September 2017 Moms
Options

Ketones

Hi ladies..

I was wondering if anyone has any experience in this pregnancy or past ones with ketones in urine? I just checked my first trimester lab results online and fortunately all was well (and they took like 12 viles of blood lol)  but i saw that my ketones were really high..at a 5. im assuming this is bc of dehydration and naseau and that they are going to call me or i will call them. My A1Cs were good and my BP is good. Has this happened to anyone? I was concerned about my vomiting and hydration but was told by my OB nurse as long as i can pee several times a day and keep some fluids down i should be fine..but now im second guessing! So ready for 2nd trimester!!
DS 8/13/15 
Blessed  <3o:)

Re: Ketones

• Options
    Definitely recommend talking to your doctor about it. I am of course not a doctor, but Ketones in urine can be protein or sugar in the urine. Those could be indications of Preeclampsia or Gestational Diabetes. Now that is not said to make you worry. There are other symptoms that go with that and it doesn't sound like you have them. The throwing up you mentioned can also be a good indication of why your levels are high. Again, don't stress yourself, talk to your doctor. Plusalso, if the doctor released the lab results on line and hasn't called you, they probably aren't too concerned. FX crossed its nothing and that you feel better soon.

• Options
    I just had an appointment today and they told me I had low levels in mine too. The doctor didn't seem concerned. She said it's because of dehydration and not eating as much as I should be due to nausea. She said to just try to drink as much water as I can handle. Good luck! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am a pediatrician and we see ketones in the urine of kids with dehydration every day. As long as your blood sugar is normal, it's not a sign of diabetic ketoacidosis. Drink more water and don't worry about it!
  • Options
    Drink lots and lots of water and try to eat more carbs if safe for you :) 

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I spoke with the nurse she basically said what you all did. That its just a sign im not getting enough fluids due to first trimester sickness and that its nothing to worry about and to try and drink as much as i can.
    DS 8/13/15 
    Blessed  <3o:)