Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

BBT Suggestions

KarrotelleKarrotelle member
edited March 2017 in Trying to Get Pregnant
Hey All,
I need to buy a new BBT but I'm wondering if anyone has one that does NOT beep when it is done taking your temp? I've run into the issue where the beeping is waking my H up. He works nights so he is JUST falling asleep when it's time for me to get up and take my temp. The beeping wakes him, even with ear plugs in. Half the time I can't see the screen because it is dark in the room, so I'm trying to use my cell flashlight to see it, while it's beeping, and it's just a disaster!

Does anyone have a BBT that does not beep (or allows you to turn off the beep) and has a backlit screen? Or am I asking for a unicorn device?

Edited for spelling
Me: 32 / H: 35
Married 9-19-2009
Baby Karrot 1.0 - 6.18.2012 - She's here! Via C-section @ 38 weeks.
Baby Karrot 2.0 -
6.25.2015 - He's here! Via VBAC @ 36 weeks.
Baby Karrot 3.0 - 3.9.2017 - BFP @ 9 DPO! EDD 11.20.2017 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: BBT Suggestions

• Options
    Same. I also used the Mabis. It doesn't wake H up, but the high pitched beep sometimes scares the shit out of the dog. Maybe check out a couple on Amazon and read the reviews to see if anyone mentions the beeping?
    Me:31 ~ DH: 28
    Swiped Right: 6/2014
    Married: 9/2016
    TTC # 1: 11/2016 
     BFP: 5/2017
    Baby Boy: 1/2018
    Link to FF Charts
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LoveInDCLoveInDC member
    edited March 2017
    I use the Mabis vaginally. It's not backlit, so I just lean over the side of the bed to check it with my phone. Between the covers and my legs muffling the beeps, DH sleeps through it. He's even to the point where he sleeps through the phone alarm reminder for my BBT lol

Two possible solutions for you:
    • Use your current thermometer vaginally. Most thermometers have recall, aka they show you your last temp when you turn it back on. So you can take it vaginally to muffle the noise, turn it off, and then turn it back on later to record the temp when it recalls.
    • Use a mercury thermometer. It takes much much longer, but it's silent. It also will keep the temperature until you shake it down. So you silently take your temp when you want to, set the thermometer aside, check it again when it's light outside, and then shake it down.
  • Options
    @LoveInDC Thanks for the suggestions! I totally forgot about the recall feature. That will help. If I can muffle the beeps and turn it off under the covers, that should work.
    Married 9-19-2009
    Baby Karrot 2.0 -
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    *lurking*

@karrotelle, @LoveInDC gave some good advice! With the recall feature, just be careful to only recall it when you can absolutely see the screen clearly and have something there to record it immediately (maybe do a practice round when it doesn't count to see how long it shows the temp). that's what I did...temped vaginally, turned off after one beep so it wouldn't always wake up H (and so I wasn't obsessing about my temp at 4:30am). Then later when I woke up, I'd check the temp, but it only popped up for 1-2 seconds and then it was gone forever with my thermometer. There were a few days when I just missed it from a glare on the screen i couldn't adjust in time, etc.

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    Although I, like @antoto, never care if it does wake H up (alarm or beeping).... I agree with @LoveinDC about temping vaginally. It totally muffles the sound (sometimes I'm unsure if I hear the beep or not) - I use the Mabis and it beeps a few times then stops, so you could temp vaginally, let it stop beeping, then pull it out and read the temp. 
  • Options
    Well, I'm late to the party, but since I'm here... I do the same thing @LoveInDC does and temp under the covers. Actually, just a word of warning, depending on how thick our blankets are, I sometimes can't hear my Mabis beep at all.

H has never complained about beeping, my temping alarm, or the light... Probably because he doesn't want to get stabbed in the eye with the thermometer...and like @antoto I guess I'm sort of a mean person because I don't care if I wake him up. I guess he's just lucky I temp vaginally, lol.
  • Options
    I bought my thermometer from Amazon. It's made by iProven and the beep is very quiet and there is no backlight. 
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Woah, time out, full disclosure, I'm new here and have never temped, but I thought I understood the concept - you temp vaginally?!? I did not know this was a thing! Is oral/armpit/temporal not as accurate? I am considering starting next cycle if this one doesn't work out. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @kvacmak, you don't have to temp vaginally; it's totally up to you.  Many women temp orally, and as long as you're seeing clear temp shifts and your temps aren't too wonky, it works fine.  If you want to start out temping orally, that's totally okay.  However, if you decide temping orally isn't working for you, wait for your next cycle to switch.  Your temperature will be different, and it's best to stick to one method during a cycle.  People tend to temp vaginally if their temps shift up and down a lot, or if their temps are artificially low because they breathe through their mouth while sleeping.  Temping vaginally lends itself to more consistent results because there are fewer factors that can affect your baseline temp.  That being said, many women are able to clearly see their temp shifts using oral temps and they have no need to temp vaginally. 
  • Options
    KarrotelleKarrotelle member
    edited March 2017
    @kvacmak I always found temping vaginally best for me because I snore at night and am a mouth breather (sexy right?). So my temps were never consistent orally. With vaginally I got awesome temps, clear shifts and both times I have been pregnant, you can clearly see everything on my chart based on my temps.
    Married 9-19-2009
    Baby Karrot 2.0 -
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've temped orally for a year.  I'm not officially TTC yet... I used it as BC, and aside from the stray temp here or there, it's great.  I take my temp upon waking, which varies a little.  On days I work early, I can see that it's a bit lower.  After doing it for several months and seeing a clear shift and consistent cycles, I don't really feel that I need to temp anymore, but I do... it's fun and interesting.

As for the thermometers, I definitely like the memory feature.  My first one was a bit more basic, but the one I use now is backlit and stores several temps, along with time and date.  I don't love either of them, but they get the job done.  And, they both beep.  If it didn't beep, how would you know it was ready?