November 2016 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms 2.19

2»

Re: Weekly Randoms 2.19

• Options
    kvruns said:
    Sometimes I wish I hadn't started pumping tying to have a stash bc I'm out of freezer space but don't see the point in buying a separate freezer bc I don't think it would have much ROI. I plan to use the formula provided by my daycare so unless I stop nursing him I won't really work through what I have frozen anytime soon 
    We bought a freezer this time because I took up so much space with the last BM stash.
    H has offered to buy one several times but I know once I'm back in the office my pumping will be bad and I'm sure my supply will drop so I'll work through the frozen stuff quickly. I think if I had a good oversupply or felt good about pumping at work It might be better. We have a bottom drawer freezer as part of the refrigerator and while I really like it, it seems not hold as much as traditional ones 
  • Options
    I think pumping once returning to work has to be a really conscious commitment. And can often be a challenge. I was exhausted and made a lot of sacrifices to make it work last time that included pumping while driving in and out of work, arriving early to get things done so I could pump during lunch, uninterrupted, and needed to stay on the pump about 30 minutes each time. And while I did it, I didn't realize how relieved I was to be finished until I was actually finished. That might be an unnecessary overshare @kvruns
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think your experience is common @SandNStarsNJ from others I've spoke to. I laugh because when I thought about feeding I really didn't want to BF and had considered EPing. No way in hell I'd be EPing still if I'd done it. I'd always heard horror stories of friends with the baby constantly on the boob which was a turn off but having to commit to pumping all the time would be so tough too. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    I think your experience is common @SandNStarsNJ from others I've spoke to. I laugh because when I thought about feeding I really didn't want to BF and had considered EPing. No way in hell I'd be EPing still if I'd done it. I'd always heard horror stories of friends with the baby constantly on the boob which was a turn off but having to commit to pumping all the time would be so tough too. 
    I don't know how women can EP. I give them a lot of credit. I'd feel like a cow. Nursing at least has the perk of calming the baby with closeness. 
  • Options
    @SandNStarsNJ is totally right. I had to block out time (on my calendar, as well as my boss's calendars) to make sure I'm pumping a shower often as i need to. I will say that I'm getting more pumping since i returned to work, which I know is an anomaly. I think maybe because I'm hydrating better at work. At home, when I'd go to refill my water glass, the baby would cry or the dog would bark or the wash would need to be put in the dryer, and the glass stayed empty. At work, I'm 10 steps from the water cooler so I have no excuse.
  • Options
    If, like me, you're not a cook and you're still at home on leave... or if you just like shortcuts sometimes... I recommend Blake's pot pies. They come in microwaveable single portions (as well as normal sized for family dinner) and the are DELICIOUS. I literally just licked it clean, hahaha :D

I've had the turkey, chicken and shepherd's pies. All delicious.
    https://blakesallnatural.com/meals/all-natural-meals/

• Options
    Ladybug2821Ladybug2821 member
    edited February 2017
    Is anyone using only a sound monitor for their LO's in their own room?  If so, do you find that you are ok without a visual? Right now S is in our room and I want to transition her soon to her own room but don't want to spend the money on a visual monitor if it's not necessary. 

ETA: I'd like to know what others are doing for bedtime routines. Do some find it better to nurse LO right before sleep or following the eat, play, sleep method?  Maybe we can have a separate thread about our routines and what we think works best. 
  • Options
    rspalding001rspalding001 member
    edited February 2017
    @ladybug2821 I have only ever used a sound monitor for both my kids. There are times I wish I could see in the room without actually going in there but mostly I like sound only just fine. I think when I really wanted a video monitor was when DD got older and we were putting her to bed awake and I wanted to see if she had actually fallen asleep or was just being quiet. I dreaded opening the door just to rouse her and drag out the going by to sleep process if she saw me. Otherwise sound only works just fine. 

Edited to add: I still nurse to sleep. Not sure when I'll stop, probably when we transition to bottles at some point. 
  • Options
    @Ladybug2821 video is nice to peek in before I go to bed and stuff but really i can tell from audio if he's having a fit - I don't need to watch it haha. My H would watch him try to fall asleep and then get mad about it and I'm like dude don't watch then!
  • Options
    B is on day 4 of not pooping - the longest he's ever gone before is 2 days. I've tried bicycling his legs, knees to chest, rubbing his belly etc but nothing.  My pediatrician app says apple juice but that seems strange giving a 3 month old juice already so I don't want to do that really. I have visions of this finally ummm unloading when I'm on the plane with him Monday so I'd love it to be fixed asap
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    B is on day 4 of not pooping - the longest he's ever gone before is 2 days. I've tried bicycling his legs, knees to chest, rubbing his belly etc but nothing.  My pediatrician app says apple juice but that seems strange giving a 3 month old juice already so I don't want to do that really. I have visions of this finally ummm unloading when I'm on the plane with him Monday so I'd love it to be fixed asap
    This is us every week. Pediatrician said if he's taking bottles, add some water. If you're nursing, drink vitamin C or prune juice. Prince had a pretty successful 2 day turn around. And if he's really uncomfortable use a children's liquid suppository. Good luck!
  • Options
    @ladybug2821 - The video is great for our two year old because she's in an actual bed and has a bedtime, etc... the audio is just fine for our LO so much so that I leave the visual off for him. He's in a crib so there's only so much he can do. 

I nurse to sleep until they no longer nurse. It does the trick and I take advantage of it. 

And by by all means make a thread! As long as one doesn't already exist we're good with anyone making one. 
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    This is us every week. Pediatrician said if he's taking bottles, add some water. If you're nursing, drink vitamin C or prune juice. Prince had a pretty successful 2 day turn around. And if he's really uncomfortable use a children's liquid suppository. Good luck!
    I'll try Vitamin C thanks. I did notice his belly felt a little hard today so hopefully it will work out soon. 
  • Options
    I got choked up reading this. Definitely helps keep things in perspective. 

"Someday, one night will be the last night you'll ever rock him at 3 a.m. and you won't know it's the last night until it's gone."

https://community.today.com/parentingteam/post/the-3-am-struggle-is-real-1426270182?cid=sm_fbn_pt
  • Options
    I got choked up reading this. Definitely helps keep things in perspective. 

"Someday, one night will be the last night you'll ever rock him at 3 a.m. and you won't know it's the last night until it's gone."

https://community.today.com/parentingteam/post/the-3-am-struggle-is-real-1426270182?cid=sm_fbn_pt
    cue the waterworks. This is so true and a conversation I have with myself when he's having crying fits or won't calm down. 
  • Options
    Please tell me I'm not a bad mom that I'm essentially letting LO one watch tv right now. He's talking and squirming and giggling to it and I just want to eat breakfast. 
  • Options
    Please tell me I'm not a bad mom that I'm essentially letting LO one watch tv right now. He's talking and squirming and giggling to it and I just want to eat breakfast. 
    I'm guilty of doing this. When he gets really worked up sometimes the only thing that will calm him down is Mickey Mouse. I swore I wouldn't be that type of mom but listening to him scream is just not worth holding my ground over. 
  • Options
    I'm guilty of doing this. When he gets really worked up sometimes the only thing that will calm him down is Mickey Mouse. I swore I wouldn't be that type of mom but listening to him scream is just not worth holding my ground over. 
    It's not children stuff. We're watching the Today show right now while I collect myself. I keep telling myself it's just images right now but he seems to be so aware of everything. Ugh. No matter. We have a walk next on our agenda!
  • Options
    ha mine watches every day. His play mat is kind of below the TV (but out probably 5-6 feet) and he likes to crane his head back to watch. I figure whatever, how is it different from the lights/music on his play mat? Mine also watches the Today show because it's on a lot, or HGTV 
  • Options
    Ditto on the tv. He is basically on the boob or napping in my lap half the day so I choose not to sit down bored. I watch tv. Even when we're playing it's on in the background. 
    And I watch whatever I want. He doesn't have the understanding yet so I don't really care. He really likes hockey! 
  • Options
    Thanks for making me feel less awful, ladies. We are having an amazing weather day - an hour walk later and I feel like way less of an inattentive mom, but still very unproductive. 
  • Options
    How is it I come back from the dr with more questions than I went with?  S still BFs every 2 hrs which I had a feeling was excessive since she's 4 months. Dr said she should be eating every 4. That's seems a little long. I want thinking every 3. Has anyone had success breaking the habit and extending feedings?  Also she suggesting giving her oatmeal with her milk once a day and starting to give her food. Isn't it a little early for that?
  • Options
    How is it I come back from the dr with more questions than I went with?  S still BFs every 2 hrs which I had a feeling was excessive since she's 4 months. Dr said she should be eating every 4. That's seems a little long. I want thinking every 3. Has anyone had success breaking the habit and extending feedings?  Also she suggesting giving her oatmeal with her milk once a day and starting to give her food. Isn't it a little early for that?
    If you're not doing baby lead weaning and your daughter has good head control, 4 months is the usual age to start solids. It will also help her go longer between feedings since she'll be fulller for longer.
  • Options
    I feed more often as well. Probably every 2. Sometimes less. But usually quick little feeds... I didn't realize it was a problem. He goes about 8-10 hours at night without eating so I didn't see the issue during the day. Ugh 
  • Options
    Hooray @leighry! I know the feeling. My mom thinks I'm crazy when I text her celebrated toilet poops. Go you!

@ladybug2821 I think it's all a matter of your preferences at this point because every doctor says something different. I can tell you we functioned on baby led weaning with our first and it worked well. With this one I have been starting to delay feeds because he definitely overeats and it's working for the most part. Try stretching one feed for a few days and see if you end up dropping one all together. Or distract LO when there should be a feeding with play and see if she is then ravenous or no worse for wear. As far as solids, we introduced a spoonful of mashed banana when DD was 4.5 mo and it was just her finding a flavor and a new way to use her tongue. It was nothing significant for another month or so. We also always offered it after BM. I hope this can help. 
  • Options
    B finally pooped! Didn't have to try juice or anything drastic. Of course it happened during therapy but I didn't realize how bad it was til we got home. The onesie was a hand me down so I pitched it instead of trying to wash it (it wasn't that bad just around the leg holes)
  • Options
    @kvruns yay! It's amazing how excited we get over poop. LO went 3 times today, it's so exciting since she was going once every 4-5 until we figured out the right formula.

@leighry that's awesome! I am not looking forward to the potty training stage.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Options
    kristah2 said:
    I feed more often as well. Probably every 2. Sometimes less. But usually quick little feeds... I didn't realize it was a problem. He goes about 8-10 hours at night without eating so I didn't see the issue during the day. Ugh 
    If he goes that long at night and you don't mind feeding that often then I wouldn't change anything honestly. S has reflux and has been spitting up a lot so she has been over feeding by doing it every 2 hours. 
  • Options
    Why does my LO nap great when it's just me and him but when my H is around he naps like crap. Of course it stresses me out since H gets pissy with the crying. Where are the 2 hour naps he gave me all week??
  • Options
    Just a vent: After a mere 2 hours alone with LO, DH needs a little time and space to himself. And he didn't even have our other kid with him. Where's my time and space?
  • Options
    kvruns said:
    Why does my LO nap great when it's just me and him but when my H is around he naps like crap. Of course it stresses me out since H gets pissy with the crying. Where are the 2 hour naps he gave me all week??
    I have the same exact situation, same with bed time. I'm not sure what it is. 
  • Options
    Just a vent: After a mere 2 hours alone with LO, DH needs a little time and space to himself. And he didn't even have our other kid with him. Where's my time and space?
    This^^

When H and I take S to the Dr together, he normally picks her up and does what the Dr asks. He's just always done it. Yesterday he had the nerve to ask why does he have to do everything. Really???  i couldn't believe he said it. 
  • Options
    Preach it sista!!  What did you say to him?

• Options
    In some good random news. H bought a bunch of 7th Gen diapers on woot.com before baby was born. The newborns ran big and were more like a transition between NB and 1. So I waited to open the size 1s thinking they would also be big. But they're smaller than Pampers and the tabs suck. So I sent an email to 7th Gen and they responded right away and just sent me 4 packages of diapers in size 2 and 3. Wow. I didn't ask for replacements or anything just was expressing my frustration. 
  • Options
    @kvruns Honestly I just quietly roll my eyes and continue with the kids. I know he can't handle them with the same patience I do and needs to find something that works soon because I go back to work at the end of March. His grace period is quickly coming to a close and he knows it. 
  • Options
    I also second "where's my time and space?" My husband works swing shifts and so I always try to let him sleep or take a nap while I keep the kids quiet or take them both on an errand so that it's super quiet. However, when I want a nap the kids aren't quiet or H leaves and takes our oldest to a park, but leaves the baby. Why can't I get a few solid good hours without anyone around? 
  • Options
    Husbands are just inferior. I wish there were upgrades we could program in.

My husband will still ask me "what should I give the girls for breakfast/lunch/dinner?" And I sit there and say "any of the stuff they've eaten in the past 3-4 years is fine." Use your brain.