March 2017 Moms

Ask a STM week of 2/20

Hurry and ask your questions before all the STMs have their babies!

Re: Ask a STM week of 2/20

• Baby car safety: What is necessary, what is useful and what is not?  (meaning sun shades, mirrors, etc)
  • @disneybaby84 the mirror for sure - I hate not being able to see the baby without it. Sunshade is helpful but not a must have in my opinion 
    Anniversary

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

MMC 8/11/15

imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with PP, the mirror is essential. I love to go all out and buy the sunshades and the cute car seat strap covers as they double as a headrest for car naps when they're little and makes me feel better about their necks craning sideways. 
  • Baby car safety: What is necessary, what is useful and what is not?  (meaning sun shades, mirrors, etc)
    I didn't bother with a window shade since pretty much all infant seats have the sun shade and that was enough to keep the sun out of baby's eyes. When my son moved to a convertible seat, we got the Maxi Cosi Pria 70 and it has head protection that also blocks the sun from the sides. You'd know what I'm talking about if you saw a picture of the car seat. Agree with everyone else about the mirror. That's a must in my book. My husband never put one in his car and I always hated driving his car since I didn't have eyes on the kid. As a tip, always keep a blanket in the car during the cooler months to keep baby warm since you don't want to put a baby in a car seat with a coat on.
  • + 1 on needing the mirror! That was an essential! My son was and still is super sensitive to the sun so the sunshade is nice...unfortunately it would not stick to my car window! If you have an SUV, Van or tinted windows, you won't need it. We usually made do with the sunshade and a thin blanket tossed over the handle and shade.
  • Definitely mirror! Didn't feel the need for sunshade... Don't bother with anything like strap covers or head rests that didn't come with the car seat. Since car seats aren't crash tested with they (car seat manufacturers) usually don't want them to be used.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
    Necessary: car seat! Eventually you will need a convertible one, so I'd say tgats the only REAL necessity. 

Really really nice to have: mirror to see baby, sunshade that stick to the window like a cling (the others never seem to fit right), an organizer to keep stuff like diapers in the car (so you never accidentally run out) 

Things that some people like but I didn't: infant car seat. Honestly you can just start in a convertible seat. I never thought lugging around a carseat was convenient, I just wore baby or put him in a pram. He didn't usually wake up if I lifted him gently, and you're not supposed to leave them sleeping in their seats anyway. I also didn't find strap covers necessary because the covers that come with convertible seats are bigger than the infant seat ones. I also did NOT like the musical mirror my in laws got me, it scared the bejeezus out of my son for some reason. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I also despised the infant seat! You think you found a lightweight one and then BAM you put a baby in it and suddenly it's 20+lb and your arm nearly snaps lugging it around. 
  • @longliveregina and @Cbeanz I'm kind of looking forward to my toned biceps again though!! 
    For this child I prayed, and the Lord has granted me my petition that I made to him.
    1 Samuel 1:27
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BabyFetus Ticker

• BurrberrymumBurrberrymum member
    edited February 2017
    Mirror was a necessity for me too. Only advice is don't get the mirrors that stick to the window, the ones that tie around the head rest of the seat are soooo much better. The hot summer heat kept making my window one fall off. 

I actually removed the strap padding that came with our convertible seat. I felt it was more snug without them and that just made me feel more comfortable. So that's not something I feel the need to purchase additionally. 

We survived without a sun shade because it just wouldn't stay on the window. Again, the hot summer heat just made it fall off, which got really annoying. 
  • For baby wearing STMs- I got a moby wrap and I also have a ergobaby 360....now I know you can't use the ergo without the infant insert until they are 4 months/12 pounds. Did you get the insert or just use the wrap until they got bigger? I also saw some youtube videos where people used a blanket rolled up inside the ergo instead of the insert to sit the baby up higher to use the ergo right away. Just want to make sure I am doing the safest but most cost effective thing!
  • I used the ergo right away. Loved it! I've heard negative things about the insert, like it was too bulky. Sometimes I'd put a blanket in there, other times I'd just wear her and kinda hold onto her in there through the sides. They should be in like a frog squat when they're still too small for their legs to come out the sides.
  • @Spartanrd4  I only used my stretchy wrap (Moby)--even once DD passed the weight limit for my other carrier, until she was big enough to hold her head up and want to look around/move around when i switched so I could put her on my back.  I think a moby type wrap is the best for them till their bigger!
  • Has everyone already gotten TDAP? I'm way behind and need to get it stat. Can they give it in the hospital while in labor? If not, where did you all go to get yours? Unfortunately my OBs office doesn't offer.
  • @Ivorytower2 - I think you could go to CVS/Walgreens pharmacy and get them from the clinics they have there.   
    ME: 34
    DH: 37
    DD: 03/17/17
    DS: 12/06/19
  • @Ivorytower2 my doc wrote a script, got the TDAP at Walgreens for free
  • Hmm...my BP has been slowly on the rise for the past two weeks but not alarming (128/70 vs 110/60)...for the first time I have some pretty significant swelling in my legs, they are very crampy. I've been guzzling water all morning.  Will continue.  Appointment tomorrow morning anyways but am slightly concerned.  I may stop on the way home at a pharmacy for a quick reading.  Is this normal?  The swelling & leg cramps are bizarre.  I otherwise feel great & have had a relatively uneventful pregnancy.  No BH or
    anyrhing else.  I'm at 37+2...so at least that is in our favor.  
  • @ivorytower2 my dr told me you have to get it before a certain number of weeks pregnant to pass the immunity onto the baby to hold them over until their first round of vaccines. Depending how far along you are you might be better off to just wait at this point? Especially if you've had it in the last 10 years already. But maybe ask the dr about it?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Spartanrd4 I had an Ergo last go round and we ended up using our K'Tan most of the time. I did take him out once or twice in the Ergo, just used a rolled up receiving blanket and he was fine. Have the Lillebaby this time and that one doesn't need an insert. Stoked!
    Alex
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • @npaulie shit really? Ughhh I will call doc. I just had it two years ago when I was pregnant with my toddler, so I just needed it for the baby.

@disneybaby84 I didn't realize it was possible to get a script. I will ask thanks.
  • @Ivorytower2 My OB said I had to get that shot before 36 weeks and I just went down to the county health department and got it

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• @datalover13 I have the Ergo 360 and insert that I used with last baby, but just bought the K'Tan breeze. Which do you like better? Which is better in the first few months?
  • @Ivorytower2 The K'Tan we bought was always a little big for me, so I stuck to our Ergo, but my husband loved the K'Tan. I think it just depends. Just the answer you're looking for lol. I think part of it comes down to what you're most comfortable in, too.
    Alex
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • @Ivorytower2 ideally you should get it between 27 and 36 weeks since it takes a few weeks for your body to form a proper immune response (which you can then pass on to baby). Depending on your state laws you may or may not need a prescription. But you should be able to go to any pharmacy or quick clinic type place (or the health department if none of those are able to) to get your shot. 
    married 10.10.14 @ Turks & Caicos
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Has everyone already gotten TDAP? I'm way behind and need to get it stat. Can they give it in the hospital while in labor? If not, where did you all go to get yours? Unfortunately my OBs office doesn't offer.
    You want to get the tdap early enough for Little one to benefit from the antibodies too, so get it now! I went to a minute clinic in a target. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hmm...my BP has been slowly on the rise for the past two weeks but not alarming (128/70 vs 110/60)...for the first time I have some pretty significant swelling in my legs, they are very crampy. I've been guzzling water all morning.  Will continue.  Appointment tomorrow morning anyways but am slightly concerned.  I may stop on the way home at a pharmacy for a quick reading.  Is this normal?  The swelling & leg cramps are bizarre.  I otherwise feel great & have had a relatively uneventful pregnancy.  No BH or
    anyrhing else.  I'm at 37+2...so at least that is in our favor.  
    BP is so stressful! First, swelling can be normal but it's always worth mentioning at your appt. Second, bp is at its lowest in the 2nd trimester and climbs back up to normal during the third. No matter what, being already term you know that whatever happens your baby can be born term and fully cooked <3
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Well it was an interesting visit @ the hospital.  My bloodwork looked great.  Urine perfect.  BP good for the many times it was taken. However not out of the woods because of the vision spots, insane weight gain (6 lbs in <1 week, 14 in 3), new heartburn, and new swelling.  Also I was having regular contractions every 15minures - they were impressed I couldn't feel them.  They pointed out what my stomach did in the midst of a contraction, and after, which was interesting.  I have a feeling babe will make her appearance by the end of next week, if not sooner.  The weight gain & fluid retention & swelling...I've had a relatively symptom free pregnancy so I just have this hunch that my body is preparing itself, or I'm In the early stages of PIH which means she's not staying put until 3/13.  I of course could be completely wrong, which would be A OK, I want my maternity leave to span as long as possible into the summer.   They called her a wild child due to all of her activity. B)  
  • Any ideas for keeping toddlers off the baby furniture? For example, bouncers and swings in the living room?

Suddenly my kids are sooo interested in these swings that will certainly crush under their weight.
  • @Cbeanz I caught my 3 year old in the little vibrating chair. It was practically bent right back touching the floor. I got really upset because I had told her time and time again that she was able to play with it with her dolls but she's just too much of a big girl to sit in it. She knew better. She hasn't done it since I lost my cool. I felt so guilty because she sees all this new stuff and it's just fun for her but other than losing my cool I got nothing. 
  • @Cbeanz Nope. No ideas. :( My DD has spent the past few weeks living in all of the newborn things. Just trying to not care because it's not a battle i currently have any energy to fight. 
  • @Cbeanz try a good beating.  ;). Just kidding, as a mandated reporter I would have to call you out for child abuse.  :)
  • So I feel a bit stupid for asking this but - how do you time your contractions if you don't really feel them?  I'm definitely having them tonight ( originally noticed Tuesday night via NST but I was unaware), but I just feel a general tightness linger and can see my belly move & then get jiggly.  Perhaps I should just not try until they are excruciating?  :D Its not the start I figured they'd be, just a sort of oh, something is sort of happening...I'm 38 weeks FWIW so we could go now or in 3 weeks...
  • @cbeanz I tell my DD it is for babies, and let her play with her baby dolls in all of the stuff. Yesterday she had her doll swinging away in the swing. As for the baby toys, thats a battle I will deal with at a later date. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Goodmorning12 I would think that if you can't really feel them, you don't need to be timing them. But if you are concerned, try doing them like a kick count. Sit with your feet up and put your hand on your belly and count them for an hour. I've been having TONS of contractions over the last week. Some are barely noticeable but some are downright painful. If I feel like I'm having a lot, I just sit with my web md pregnancy app contraction counter and make sure they aren't too regular. Usually I'll notice that they are pretty sporadic. 2min, then 20, then 8, then 3, 15, etc. It helps to ease my mind that they aren't regular or steadily getting stronger.