September 2017 Moms
Options

International Travel with Baby

Hey everyone! So, we had some major news this week. DH and I were chosen to lead one of our university's study abroad trips, which means we'll be living and teaching in Scotland from January to May of 2018. We are so excited and decided to take this adventure, even with a wee baby along for the ride. After talking to some parent friends, they almost unanimously said it would be easier to do it now than when our kid is a toddler. So, we're going for it! 

However, now we're trying to plan the first year of little one's life on two different continents. This means everything we buy has to have that in mind. Does anyone have any travel tips or gear suggestions for the globe-trotting infant? I thought this might make a good stand alone thread for anyone else who will be doing a lot of travelling in that first year. Knowing we're going to be in-and-out of planes and trains constantly has definitely changed the way I'm registering for baby stuff! 

Re: International Travel with Baby

• Options
    Get a Tula baby carrier (standard size)! We went to Europe and put our then 18 month old in that the entire trip. I've used it with her since she was born. You'll want an infant insert depending on baby's weight. But Tula's are 100xs more comfy than Ergo or other structured carrier. You could also do a Moby wrap for infant stages. If you so want a stroller, we used our Mountain Buggy Echo with our son in Europe. It folds down to a suitcase size and has a shoulder strap. Easy peasy!

other stuff: Get a Nose Frida instead of a nose bulb. We love the Aiden & Anaise (spelling?) thin blankets and used them for everything. Same went for a pack of cotton large sized "diaper" (they're large rectangular clothes that have a thick inner panel) - reusable and we always used them as burp clothes. Added bonus - if you run out of a diaper while out and about, these will definitely work! We Always carried like 3 or 4 of them on us haha.

Europes got really great products that are innovative and space saving so you could just get stuff there as needed. 
  • Options
    We haven't traveled internationally but we have taken multiple trips with DS and the younger they are the easier they travel! You could really buy many things there since the cost to ship the items would be expensive. However, for plane travel, a stroller and carrier are ideal. You can wear baby and put your carry-on luggage on the stroller.  Strollers and car seats travel free :) For abroad, a pack n play is cheaper (and travels great!) than buying and shipping a crib all over. You could also bedshare if you feel that's your thing and then you wouldn't need any sleeping apparatus for LO. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @tiki8286 how tall are you? I've heard Tula's aren't as comfortable for shorter moms (I'm 5'3") but I love the patterns. I have an ergo 360 and really like it! On the topic of wraps, I love solly baby wraps for when they are newborns. 
    Wear your baby through the airport! I would bring the car seat on the plane or you can request a bassinet depending on the size of the baby then. 
  • Options
    We have done the international travel & move with a little one & a kindergartner (he was just barely 9 months the first time) and I'll be temporarily moving back to the States while hubby is deployed while pregnant with this one. I'm dreading those flights back now that our youngest is a toddler. At the age you'll be traveling, you'll have it easy. Bring your car seat, and a wrap/carrier to travel on the plane. We had a strolled and it was more of a PAIN than anything. Buy one overseas. Pack and play is the way to go for sleep. Minimize the clothing you bring (seasons will likely be different there and you can always buy additional items when you get there). Keep toys to a minimum as baby at that age won't need much. 
  • Options
    I second everyone's suggestions that you plan to babywear more than using a stroller, since it's hard to plan for the terrain, and if you're babywearing then the baby can share your umbrella when it's raining. I would keep toys to a minimum, but pack a couple of "familiar" bed/bath items, to help the baby transition to a new place. There isn't going to be a huge difference between baby stuff in Scotland vs home, so you don't have to worry about specific vaccines or their baby food being unsanitary or anything, which is nice. 

I don't know if this is true for Scotland, but I've noticed that every country I've travelled to has smaller cars than the US (on average), so you might want to make sure your car seat is good for smaller vehicles/narrower seats. Other then that, good luck and have fun!! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Baby wearing is fantastic. As for carriers, try and find a store/class/group where you can try them out. Speaking from experience, I learned the hard way, the most popular carrier might not be the best one for you. Lilliebaby is what worked best for me, but just barely since I'm on the petite side. 
  • Options
    Carebella said:
    Baby wearing is fantastic. As for carriers, try and find a store/class/group where you can try them out. Speaking from experience, I learned the hard way, the most popular carrier might not be the best one for you. Lilliebaby is what worked best for me, but just barely since I'm on the petite side. 
    I second this! I'm not petite at 5'8", but am on the slender side non pregnant and I love our Lillebaby too! I have the all seasons one an it's been amazing for changing climates & seasons. 
  • Options
    These mamas have got you covered. Great advice, ladies! Babies are surprisingly easy to travel with. I just wanted to add that they often have the hardest time with pressure changes during take off and landing, so either breastfeed or offer something to drink or suck on to help keep those airways equalized. 
  • Options
    Leave all your summer, and maybe even spring, clothes at home. Scotland is generally pretty chilly year round, you'll still be wearing long sleeves and a light jacket in May. Marks & Spencer as well as Tesco are great places to buy baby things you need at very good prices so you don't have to pack everything. I always bring my heavy duty stroller with me due to the cobblestone streets and any walks you take on paths in the woods. The heating is $$ for houses so it's usually chilly, keep that in mind for the baby. And I highly suggest a pack & play to sleep in. We order things off Amazon UK to ship direct to my in-laws when we visit to cut down on packing everything we own. Overall I feel like baby items are generally cheaper there and you have a much better selection vs in the states.  
  • Options
    TexafornianTexafornian member
    edited February 2017
    @tiki8286 how tall are you? I've heard Tula's aren't as comfortable for shorter moms (I'm 5'3") but I love the patterns. I have an ergo 360 and really like it! On the topic of wraps, I love solly baby wraps for when they are newborns. 
    Wear your baby through the airport! I would bring the car seat on the plane or you can request a bassinet depending on the size of the baby then. 
    I'm 5'2" and on the slim side and LOVE LOVE LOVE my Tula! I went through a Beco, Ergo, Moby wrap, K'tan and a sling before finding that the Tula was most comfortable, had ease of putting on and worked with my petite frame :)
    BUT...y'all should go test everything if you can because different strokes for different folks! 

Note...it also works on my 6' hubby. He's worn the Beco before as well with success.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

**TW**
    Losses:
     #1: 8wks MMC 4/16
    #2: 13+4 T21 + Hydrops 3/17
  • Options
    We went to Southeast Asia when our daughter was 8 months old. Pack light. Get a seat with a bassinet, if you can. Snacks are great too!