July 2017 Moms
Options

FFFC 2/24

Re: FFFC 2/24

• Options
    nktrodden826nktrodden826 member
    edited February 2017
    lol okay guys 

Eta think I'm lying over such an unnecessary thing to lie about? hop on over to the June15 board that I started saying alcohol while pregnant and you can see i discussed this exact same thing with the moms there. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh I totally agree. I tried everything and when it got to the point that I couldn't leave my house I needed something else and she would not prescribe any sort of anxiety medication- that was her answer and it definitely worked! Didn't drink every night but when I was feeling anxious I would! 
    im really confused though, what if you had a panic attack/severe anxiety at 9am?  Were you to have a drink then?   if not, and you were only supposed to have one at dinner time then how was that supposed to help a morning or afternoon panic attack/anxiety?? It doesn't even make sense.   Alcohol (especially only one glass) lasts for a max of maybe a couple of hours... how did that help your anxiety the other 22(ish) hours of the day?  

• Options
    Oh I totally agree. I tried everything and when it got to the point that I couldn't leave my house I needed something else and she would not prescribe any sort of anxiety medication- that was her answer and it definitely worked! Didn't drink every night but when I was feeling anxious I would! 
    im really confused though, what if you had a panic attack/severe anxiety at 9am?  Were you to have a drink then?   if not, and you were only supposed to have one at dinner time then how was that supposed to help a morning or afternoon panic attack/anxiety?? It doesn't even make sense.   Alcohol (especially only one glass) lasts for a max of maybe a couple of hours... how did that help your anxiety the other 22(ish) hours of the day?  

Lol is this a question you really need me to answer! She said with dinner so i think it's safe to assume she didn't mean if you're anxious at 9am have wine with your cereal. 
  • Options
    Chamomile said:
    @ellie111227 with all due respect, it's fine to lurk on a board from another month to read and entertain yourself, but it's not really cool to come in here and finger-wag at us about "no amount of alcohol has been proven to be safe during pregnancy" which is medical nonsense. There is plenty of data that small amounts are safe in studies following thousands of woman in the UK, Australia, and Denmark. The nuance is that we don't know at what precise level safe becomes unsafe, so some medical organizations thus conclude just stay away. 

None of this is the point though. My request would be if you want to preach your opinion, don't come lurking and do it on a different BMB. I really don't mean this to be a flame - I just think that many of us July ladies have responses to @nktrodden826's wine topic, and we are perfectly capable of discussing it ourselves.
    Howdy Sheriff! 
  • Options

Lol is this a question you really need me to answer! She said with dinner so i think it's safe to assume she didn't mean if you're anxious at 9am have wine with your cereal. 
    Ok but you didn't answer the real question which was: how then did drinking a glass only at night help your anxiety the entire rest of the day?   I'm not being rude to you at all, I'm just trying to understand how it helped you- so I'm confused as to why you are "lol-ing" at my question.....   I think it's a pretty reasonable question
    I'm not the doctor- I don't know why it worked but it allowed me to function when I had to. Maybe like someone else said it was the placebo effect, who knows. Again, it worked. I did my own research as well as discussing in depth with the June 15 mamas who all had a lot of experiences. My dr even had medical information and statistics to back it up.

Yes, im seeing the same doctor who happened to be the doctor who delivered myself and my brother some 25+ years ago so maybe she's old school in her thinking that this would work but again it got me through my second trimester when the anxiety was debilitating. Luckily I haven't had any issues with anxiety yet this pregnancy but I'm only 19 weeks so let me go knock on something wooden. 

Not going to lie I didn't realize this would have started such a shit storm. 
  • Options
    Howdy Sheriff! 

Is there not enough going on with the June boards for you guys?
  • Options
    +1 for posting where one wants. I'm on the June/July cusp, but it's not like I only value the opinion of the people from those two months! 
    (Plus this board is dead, especially on weekends)
    And if I had something to add on a different BMB, *especially* one after my own, I'm going to say it.
    Pretty much all of this.  I comment on both June and July and would (and have) chime in on any other board if I had something to say.  
  • Options
    Well yeah! 
  • Options
    My two cents even though it's a reiteration- I don't think 6oz of wine a day is bad, during pregnancy or not. My concern is using alcohol as a coping mechanism or in a self-medicating fashion.

Most people that abuse alcohol don't go into it thinking "I am going to drink to excess because it's fun or seems like a good decision for me" but it starts out as a way to unwind, help with social anxiety/a social activity and/or de-stress - especially when it becomes a regular thing. Becoming dependent on alcohol and crossing that line is subtle and 99% of the time (don't source me here...) one has a problem before they notice it. 
  • Options
    @satsumasandlemons I probably have a Big Mac a week. They recently came out with a Mac Jr and it's a game changer for me. Whoppers? EH....
    We have been doing this for years here.  Just ordered a double cheeseburger off the value menu and asked them to "dress it like a Mac."  Good for people who can't eat a whole Big Mac too.  Some days I truly do feel like it tastes better than a Mac and I believe 1 less layer of breading?  I use to hate Big Mac's then one time I tried them and fell in love with that good ole' sauce!  Haven't wanted them pregnant but the fries, man I went through a "salty" phase last month and ate a lot of fries haha!  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Options
    Alright y'all, majority rules! June lurkers, have at it. 

FTR, July ladies who haven't already may want to check out their board to see what they have to say about us... try the "Weight Gain-midway point check in!
  • Options
    Chamomile said:
    Alright y'all, majority rules! June lurkers, have at it. 

FTR, July ladies who haven't already may want to check out their board to see what they have to say about us... try the "Weight Gain-midway point check in!
    And? It's not like they're the first board to talk about July. Go lurk May, August, October, I'm sure there are others as well. As far as the weight gain thread, it was a BS post for stupid numbers and yes I'm the one who said put and trigger warning bc there are some pregnant women on this board that have a hard time with the number they've gained or haven't. The end. June on the other hand is hilarious, I think you're just trying to flame them for mocking one thread on this board?
  • Options
    Guys, there are corners on the internet that literally discuss what else they've seen on the internet. Other month boards starting discussions about this month board is not a big deal.
  • Options
    @MrsLa3 not a flame at all, I just think not everyone knows about all the cross-board talk and some may find it interesting. 
  • Options
    stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited February 2017
    Oh man.  Fellow anxiety sufferer over here.  Your Dr wouldn't put you on anti-anxiety meds?  Why the hell not?  Did they even suggest CBT?  There are so many other things they could have suggested before jumping on the booze bandwagon.  I'm surprised she/he (?!) even mentioned that.  Now I know you're not getting drunk and from my understanding, you don't even drink a glass every night, but alcohol makes my anxiety soooo much worse.  I stayed on my meds throughout my pregnancy.  I'm on a super low dose, so low that my Dr isn't at all concerned but I'm still on them.  I'm trying to figure out why your Dr might feel like alcohol is better than a medication?  

I too have a fear of throwing up that I developed while adjusting to said meds.  2 weeks ago I had the stomach flu and ... yeah ... it came out.  I know you can't just "make" yourself throw up if you're not feeling sick but exposure made me feel better about it.  I threw up and I didn't choke and die and the next time it happens I won't be as scared. I guess my $0.02 is that just because your Dr says to doesn't make it okay.  If that's what you want to do then that's certainly your choice.  But personally, I would have told my Dr no effing way (she would never even think of suggesting that in the first place) and started doing research on other ways to help myself out.  I know a lot of anxiety sufferers do throw up when they have an attack but have you ever?  Because chances are if you haven't already, you won't.  I always feel sick when I get an attack but have never thrown up because of it.  

I personally really think you need to find other ways to deal with your anxiety.  For both your baby's health and yours ...  Dependency (on anything) can become a very real problem with anxiety and you don't want to develop that kind of relationship with alcohol.  

ETA words
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Options
    I guess my UO is if you drink daily, that's heavy drinking. This is coming from someone who doesn't drink at all ever, so daily drinking sounds like a lot to me. My drug of choice is coffee, normally but not so much while pregnant because it makes me gag. I would consider myself a heavy coffee drinker because when not pregnant, I drink at least one cup daily. Lol. Also, if I was *not* pregnant and my doctor told me to drink daily for anxiety....I would be out the door so fast. That just seems so odd to me. If they told me this while pregnant, I wouldn't be able to hold my mouth before I started questioning the doctor the second they said that. 
  • Options
    I just want to add that as a fellow "afraid of throwing up" person, I'm glad to hear that the fear has gotten better once you have kids. The only time I was ever able to handle it was under the influence (like, in college, when you have to bring your friend home from a party). I'm not drinking at all this pregnancy, but also wouldn't put it past myself to mix a cocktail if my kid gets the stomach bug and I have to deal with helping him/her all night...
  • Options
    stokesm21 said:
    Oh man.  Fellow anxiety sufferer over here.  Your Dr wouldn't put you on anti-anxiety meds?  Why the hell not?  Did they even suggest CBT?  There are so many other things they could have suggested before jumping on the booze bandwagon.  I'm surprised she/he (?!) even mentioned that.  Now I know you're not getting drunk and from my understanding, you don't even drink a glass every night, but alcohol makes my anxiety soooo much worse.  I stayed on my meds throughout my pregnancy.  I'm on a super low dose, so low that my Dr isn't at all concerned but I'm still on them.  I'm trying to figure out why your Dr might feel like alcohol is better than a medication?  

I too have a fear of throwing up that I developed while adjusting to said meds.  2 weeks ago I had the stomach flu and ... yeah ... it came out.  I know you can't just "make" yourself throw up if you're not feeling sick but exposure made me feel better about it.  I threw up and I didn't choke and die and the next time it happens I won't be as scared. I guess my $0.02 is that just because your Dr says to doesn't make it okay.  If that's what you want to do then that's certainly your choice.  But personally, I would have told my Dr no effing way (she would never even think of suggesting that in the first place) and started doing research on other ways to help myself out.  I know a lot of anxiety sufferers do throw up when they have an attack but have you ever?  Because chances are if you haven't already, you won't.  I always feel sick when I get an attack but have never thrown up because of it.  

I personally really think you need to find other ways to deal with your anxiety.  For both your baby's health and yours ...  Dependency (on anything) can become a very real problem with anxiety and you don't want to develop that kind of relationship with alcohol.  

ETA words
    My doctor would not prescribe ANY anxiety medications. I was seeing a psychologist once a week since the anxiety started around 6-7weeks(can't remember exactly) and then started hypnotherapy which surprisingly helped some with the vomit fear. I didn't have anything like this until I became pregnant, as I mentioned, and didn't have any specific trigger- I just CONSTANTLY felt like I was watching a scary movie when you know something is about to pop out- that constant state of fight or flight it seemed like. At the time My husband worked nights and my anxiety worsened on my way home from work around 5:00 knowing nobody would be home but what if someone broke in and was waiting for me. My house looked like Ft Knox with all of the chain locks, dead bolts and alarm systems. So coming home when he wasn't there 2-3 nights a week having a glass of wine even the first sip took the edge off.

I've always had a phobia of vomit but it's more watching people or knowing it might happen if one of my students said they had a stomachache my anxiety would be THROUGH THE ROOF until the bell rang- then I'd Clorox the entire room. I don't vomit with panic attacks and I don't have anxiety when I'm not pregnant and don't have it with this pregnancy. So it was literally just that pregnancy. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"