September 2017 Moms
Options

Moles, freckles down below! Warning - a tad TMI

So I'm about 13 weeks along and something made me look at my lady parts yesterday evening while using the bathroom. And what do I see. A very small flat round black spot on the upper part of my vulva! What the F is this. I panicked of course and called the doctor today. They are seeing me soon. Of course google aka the devil makes me think it's melanoma. Fingers crossed it's just a randomly appearing mole thanks to wonderful pregnancy hormones. 
Can anyone relate to this? 

Re: Moles, freckles down below! Warning - a tad TMI

• Options
    lap018lap018 member
    edited March 2017
    Can't say I've spent much time looking at my own Vulva... no experience with this...... hope your appointment goes well

edited to add: I think it's odd that your doc hasn't brought it up before, since we basically saddle up for them surely your OB would've seen it at your first appt 

• Options
    Lol thank you for the laugh - and the well wishes! @lap018
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @DanaG I can most definitely relate to the skin changes. Shortly after I found out I was pregnant I had a few new moles pop up and some changes to the existing moles that I have. I called the dermatologist and got checked out and she told me that it was normal to have moles change throughout pregnancy because of the hormones. She did say that I did have an abnormal mole on my belly button, (it is very dark brown, almost black) but it was there long before I got pregnant and she wasn't worried about removing it at this time because it is small. 

I'd say if it recently popped up, it can likely be attributed to hormones but it's a good idea to get it checked out since you are worried. If you are able, its good to have yearly, full body lookovers by a dermatologist because sometimes women can get spots in areas they can't easily see like the back of legs/knees etc. 

The a,b,c,d's are good to keep in mind when it comes to concern over moles. 

A-asymmetry. (Not being even on both sides) 
    B-borders. (Jagged or uneven borders are more cause for concern.) 
    c-color. (Especially multicolored areas.) 
    d-diameter longer than that of a pencil eraser. 

There have been times where I have been so sure that I have skin cancer and that my spots had all of the qualifications listed above, only to have my dermatologist tell me that those spots were completely normal lol. 

Hope your appointment goes well!! 
  • Options
    Thank you @Msashley2010 for your response! I saw the Dr. and he said it looks benign. He said tha vulvar melanoma is common in pregnancy - which I was a little surprised by that. I guess hormones.
    I actually do get a yearly mole check - I slacked off last year - but I'm usually very vigilant about moles! I've had a few biopsies and removed and all have come back normal. 
    I'm glad I got this checked and can now relax until the next thing comes along to worry about lol. 
    Happy Friday!!! 
  • Options
    I also have a black flat mole "down there"  but I have had it for years.  I am a very mole/ freckle/ sun spot covered person so I get my yearly check done and if I see anything new that pops up I go to his office immediately to get it checked out.  Glad you got it checked out!
  • Options
    As PP stated, skin can change quickly in pregnancy. I highly suggest you go to a dermatologist for skin checks. If they need to biopsy it, don't worry, chances are significant that it is normal and/or you've caught it early. I had a skin check yesterday. 
  • Options
    I'm happy your appointment went well!!! I know how stressful it can be not knowing! 
  • Options
    @BostonBaby1 wasn't sure my Derm would handle this area - since it's on the inside. I suppose I could call and find out. My ob/gyn seemed confident is was benign. I was concerned bc I haven't seen it before but I'm not sure how long it's been there - possibly just since this pregnancy. 
  • Options
    @lap018 I thought it was kind of odd too bc I was just at the ob/gyn office the week prior for my pelvic exam/pap and that ob didn't say a word about it. So who knows. I just wanted someone to look at it so we can keep track of any changes if they occur! 
  • Options
    @DanaG did you mean vulvar melanoma our vulvar moles are common with pregnancy? Most derms will not look at your vaginal area without a reason. I make mine check every visit, which is every 3 months. I have generalized anxiety disorder and get terrible anxiety regarding skin cancer.
  • Options
    @smevan11 my Ob said vulvar melanoma was common during pregnancy. 
  • Options
    DanaG said:
    @smevan11 my Ob said vulvar melanoma was common during pregnancy. 
    I'm confused because melanoma is a serious skin cancer that can be deadly. So I don't understand how it can just be common in pregnancy. Did he mean it is more common to be found in pregnancy? I have heard that pregnancy can speed up the process of skin cancers which is scary. I guess the hormones accelerate growth? 
  • Options
    @jessieR358 I took it as it commonly develops during pregnancy? I figured bc of hormones. I didn't ask him to elaborate on the statement. I don't know what he meant by common.... he didn't throw any statistics out. Maybe he had seen it himself, in some of his patients, who knows. 
  • Options
    I made an appt for a full body mole check today for later this week with my Derm office. The PA usually does it but I'm going to see if she can take a 2nd look at my spot just for reassurance. 
  • Options
    DanaG said:
    @jessieR358 I took it as it commonly develops during pregnancy? I figured bc of hormones. I didn't ask him to elaborate on the statement. I don't know what he meant by common.... he didn't throw any statistics out. Maybe he had seen it himself, in some of his patients, who knows. 
    Well he hasn't seen vulvar melanoma on himself unless he's not a man ;)

but it I think a second look with a derm is a great idea! 
  • Options
    So just an update to share if anyone is interested - I saw the nurse practitioner at the dermatologist's office today for a total body mole check and she looked at the spot on my vulva! She said it looks fine and did not feel that it needed to be removed now but to watch for the normal changes - size, shape, color, etc. she gave me the option to follow up in 3 months just to have it looked at again so I made an appt!