June 2017 Moms
Options

Crafty Ladies!

I'll admit, I have old lady hobbies (quilting, crochet, etc.), and I love to make things for the nursery and other people.  Post some of the things you're in the process of making or have made!

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Re: Crafty Ladies!

• Options
    Following this thread because I love DIY projects!! I'm hoping to find some good furniture pieces to refurbish for the nursery. 

I used to crochet but I haven't in a few years. I want to make a blanket or something for baby boy, but I haven't gotten around to it. Does anyone have any easy patterns they like?

@krex that quilt is amazing!! I don't like red either but I really love the look of it! You did a good job, I'm sure she'll love it! And I love the pattern you chose for the back. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It is really sweet that you are making her a quilt. I love that you guys have such a good relationship. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Options
    LAMCH1980 said:
    It is really sweet that you are making her a quilt. I love that you guys have such a good relationship. 

Aww, thanks!  We're definitely working to grow the relationship, as I'd like for the adoption to be as open as possible.  I hope she likes it!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    HgPaHgPa member
    @mtvkv5 How do the vinyl iron ons hold up to wash and wear? Everything you've posted is
    so cute! I had to look up Cricut and now I really want one :)
  • Options
    I love all of this!
    I make hair clips and bows for DD.  I love to make special character ones that you can't buy.  I have made all kinds of animal and holiday clips too. 

MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • Options
    So funny story: I made a nice knitted blanket for my brothers' first child when they were expecting him. Then when I was pregnant with dd, my sil was also pregnant with their current youngest. I was knitting quilts for both the babies, but then I didn't get them done before the babies were born. I intended to finish them, but I literally haven't worked on them at all since dd was born, and now we are both pregnant again. I'm so lazy. I'm not even trying this time. So the only kid in the family with a homemade blanket is my brother and sil's oldest son. Oh well.
  • Options
    @krex I'll have to try that bobble blanket, I love how it looks!! Also your cat is adorable! 

@danijo your costumes look so good! It'll be fun to have a LO to add into the mix. 
  • Options
    Thanks @kat0607 and @danijo!  She's actually 1 of 3 cats we have.  Her and her sister, both grey tabbies.  Then we have the our older female orange tabby, she was our first cat!  I love my fur beasts!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    HgPa said:
    @mtvkv5 How do the vinyl iron ons hold up to wash and wear? Everything you've posted is
    so cute! I had to look up Cricut and now I really want one :)
    They hold up really well if you use good quality vinyl (I use Siser) and get a good heat application on them. I made shirts for DH's racing team and he has worn and washed them 20-25 times and they are still good. I just got a heat press, so its much easier, but I was exclusively using an iron before. You have to iron on a hard surface, like wood, and press down with all your weight for 10-15 seconds in each place. As long as you can see the pattern of the shirt through the vinyl, it will stay for a long time! 
  • Options
    XathXath member
    @mtvkv5  Do you sell vinyl cut-outs on the side at all?  I want to label our toy bins like this, but I don't have a cricut.

Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
  • Options
    @Xath the picture isn't loading for me on mobile, but if @mtvkv5 doesn't do vinyl cutouts, we can do them as well. We use our cutter for making stencils for the glass work and have done the occasional vinyl stickers as well (if you've seen any of my HDBD pictures, we made the vinyl stickers on the bathroom door behind me) 
  • Options
    @Xath I don't sell them, just do them for friends and family. I'm so busy with work and taking care of my dad that I don't have very much time to do crafty things these days, otherwise I would help you out! 
  • Options
    I feel significantly less crafty after seeing everyone else's work... haha. I've tried to crochet, but could never quite get the hang of it.  :/
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I've sewn some shirts for both H and I. Right now, I'm making fitted diapers for the baby. I was considering sewing a quilt, but I have at least two others from when I was a baby and I'll probably get one from my grandma as well. I'm thinking about sewing some baby clothes as well. I need to find some good patterns. The nice thing is they'd be quick projects compared to sewing things for H and I. 
  • Options
    @Xath I love those! Mom's labor of love was a counted cross stitch stocking for each of the grandkids. I get all sentimental when i see them.

• Options
    @Xath, those are beautiful. They're so detailed. They must have taken forever. It looks like the type of project I'd start and not finish because it's so time consuming.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • Options
    XathXath member
    LAMCH1980 said:
    @Xath, those are beautiful. They're so detailed. They must have taken forever. It looks like the type of project I'd start and not finish because it's so time consuming.
    Oh yeah, each one took over a year because I'd get tired of it for a few months and then go back to it.  I tend to rotate crafts fairly frequently; this has just been the one to stick for a while.

@CapricaAndrea Awesome!  I'll try to find some better pictures of what I'm trying to do and Pm you if that's ok?
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
  • Options
    @Xath, those are incredible!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @Xath Those are gorgeous!

@wifeinraleigh28 As a fellow knitter, super impressed by the socks - I find that tiny little needles just hurt my hands. I've never managed to finish a pair - more of a mitten/blanket/scarf knitter instead!
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
    BFP #2 9/2/16, CP confirmed 9/8/16
    BFP #3 10/10/16 EDD 6/22/17
  • Options
    I wish I was crafty.  I've tried to learn to knit several times before and it just looks like a big old mess.  I would really like to make something for this baby though.  Is crocheting easier? 
  • Options
    Wearmi1 said:
    I wish I was crafty.  I've tried to learn to knit several times before and it just looks like a big old mess.  I would really like to make something for this baby though.  Is crocheting easier? 
    It is to me. I could never quite get the hang of two needles, but I had a crazy teacher and had been crocheting from many years by then, so I'm sure that didn't help.
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Options
    I'm teaching myself to sew and quilt and so far have made a simple quilt for my nephew and some bandana bibs.  I really want to make a blanket or quilt with both side minky/cuddle fabric but it's so hard to work with I'm scared to start.  Any sewing experts have some tips?
  • Options
    Yes sewing ladies!  I took a couple years of fashion in high school.. what kind of sewing machine do you recommend?  Maybe knitting isn't for me but I can sew just haven't done it in a long time.  
  • Options
    XathXath member
    @shmarpler I've come to terms with the fact that knitting is just not something I'm capable of... Every time I try to pick it up, disaster.

For those looking into sewing, I'm a big fan of the older, mostly metal machines without computers.  You maintain them well and they'll last forever.  Get a computerized machine when you sew enough to have 2+ machines at home.  

@abmommy15 Try backing your minky with water-dissolvable interfacing before you sew it.  It will stiffen the fabric for even stitching; then once it's made you wash it and it softens up again.  
  • Options
    @Wearmi1 Crocheting is easier because there is only one active loop you are working with (versus, well, a LOT with knitting), which also makes it much easier to correct mistakes or go back. I personally find knitting to be a more comfortable motion with my hands though. It's all personal preference!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Options
    I currently have fabric sitting waiting to be made into blankets and burp cloths, but getting a moment to sew has been impossible. 
  • Options
    @Wearmi1, DH bought me the Project Runway Brother sewing machine a few years ago. I used to sew with my grandmother ages ago, but I hadn't sewn in years, it's been a good re-learning machine.
  • Options
    @Xath, yep. I started knitting a scarf in college, but never finished. I've sat down, I think twice now, to try and figure it out again. If I take out a row or two, I can get going again, but usually get interrupted. So my scarf has actually been shrinking. I'm starting to think I'll just let DD pull it all out so I can reuse the yarn.
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • Options
    @ashcicle those are so cute!
    @kmd0501. Love the clouds!!! Are they battery powered?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @ama7165 yes!  I ordered battery-powered, remote-operated fairy lights from Amazon and am using white paper lanterns and pillow batting. This is just the sample I found on Etsy but they wanted $65 each and it's costing me around $20 to make 2. I'll post a finished photo when I'm done.