January 2016 Moms

Hitting himself

Recently DS has started crying and hitting himself in the head with both his hands when he gets frustrated or upset ( or when we tell him no).  Anyone else's doing something similar?  Is this normal or should we be worried?  I don't want him to hurt himself or think that's a good way of dealing with his frustration.  Usually I just try to redirect and not make a big deal of it.

Re: Hitting himself

• This is pretty normal with frustration. I worked at a daycare and we had quite a few kids who did this. It's a phase they eventually grow out of. I wouldn't worry too much about it and honestly it's best to ignore it as attention can make it worse. Be glad it's not head banging out of frustration. We also had a little boy who would give himself giant goose eggs from bashing his head on the floor  :#
  • My son did this a lot! He still does at 2.5, but he has no speech. It's all out of frustration and is normal. Brynlee look Kress to sit in the corner and just tap her head on the wall repeatedly, with no frustration or reaction. I've read that it can be from teething discomfort. That they're doing it to distract from other pain.
  • Loading the player...
  • The poor guy does seem to be teething non stop, but it's probably frustration.  He's still  not saying more than a couple of words.
  • nackie said:
    The poor guy does seem to be teething non stop, but it's probably frustration.  He's still  not saying more than a couple of words.
    Mine doesnt say much. Mom dad and banana. Thats all. She gets pretty frustrated when she wants something but cant tell us. She started signing "help" and I found it has helped a bit but she still gets Upset. 
  • Mine knows a couple of signs, but he doesn't use them correctly.  He'll sign all done and then immediately take another bite or sign more when he has a full bowl in front of him.  :(  He also uses milk and mama interchangeablely which is causing some frustration now that we're weaning.  We haven't tried teaching help yet.