March 2017 Moms

Breastfeeding rants raves and support

Re: Breastfeeding rants raves and support

• MsTurney said:
    Anyone else feel like a round the clock cow? I certainly do. Part of me wants her to drink formula from a bottle so I can get a little break. But she hates it. I do pump and give a nightly bottle but I want little one to have some formula so she sleeps longer than 2-3 hours for her first stretch. Anyone know of formula that babies prefer, we've tried similar and the e one ... no luck 
    Just my opinion, but: I wouldn't mess with the formula thing. I know the possibility of sleep anyway you can get it is tempting, but it also can cause the opposite and you'd get less sleep. Upset tummy, constipation, etc. im sure she'll start stretching out sleep soon-it usually hits sometime after 8wks. 
  • npaulienpaulie member
    @msturney we give LO one bottle of formula before bed every other night and I pump while DH gives him the bottle. I'll say this though, regardless of its formula or pumped breast milk, LO will CHUG the milk from the bottle because he doesn't have to work as hard for it as he does with the breast. After having a bottle he goes straight into a food coma and usually sleeps really well afterward. However, whether it was formula or breast milk didn't affect how long he slept. It's still nearly always the same amount of time he's asleep for afterwards.

The speed at which he drinks bottles has tempted me a few times to go to exclusively pumping (because LO is a really slow eater and each nursing session takes nearly an hour each time.)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    edited May 2017
    @MsTurney with DD1 I heard those wives tales about formula helping baby sleep longer so I tried it at night. It didn't help my daughter sleep longer at all. I don't know who started that lie but I think it's just anti BF propaganda.

• Thanks for your responses. We have bottle fed her pumped milk and she does love it. Doesn't seem to give her more or less time at night and I find she doesn't get as milk drunk as if on the breast. Man, babies are confusing creatures 
  • I have had over supply/forceful letdown so far (DD is 6w) she has slept a 5hr stretch at night 3 of the last 4 nights.  Yesterday I woke up super engoged,  today I wake up and my boobs feel deflated like they normally do at night.  Can you have the regulation thing happen THAT fast?  I'll watch her diapers today.  I'm paranoid that my under eating, sweating on a walk & under hydrating yesterday have messed us up.
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• kjd291kjd291 member
    MrsBinPA said:
    I have had over supply/forceful letdown so far (DD is 6w) she has slept a 5hr stretch at night 3 of the last 4 nights.  Yesterday I woke up super engoged,  today I wake up and my boobs feel deflated like they normally do at night.  Can you have the regulation thing happen THAT fast?  I'll watch her diapers today.  I'm paranoid that my under eating, sweating on a walk & under hydrating yesterday have messed us up.
    You'll be okay!! Don't worry. More deflated boobs usually finalyyyy starts to happen around 6wks. Just because they feel more empty doesn't mean they are! Just means you get to be more comfortable. 
  • just started pumping today and I have a question regarding milk storage. More of a "what works for you" question than looking for a specific answer.

how much do you keep in the fridge vs the freezer? Do you go straight to the freezer, or do you always refrigerate first?

how do you (personally) thaw frozen milk? How long does it take?

I don't think I'm going to need a huge stash as I'm leaning towards becoming a SAHM, but will need some stash. Am planning to look into donation if my supply allows it since lo won't need bottles every day.
    Team Green turned Pink!
    Samantha - 4/5/2017

• I freeze everything so I can rotate my stash. I just run hot water over the bag and it melts in less than 2 mins. I've never had a leaking issue with bags.
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    edited May 2017
    Straight to the freezer, freezing flat for easier thawing. I run hot water over the bag (5min?) OR let it sit upright in a bowl if I'm not in a hurry (hour?).

I ran through my previous freezer stashes faster than I expected after going back to work, even with me pumping 2x/day and sometimes at night. I had 200oz frozen when I returned to work after DD2 (she was 6 months old) and it was gone by her birthday. 
  • I have been keeping one 4oz bag in the fridge.  DD only gets like a bottle a week just to get her used to it until I go back to work.  If I didn't use the bag when I pump next I put the old one in the freezer and the new one in the fridge.  If I pump enough to make two bags I put one in the freezer right away.  With DS I was able to donate a few times.  I did it through Human Milk for Human Babies on Facebook.
  • So I'm 4 weeks pp today & beginning a day or two ago I've felt that my boobs have been feeling empty more often than not. I was worried about my supply drying up since I've really only been feeding him on demand instead of a schedule & he can go a long time sometimes.... but I'm glad it seems like it's actually normal and maybe my boobs are just catching up with the idea that they don't need to produce a crazy amount of milk. I have ~100 oz in my freezer I've collected just from collected leakage - haven't brought out my pump yet. Yesterday was the first day that I barely got 2 of leakage, over the course of 9 feedings...I was getting that amount at EACH feeding a week ago. Can the drop off in supply be this dramatic this soon? I've given LO a bottle every 5 days or so (4 so far) to get him used to it for when I go back to work, and he's taken them really well from me so I actually returned all the Avent bottles I bought from my registry since he doesn't seem picky & is fine with the basic Medela ones. Hoping he doesn't switch things up down the road & decide to get particular about it...wondering if any other babies have changed preferences over time?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    You have 100 oz already in 4wk?! Holy crap!

It's normal for boobs to "deflate" after 3-4 weeks as your body regulates to what lo needs. 

My babies took the Medela bottles (and evenflo which are the same nipple) and never switched up preference. 
  • Ugh I wish my boobs would deflate already!!  DD is 6 weeks old and I still wake up covered in milk with rock hard boobs most mornings. It's like my body's not picking up what I'm putting down.
  • I remember freaking out that I must have lost my supply over night because I didn't feel like anything was there. It sounds normal to me... I can't believe you have that many oz stored.. that's amazing. Your supply does even out though, so I wouldn't be worried. 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BabyFetus Ticker

• That's how I felt yesterday, I was so worried I had done something wrong but wasn't sure what! Glad to know it's normal! And yes my oversupply was no joke! I'd also wake up covered in milk (and sweat) & having to change out bras/tops often..,and LO would sometimes gag at the letdown & then throw up after eating too much too fast...thankfully that's all stopped!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    Glad things have evened out for you @serenity13 !  I'm jelly ;).
    early FFFC, I've probably dumped at least 100oz of milk down the drain from my block feeding process.... i feel really guilty, knowing I should have looked into donation-but with my vertigo and two under two I just haven't had the time. 
    In the mornings I occasionally wake up engorged and after she eats on one side I hand pump the other for literally one or two minutes and fill my 6oz bottle and dump it down the drain. I already have 50oz in my freezer, and being a SAHM with a husband never around, I honestly don't think she'll be getting any bottles.
    sooooo... I need to add to the shopping list: milk storage bags, and get on finding a local mama for donation, so I can stop just dumping my liquid gold. 
  • I'm jealous too @serenity13 still dealing with it over here as well!  The worst is when she is just falling asleep and I hear her choking noise I know everything she ate is coming out like a volcano...the worst! @kjd291 Human Milk for Human Babies makes it easy to find local Mamas to donate to.
  • npaulienpaulie member
    Now that LOs are starting to sleep longer, how are you guys managing the fullness until your body catches up? I'm started to wake up engorged again on mornings and I'm super nervous about getting mastitis again. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • mecoatsmecoats member
    @RunBooRun I've been storing a bag in the freezer and when I pump in the middle of the night what I get goes straight to storage. I finish up the bag in the fridge and then freeze that if it's full. Then get a new bag if I pump more than what the bag will hold. Most of what I pump goes to freezer, but some does stay in the fridge.

also - @serenity13 I'm jealous of your stash. I only just reached the 100 oz at 7 weeks from pumping. We are a supplementation family. 
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • Spartanrd4Spartanrd4 member
    edited May 2017
    @npaulie I pump before I go to bed, helps the breast fullness when I make sure they are completely drained before I sleep. Your boobs do get used to baby STTN, I am definitely not as engorged feeling these days (boobs aren't hard and painful after 7 hours or so of not feeding).
  • It's also normal for leaking to stop. Leaking doesn't always correlate to how much milk you have...its your letdown reflex. It adjusts itself so you don't let down (as much) if a baby isn't attached to your nipple. Of course it's also normal to leak for a long time. Its frustrating, but really weight gain and wet diapers is the best way to track supply.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hey ladies this week I have been smelling so bad! I change my bra at night and in the morning along with my breast pads. Early in the week I though it was BO so I was applying deodorant like 3-5 times a day but then I realized it's soiled milk :-/ I shower regularly but it's so gross and I feel sorry for my baby! He is 6 weeks on Monday And this is the first time I have experienced this. Today after I got up I wiped myself off with a washcloth and changed everything but it was still there a few hours later. I only smell it when I breastfeed... any suggestions? Anyone dealing with this? 
  • @ashley14598 I am also perpetually stinky.  I have been swabbing my underarms with rubbing alcohol before applying deodorant.  Bacteria makes the underarm smell.  It helps some.  I swear some of it also is wearing the nursing bras 24/7.  Mine aren't 100% cotton.  That might help a bit if they were.  I feel like my cleavage & underboob is sweaty a lot.  I'm still a bit hot flashy at night sometimes.  I will be 7w PP tomorrow.  The stink is normal from what I have read.  It helps Baby identify you and whatnot.
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• npaulienpaulie member
    Have also been stinky (will be 8 weeks PP Monday). Part of it is BO from sweating from hot flashes, the other part is milk from the breast pads getting stinky. Been trying to change those more often 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • npaulienpaulie member
    Guys, I've got mastitis AGAIN but in my other boob now. I'm feeling SO discouraged today.  I just finally finished the 2 weeks of antibiotics from last time and have a yeast infection as a result. I'm going to have to go on them on again now for another 2 weeks and wait till that's done to start treating the yeast infection. I want to keep breastfeeding, but I've only been breastfeeding for less than 8 weeks and I've now got mastitis twice and thrush (which I've basically had since LO was 3 weeks old). I'm really struggling with sticking with this right now. :(
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @npaulie ughhh, that sounds awful. Can you ask for a shorter course of antibiotics? When I got Mastitis I only had to take for 7 days. Have you looked into Lectithin? My LC reccomended it to prevent against Mastitis- especially when your normal bf-ing routine is altered (traveling, etc.)
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    @npaulie I'm so sorry to hear you got it again. I also had it twice in a month. Probiotics helped me incredibly. Are you taking culturelle? There was also a dannon probiotic drink I was taking halfway between doses of meds. It helped prevent yeast and GI upset. Good luck! Get better!
    @Ivorytower2 did your lo react to lecithin at all? I tried it once and had sleep issues (she didn't sleep) so I was afraid to try again. How much are you taking?
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    Ughhh @npaulie I am so so sorry to hear that :( huge creepy internet hugs.  BF and mama hood is so hard on its own, it sucks when you get extra things like this to deal with too.  Prayers it can heal up super fast! 
  • Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in being stinky it's just part of the fun! :) 

im so sorry @npaulie that is awful to be dealing with :-( As others have said this is all so hard! I feel like I am consistently learning something new about it. I hope you get to feeling better and quick! 
  • oh nooo @npaulie :'(
    I'm so sorry to hear you're dealing with it again, how incredibly frustrating! I hope you recover quickly from it & hope you can stay strong!❤
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh no, @npaulie so sorry you are dealing with this again.  I did see something about lechithin for chronic plugged ducts and mastitis but I didn't really read about it...might be worth checking out. 
  • npaulienpaulie member
    Thanks ladies. BF is definitely tough, isn't it?! @cbeanz I am taking a probiotic inbetween doses of the antibiotic. 

@Ivorytower2 I've never heard of lectithin. Will have to ask about that when I go in. Thanks for the tip!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh man @npaulie !!! I'm so sorry to hear that. Hoping it clears up soon & that you stay encouraged to continue BFg. You're a wonderful Momma!
  • @Cbeanz I have not noticed LO having any reaction, but I haven't taken it consistently yet.
  • npaulienpaulie member
    This may sound like a dumb question, but what do you ladies wear to nurse in when it's hot? Just nursing tanks? I live somewhere not very warm, but I'm about to fly to visit my parents where it'll be like 80-90F. Just trying to figure out if I need to go buy more clothes before the trip 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @npaulie normally I just wear a nursing tank under whatever shirt I am wearing so I can pull the top shirt up but have my lower half covered by the tank. i did that when I travelled to FL in April too and it worked just fine for me. 
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • @npaulie I just wear a nursing tank or just a regular tank top.  I have some that are stretchy enough to pull down and nurse or slip the strap off my shoulder.
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    edited May 2017
    I usually pull down or pull up, but I just "splurged" and bought two of these. Big fan so far! 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Y2P2H28/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Ok girls so it was my second day back at work today and during my first pumping session one of the guys knocked on the door to let me know I had a call. I had to tell him I was pumping. Then the next time I was pumping he started to walk in my office... I had the door closed and locked. He went and got another set of keys to get in to get something. I had to yell for him not to come in. So embarrassing. It's a small office of like 6 people and I was trying to be inconspicuous that I was pumping. One of the girls made me a big green sign saying do not enter this means you bob. How you you girls do it? I find it kind of embarrassing/awkward I'm not sure why. Wednesday my boss and co worker are in town - both men - and I am going to need to interrupt our training session to pump twice....
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    I've never worked and pumped before,
    but when I'm visiting offices or using spaces I just put a sticky note on the door to keep people from busting in.
    im sorry it's awkward right now. It's one of those things that gets better with time. You need to get used to it being "Normal" and they will get used to it being the norm too.