June 2017 Moms
Options

Do you have a favorite thermometer?

My 3 year old is sick with a fever today and of course our thermometer decided to die. Do you have a favorite that works for kids and infants? Which ones are you planning on getting for your new babies? 

Re: Do you have a favorite thermometer?

• Options
    This one has been the most accurate for us and it is really easy to use. I can even use it when DS is sleeping without waking him. It is not perfect but it is more accurate than anything else I have tried since I had to move on from the rectal thermometer.

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• Options
    Yes yes yes! So I'm a weirdo and have a obsession with buying and trying (and returning) thermometers... I've literally bought every high tech one I pass. This is hands down the best one I have bought (and kept!) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes yes yes! So I'm a weirdo and have a obsession with buying and trying (and returning) thermometers... I've literally bought every high tech one I pass. This is hands down the best one I have bought (and kept!) 
    I was looking at this one, but it says you can't change the batteries?? How long have you had it for? 
  • Options
    I have a braun ear thermometer that works pretty well.  It's quick which I like . I would really like a temporal one. 
  • Options
    @Kylieslip24 you're right, the battery can't be changed and once it's out you'll have to replace it. I never even noticed this until you pointed it out, we've had it over a year and no sign of it getting low. The unit itself is only on for 4 seconds at a time so the battery useage is very low. 
  • Options
    JessyKV said:
    I have a braun ear thermometer that works pretty well.  It's quick which I like . I would really like a temporal one. 
    I had the temporal one and it was so difficult to use. I wasnt smart enough to work that thing.
  • Options
    Has anyone used those pacifier ones? I feel like they wouldn't be accurate. I just registered for an in-ear one. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The one I had that broke was a temporal one too. It lasted 3 years, and was ok. I always had to take it 3-4 times though because the readings would be different. 

I'm thinking about getting this one. I like the no touch idea. 
  • Options
    We have this one for DS and love it:
    https://www.target.com/p/vicks-baby-rectal-thermometer-blue-and-white/-/A-12729442
    but he's still at an age that a rectal thermometer is the way to go. 
  • Options
    I have a Braun forehead thermometer which is the only one that my DS cooperates with. I also have an ear one that I use as a second check.

https://m.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23769076

• Options
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Options
    We have this one and I've really liked it because of the different options. We've only used underarm and rectal so far but they've both been accurate when we've compared to pedi visit temps
  • Options
    I just got a new one and it has only been used twice so I cannot fully vouch for it, but it's not expensive (only $19.99) so it's worth a try if you like the concept of it:

https://www.target.com/p/kinsa-smart-stick-thermometer/-/A-50043272 

It was super easy to set up and super easy to use. I like it because you tell it whether you are doing it oral, rectal or underarm, and you also start by selecting which family member you are temping, so it knows their age, and then it keeps a history of the temps. One other silly feature I liked is that while it is taking your temp, bubbles float on the screen for kids to pop as they wait. Makes it a little easier for them to zone for a sec and keep their mouth closed. You can keep track of sickness symptoms in the app, too, if you want. If all 3 of my kids get sick at once, I am thinking this temp and symptom tracking might be really helpful to keep everyone's individual sickness straight!

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • Options
    JAGinMI said:
    I just got a new one and it has only been used twice so I cannot fully vouch for it, but it's not expensive (only $19.99) so it's worth a try if you like the concept of it:

https://www.target.com/p/kinsa-smart-stick-thermometer/-/A-50043272 

It was super easy to set up and super easy to use. I like it because you tell it whether you are doing it oral, rectal or underarm, and you also start by selecting which family member you are temping, so it knows their age, and then it keeps a history of the temps. One other silly feature I liked is that while it is taking your temp, bubbles float on the screen for kids to pop as they wait. Makes it a little easier for them to zone for a sec and keep their mouth closed. You can keep track of sickness symptoms in the app, too, if you want. If all 3 of my kids get sick at once, I am thinking this temp and symptom tracking might be really helpful to keep everyone's individual sickness straight!
    I love this! I may have to look into that when DS gets older!
  • Options
    Because the internet stalks me... ironically this showed up on Facebook today it's a promo code for a thermometer on amazon. Use SOPM4O6X and get this $29 one for $17  https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DW08AAQ/ref=ya_st_dp_summary
  • Options
    I love the Dual Mode forehead and ear thermometer by Innovo. So easy to use and offers the two measurement options which is great for LOs! Here's a link to one on Walmart.com for $32

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• Options
    @MrsCaliRN That's the same one I posted earlier in the thread... glad you like it since I registered for it solely based on the reviews on Amazon!
    ***BFP & Child Warning***

Me: 34, DH: 38 ~ TTC since 2014
    IUI #1-3 (Nov 2015, Feb 2016, May 2016) = BFNs
    IVF ER (July 2016) = 7 PGS normal embryos
    FET #1 (Sept 2016) = BFP! DD born 5/30/17
    FET #2 (April 2019) = BFN
    FET #3 (July 2019) = BFP! DS born 3/27/20
  • Options
    @MrsCaliRN That's the same one I posted earlier in the thread... glad you like it since I registered for it solely based on the reviews on Amazon!
    I totally missed it! I scrolled through looking at the pics and didn't see the one we use so I decided to add. Amazon reviews are basically fact as far as I'm concerned! We bought the Innovo purely based on reviews, too :)

Side question: do you ever do the temporal scan and take the otic reading just to see how they compare? Or am I just a weirdo? :)

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• Options
    I like the exergen temporal thermometer. I got it 3 years ago and it's still working fine. I got the temporal one instead of an in ear because you can't use in ear thermometers on babies under 6 months. Mayo Clinic thermometer guidelines for those interested. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/infant-and-toddler-health/in-depth/thermometer/art-20047410?pg=2
    DD 1- born January 22, 2014
    Due June 25 2017