July 2017 Moms
Options

UO Thursday 2-23-17

2»

Re: UO Thursday 2-23-17

• Options
    @yellow1daisy +1 I Really dislike long nails ..!! My nails both on my hands and feet have to be short otherwise I feel disgusting. I cook a lot too and can't imagine digging longer nails into food *gross*. 
  • Options
    I would smoke every damn day if it wasn't going to kill me. I have an addictive personality though and can't have just one..with both of my BFP's I was smoking on and off and that was the only thing that got me to quit (duh). I love it so much that I blame social stressors on it and why I do it but it's really because I just want to smoke. A glass of red wine and a cigarette on a warm fall night? GAHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    stokesm21 said:
    Sooo much this.  *sigh*  However, I have read wonderful things about Allen Carr's book.  He claims that you'll never crave again for life (and has a 50% success rate compared to any other method)  How nice that would be!  I'm reading it ... 
    I don't crave them, and was somehow never addicted. My dad smokes cigars and I looooooooove the smell. I like the taste of cigarettes and really like cloves (the first things I actually smoked in college).
  • Options
    My UO: I enjoy pregnancy. It makes me feel powerful and centered, and gives me purpose. I look like absolute shit right now, but I love my naked pregnant body. I look better naked than clothed. Sorry, yoga pants and flannel shirts and unwashed hair. You're dragging me down. 

+1 loving it.  I even said to my mom yesterday that I had no idea that I'd love it this much.  I feel good and everyone tells me I have that 'glow' (I don't see it but yay!)  and I love the bump!
    ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• Options
    RE: Birth plans, I have a theory (that I just thought of right now while going through these UOs) that the more insistent/committed you are to a birth plan,the more smug you are if you are able to have the universe align or the more disappointed/traumatized you are if things don't go in that direction. 

(I was very much a birth plan person and i was in the PTSD camp for a long time) 
  • Options
    This could be more of a confession than UO, but i have never smoked a cigarette. Just never appealed to me. Yuck.

I really wish I felt better about my pregnant self than I do. I'm so happy to be having a baby, but I just want the baby to be here. I'm such a control freak, and I just feel like my body is completely out of my control. Does it get easier???? 
  • Options
    @PurplePoppy424 I think you'll find many more people who agree with you than us! 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    This could be more of a confession than UO, but i have never smoked a cigarette. Just never appealed to me. Yuck.

I really wish I felt better about my pregnant self than I do. I'm so happy to be having a baby, but I just want the baby to be here. I'm such a control freak, and I just feel like my body is completely out of my control. Does it get easier???? 
    Ok, so I definitely have those days where I sob to DH that my brain feels like it's being invaded by an alien. And he helpfully reminds me that's pretty close to what's happening (baby cells implanting there), so I'm not crazy. So yeah, I feel you on this sentiment.

Hmmm... does it get easier? Honestly...not physically, no. The only things about pregnancy and parenting that get easier (for me) are the things that I learn to release control over. I have to actively shift my frame of mind, to make things easier. And doing that can be really really hard.

For me, the biggest example was learning to accept that DS was just not going to sleep. No matter what. Once I stopped reading all the books to find the solution, and just started focusing on little ways not to resent the multiple wake ups, it got much easier. He didn't sleep more, I just stressed less.
  • Options
    I guess my UO is I judge the hell out of someone if I see them smoking. I hate smoking. All types. I also have asthma though and it legitimately alters my breathing. I will also glare at someone smoking on the side walk while I'm on a run. 
    I was about to say the same thing.  I have never smoked an anything, and have never wanted to.

+1 on the birth plans are "wish lists."  I remember being asked by the nurses at intake any questions that would matter, and them writing it on my chart.  The only thing I cared about was the epidural aka gift from heaven.

+1 on the cover all the skin!  I met a couple while vacationing in the Outer Banks this year that had their boys in HOODED rash guards, and you can bet I'll be putting them in my Amazon cart this year.  We put sunscreen in DS's hair to protect him.  He's also ridiculously fair.

My UO (maybe?) is that I love my pregnant body.  I feel super cute and comfortable wearing all sorts of things I would normally shy away from completely.  I have a much better body image when pregnant than when not.
  • Options
    @stokesm21 I wish that latching issues were my main concern - that IS definitely a concern, don't get me wrong. But I'm more scared of side effects like the epidural giving me a migraine and/or making me puke (fear of throwing up over here). I know that can happen with or without an epidural though, and it does help to mentally prepare for all of it. I try to have a sense of humor about it. Like whenever we see someone violently ill on a tv show (House, I'm looking at you), I say, "Look honey! It's me in labor!"
    ~DD arrived July 4, 2017~
  • Options
    mrscate88mrscate88 member
    edited February 2017
    I guess my UO is I judge the hell out of someone if I see them smoking. I hate smoking. All types. I also have asthma though and it legitimately alters my breathing. I will also glare at someone smoking on the side walk while I'm on a run. 
    I hate smokers and smoking. When I find out someone smokes, my respect for them lowers just a little...Too many deaths and illnesses in my family directly related to smoking. And then the e-cigarette fad? Ridiculous.

edit words
  • Options
    Pregnancy is weird. -probably not so much an UO, but I have days I like it and days I most certainly could live without it. Also, I question the evolutionary "advantages" that we've gotten to at this point with human reproduction, like really?

UO: This country is overly obsessed with gender. I'm really having a hard time finding things that aren't overly segregated and it's annoying. (Don't get me wrong, blue/pink are good colors on their own, but I don't need EVERYTHING BABY to be in only those two colors....)
    BabyGaga

BabyGaga
  • Options

Ok, so I definitely have those days where I sob to DH that my brain feels like it's being invaded by an alien. And he helpfully reminds me that's pretty close to what's happening (baby cells implanting there), so I'm not crazy. So yeah, I feel you on this sentiment.

Hmmm... does it get easier? Honestly...not physically, no. The only things about pregnancy and parenting that get easier (for me) are the things that I learn to release control over. I have to actively shift my frame of mind, to make things easier. And doing that can be really really hard.

For me, the biggest example was learning to accept that DS was just not going to sleep. No matter what. Once I stopped reading all the books to find the solution, and just started focusing on little ways not to resent the multiple wake ups, it got much easier. He didn't sleep more, I just stressed less.
    You nailed it! I have to leave to relax more and just enjoy the ride. I'm working on it! Some days I'm totally relaxed and just go with it, but other days I find it more dificult. 
  • Options
    ThePecks said:
    Pregnancy is weird. -probably not so much an UO, but I have days I like it and days I most certainly could live without it. Also, I question the evolutionary "advantages" that we've gotten to at this point with human reproduction, like really?

UO: This country is overly obsessed with gender. I'm really having a hard time finding things that aren't overly segregated and it's annoying. (Don't get me wrong, blue/pink are good colors on their own, but I don't need EVERYTHING BABY to be in only those two colors....)
    Gender colors: I like blue and pink too, but agree there should be more variety out there! I also love orange and black but do you think I can find anything in either of those colors for my daughter? Nope. I've been shopping small and local more often and some shops are figuring this out and providing more variety, but it's expensive. 
  • Options

I know it's annoying! I'm sticking to yellows, greys, beige/brown and some blues aswell but I don't like everything being so gender specific. Do you know the sex of your baby? I could share one of my wish lists if your looking for gender neatral! 
  • Options
    I was about to say the same thing.  I have never smoked an anything, and have never wanted to.

+1 on the birth plans are "wish lists."  I remember being asked by the nurses at intake any questions that would matter, and them writing it on my chart.  The only thing I cared about was the epidural aka gift from heaven.

+1 on the cover all the skin!  I met a couple while vacationing in the Outer Banks this year that had their boys in HOODED rash guards, and you can bet I'll be putting them in my Amazon cart this year.  We put sunscreen in DS's hair to protect him.  He's also ridiculously fair.

My UO (maybe?) is that I love my pregnant body.  I feel super cute and comfortable wearing all sorts of things I would normally shy away from completely.  I have a much better body image when pregnant than when not.
    I guess that what I meant when I said a long sleeved swim shirt with built in sun protection...a rash guard?! Never heard of it, but I live in a corn field. LOL Not at the beach by the ocean...or even close to one. And only about 3 months of warm enough to swim weather. Boo! 
  • Options
    @chiquita928 they make hooded rash guards... mind blown I need one for each of my kids this summer! 
  • Options
    +1 for having better body image while pregnant. Pre-pregnancy I was a healthy weight for my height, but of course still had my own insecurities about the way I looked. Pregnant, I feel more relaxed because I am literally growing a human, so I cut myself a little bit of slack and let my body do it's thing. It helps that DH loves my body and is so supportive through any insecurities and all the changes. 
  • Options
    lph4248 said:
    @stokesm21 I wish that latching issues were my main concern - that IS definitely a concern, don't get me wrong. But I'm more scared of side effects like the epidural giving me a migraine and/or making me puke (fear of throwing up over here). I know that can happen with or without an epidural though, and it does help to mentally prepare for all of it. I try to have a sense of humor about it. Like whenever we see someone violently ill on a tv show (House, I'm looking at you), I say, "Look honey! It's me in labor!"
    I totally get this.  (Not sure if you were on the Mental Health thread at all) My anxiety disorder made me develop this really irrational fear of throwing up. I pretty much thought Nausea = Throwing Up = Panic = Choking while panicking and essentially dying.  I was so scared for those first few months of pregnancy but I had next to no morning sickness so I was very thankful.  Then 2 weeks ago (or so) I came down with the stomach flu and it came out of no where. Thankfully DH was home at the time so that helped calm me while I puked my brains out but I clearly didn't die (lol) so I'm a lot less afraid of it now.  Even when the initial fear came (which was while I was adjusting to my first-ever anti-anxiety meds) part of me wished it would just happen already so that I could stop being afraid.  Almost 2 years later and I finally got my wish! :P    
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Options
    Third tri is my favorite. Less anxiety, lots of movement, the anticipation of meeting the baby. I never feel "done" or like I need to "get this baby out". Even at 41 weeks with my littler DD. I totally understand that this would be different if I had later term complications like GD or Pre E or severe discomfort, but an uneventful third tri is my favorite part of pregnancy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @munchkinsmama Right?!?!  I approached this stranger at the pool to talk to her (super out of character) JUST to ask where the hell she found them.  She said the Gap and Amazon.  I should start looking now before I can't find one anywhere.
  • Options
    @mrscate88 you will probably find black and orange or even more "stylish" girl clothes on Next.co.uk 
    And Us.riverisland.com ... they deliver to the US. I was just drooling over their girl clothes a few days ago wishing they made them in my size lol.
  • Options
    stokesm21 said:
    I guess this is a UO related to that - I love cigarettes and would smoke every day if it wasn't terrible for you. Ditto cigars and cloves.
    Sooo much this.  *sigh*  However, I have read wonderful things about Allen Carr's book.  He claims that you'll never crave again for life (and has a 50% success rate compared to any other method)  How nice that would be!  I'm reading it ... 
    I read the book and think it will probably work if you are quitting because you really want to.  I'm +1 for I love smoking so nothing will make me stop missing it.  I quit because it's terrible for my health and super expensive not because I really wanted to.  
  • Options
    My DD wears rash guards when outside swimming- the less I have to apply sunscreen the happier we all are. Also, she even has swim hats that are 50spf. At swim lessons (indoor, once a week for the last five years) she wears one pieces, because the two-pieces can move around a bit, and it's not like she's going to adjust to make sure her asscrack isn't showing. I don't dislike two pieces on kids, I've just never seen the draw.

UO: I never liked the show "The Office". I don't think it's funny. My patients can watch netflix while I clean their teeth, and so many people pick to watch it, I want to block it on netflix. Just once I want someone to pick "Scrubs".

***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Third tri is my favorite. Less anxiety, lots of movement, the anticipation of meeting the baby. I never feel "done" or like I need to "get this baby out". Even at 41 weeks with my littler DD. I totally understand that this would be different if I had later term complications like GD or Pre E or severe discomfort, but an uneventful third tri is my favorite part of pregnancy.
    Yeah probably my UO too. I wore stiletto heels and my favorite dress to my non stress test that led to my induction at 42 weeks. I enjoyed it, and I knew I looked cute too.
  • Options
    My DD wears rash guards when outside swimming- the less I have to apply sunscreen the happier we all are. Also, she even has swim hats that are 50spf. At swim lessons (indoor, once a week for the last five years) she wears one pieces, because the two-pieces can move around a bit, and it's not like she's going to adjust to make sure her asscrack isn't showing. I don't dislike two pieces on kids, I've just never seen the draw.

UO: I never liked the show "The Office". I don't think it's funny. My patients can watch netflix while I clean their teeth, and so many people pick to watch it, I want to block it on netflix. Just once I want someone to pick "Scrubs".

OMG! Take that back!  The Office is my LIFE.  I watched it start to finish when it was on air and have rewatched it on netflix at least four times.  Kind of funny, but on the flip side my husband likes Scrubs, but I don't find it funny at all!  (He also likes The Office.)

On baby colors - Black and orange make me think Halloween, unless you don't mean together or in those particular shades, but again my mind has limited capacity to think rationally these days.

I also go in and out out of poor body image right now.  Some days I like seeing my belly growing, but this morning I felt like a blimp and was in shock by how much bigger I've gotten in four weeks.  I did a side by side photo comparison.  It's shocking.  I obviously want my baby to be healthy, but it's hard watching myself get larger and larger after having lost a significant amount of weight.  I try really hard not to let it bother me, but some days I can't even help it.

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    BusyZee said:
    I know it's annoying! I'm sticking to yellows, greys, beige/brown and some blues aswell but I don't like everything being so gender specific. Do you know the sex of your baby? I could share one of my wish lists if your looking for gender neatral! 
    @BusyZee
    I do, just don't care for the standards :)

@mrscate88
    I know right? Can't we have a larger color palate for baby in general? You start to see it more in toddler and up...

@ellie111227
    I keep seeing their ads - I may have to check it out :) 
    BabyGaga

BabyGaga