I have a lot of friends who taper off their meds while pregnant and I think it's definitely something worth discussing if it's what you want.  Other friends of mine stay on everything no matter what.  It's definitely a path everyone has to navigate in their own way.  :)

@ArtificialRed - I so had a mini panic attack yesterday when one of my lines on a super cheap test was not as dark as the day before.  Then today it was the darkest yet.  It's so hard to wrestle with the desire to see another positive test and the anxiety over whether it will be "as positive" as especially with the little wondfo-type tests - they can be all over the place.  I hope the counseling and the knowledge about SAD will help with possible depression during this pregnancy.   <3
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kschref are we twins?! I have a heart condition as well that I take a med for. I wanted to come off that but the cardiologist wasn't agreeable. He felt the risk was too great. I think it's something to discuss with my ob though. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have horrible sensory perception disorder. I don't remember it being a problem with my last pregnancy but every single nerve is being hit this time around. I can't even handle my husband clapping or my son banging on a pot with out cringing and having to stop the situation. I'm at a loss of how to even handle it!
  • I've struggled with depression and an eating disorder for a long time. I just stopped my SSRI's cold turkey when I got my BFP. I'd already weaned down to low dose, so it's not a huge deal. Though I suspect first tri hormones and the emotionals associated with the SSRI withdrawal/discontinuation syndrome from straight up quitting them will be a super fun few weeks for me, and especially for H, lol. 
  • @jess0211 - Sounds like we have a lot in common!  One of the things with my heart condition too is it can result in things that are also common in pregnancy, like syncope.  So we never know if it is my heart or the pregnancy when something like that happens.  Things got really bad about 5 or 6 years ago and I wasn't allowed to drive for a while, which made it really hard to get to work especially since I was teaching at 3 different schools during the day.  The only real downside now, I suppose, is that I'd love to give birth in a birthing center or something similar but we still feel like the hospital is the best place so they can keep an eye on everything heart-wise during labor.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @SarahEmmons330 - Oh no!  That sounds so hard.  I'm not super familiar with SPD.  Do you have a therapist or anyone you can talk to about it?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @cnf2013 - When I was in my early 20s, I got so mad at my SSRIs that I flushed them all down the toilet - and I was on a high dose at the time.  It was so, so bad for me.   :s  I hope even on a lower dose that your withdrawal isn't too bad and doesn't last very long!  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kschref I don't, basically because I wasn't treated for it as a kid nothing can be done. I just have to find coping techiniques, which sometimes just means taking random noise makers away from the kid or telling my husband to stop effing clapping 
  • @kschref after I posted this I followed up with my cardiologist to him know about pregnancy etc. and he has changed his mind from what he said when we were ttc and is taking me off meds to see how I do. It makes me nervous but...I really trust him.

@cf2013 good luck, I can appreciate the struggle of going off meds.  I am weaning off my meds over the two weeks. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just had a panic attack while working my volunteer shift at DS's preschool. I had to leave early. 

• @ArtificialRed hugs! I am sorry to hear that. How are you feeling now?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm embarrassed but not at the same time. I refuse to be embarrassed about the fact that I have anxiety. It's not my fault. But it is kind of embarrassing to have been dealing with so much I couldn't handle everything the other adults were handling just fine. I keep bursting into tears any time I manage to stop crying for a few minutes. The crying seems to be lasting longer than it normally would. Can I blame pregnancy hormones for that?

• @ArtificialRed - I'm sorry you had a panic attack - and I agree, no reason to be embarrassed.  They are just no fun, period.  I am way more emotional when I am pregnant so I think that may absolutely be part of it.  How are you feeling now?  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm so worn out. I just want to turn my brain off. I haven't heard back about my bloodwork yet either. But I can't convince myself to call them because phone calls suck to begin with, and if they give any indication that I'm being a nuisance for not waiting on them to call, I will absolutely lose it again. I just can't adult anymore. 

• @ArtificalRed - Big creepy internet calls.  I have a really difficult time making phone calls too.  Like I really won't unless I can't schedule an appt. online or it's an emergency.  I am crossing everything that they call you back soon with good news!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Today, I had an experience at the ENT that stressed me the hell out.  I mentioned somewhere else that I had trouble sleeping last night.  I get horribly congested while pregnant and I had to sleep sitting up.  I normally take Benadryl and it helps but this time I realized it too late and knew it would cause me trouble in the morning.  So, I look and feel like total crap but had received a call to go pick up my son's allergy drops today.  We just found out last week he is allergic to beef, chicken, and fish(not a big deal as we don't eat meat), and also eggs, peanuts, almonds, soy, milk, and a whole host of outside things like grass.  I can't even right now. I'm doing pretty good with meal planning as I was vegan before I got married but I just feel bad for him. 

The voicemail said to just swing by and pick them up.  The place is 10 minutes from my house.  I get the kids changed and in the car and don't take the diaper bag 'cause I figure it's a quick in and out.  I get to the place and my daughter is covered in snot from a runny nose and I can't find any tissues.  I sort of get her okay with a napkin and then get both kids inside.  The lady tells me I'm going to have to "wait quite a while" because they're going to have to find somebody to go over a "ton of paperwork" with me.  UGH.  So I have nothing to entertain the kids with and they both start whining that they need a snack - we had JUST finished breakfast.  We finally go back and the guy explains everything to me and how we need an EpiPen for my son now (I have to carry one, so not a huge deal) and how we really have to watch what he's eating, etc. etc.  By the time I get home both kids are stinky and cranky and hungry and I felt like a total a-hole for not being more prepared.  Going to just leave a permanent diaper bag in my car I guess, 'cause that sucked big time and stressed me the eff out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kschref I'm sorry your had such a rough morning. It sounds like you managed to handle it well though. Good luck with your DS and his allergies. I always have some hope that littles will outgrow many or at least some of their allergies. 

• Sorry about your ENT experience @kschref. I also get crazy awful rhinitis when pregnant. It really sucks not being able to breath for nine months. If mine gets too bad I will take a spritz of Afrin before bed. I did it while pregnant with DD and had no issues, so I'll probably go that route with this one too.