September 2017 Moms

Maternity Leave

Good afternoon ladies!

So let's talk about maternity leave. Does your current job offer paid maternity leave? How long do you plan to take leave for if at all? Will you qualify for FMLA or something similar for non-USA residents? If you are having to go unpaid, is there anything you plan to do to either prepare your budget or supplement your income during (or something you may have previously done for our STMs)?

Re: Maternity Leave

• Hahahahahahaha at paid maternity leave. Isn't the US great? I do get Short term disability for 6 weeks and fmla (unpaid leave) for 12 weeks. I will be taking the full 12 weeks. 6 of that will be unpaid I don't plan on doing anything special just working as much overtime as I can prior to it. 
  • I'm in NJ so we have one of the better maternity leave options in the US. I get 4 weeks disability (60% of my salary I believe) prior, 6 weeks disability after for vaginal or 8 weeks for csection. Then I'll qualify for 6 weeks FMLA paid at the same rate as disability. So I can get at least 16-18 weeks paid. At work I also have a short term disability policy and an Aflac policy, both will help with my cut in pay. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I just started a new job in December, so I won't qualify for FMLA or short term disability as I understand it right now. I am worried about telling my boss, since I don't think I will be guaranteed my position coming back. Here's to hoping that my male run office is nice about it. I would like to take 12 weeks, but whether it ends up 6 or 12 I am saving as much as possible between now and then. 
  • I work for a CPA so no maternity leave for me or STD but I do get 6 weeks STD through Aflac which is just a small percent of what I actually get paid but hey it is something.  I plan on being off from September 1st-January 2nd.  Our tax refund went straight to savings to help make up the difference since I will not be receiving pay.
  • I'm actually just about to apply for FMLA, and was wondering if a thread like this would pop up. At my job we get 12 weeks of unpaid leave, but we can use sick time and personal days. By the time my EDD comes around, I should have about 4 weeks of accrued sick time. I could also use my 3 personal days to add to that time.

Since my husband works at the same company as me, they offer him paternity leave (completely unpaid), but it would come out of my 12 weeks. So if he takes off 1 week, I would only get 11. I haven't completely decided how much time I'm going to take/how much time we can afford. I'll probably do the 4 week sick time and 4 week unpaid so that I only lose one paycheck. 

Our work does offer free childcare to couples who are both employed by the company, so there's a plus!

We just bought a house which depleted our savings, but I'm hoping by September to add back to that so we have a little bit of a cushion to fall back on. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't know how you USA moms do it! I'm in Canada and took the full year with my first. We get topped up to 55% of our pay up to a certain maximum through Employment Insurance. My firm at the time didn't top up but it was definitely liveable! This time I'll probably take 9 months and my husband will take 3. My new firm tops up to 100% for 15 weeks and his job tops up to 75% for 12 weeks so we'll be good!

I have to say that only 6 weeks off benefits nobody. Here, employers can hire someone on contract to cover a mat leave. Coworkers don't have to pick up any slack and new parents can stay home. Plus someone else can get a job for that time. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I probably won't have my job by then. Because I just started the job mad they have this strict you can't miss 6 days or your fired and I've already missed 2 weeks due to having seizures. So I'm sure I'll end up getting fired..  but they do have 6 weeks paid maternity leave for c sections and 4 weeks for vaginal birth. 
  • I'm fortunate to work in an industry where competitive pressure has led to some pretty good (for the US) parental leave. I'll get four months paid at full salary and two months unpaid, and I'm planning to take it all. Not sure if I can use vacation time to turn a few weeks of the unpaid leave into paid leave... need to look into that once I tell work. I may save up vacation anyway so I could come back for a few shorter 3- or 4-day weeks before transitioning back to full-time. I am also considering asking to be able to work one day a week from home after baby comes (I'd have full-time child care obviously). 

@Becky012016 that is a mindblowing fact and just highlights how absurdly, laughably (if it weren't tragic) horrible the situation around family leave is in this country. 
  • Lol no paid maternity leave here. 

I get fmla for 12 weeks. And I have to use up all my sick and vacation time until I can use leave without pay. So a couple weeks will be paid. I'm just trying to save at least 200 a paycheck til baby comes to get me through those 12 weeks 
  • My job only offers 6 weeks for vaginal delivery or 8 weeks for C-section. It is paid at 100% though, so that's helpful. I have supplemental insurance through my job as well that provides 12 weeks at my base salary as long as it is taken within 12 months of delivery. I plan to take the maximum allowed for either 18 or 20 weeks depending on delivery method.

I would really love to be able to quit my job and be a STAHM. I'm hoping that once we get a few bills paid off, that dream will become more feasible. DH wants us to homeschool. So between that and running our little farm we just purchased, I will definitely have my hands full without working full-time. Luckily for us, I will only have to find childcare for our LO for 1-2 days a week thanks to DH's firehouse shift schedule.
  • I work as an independent contractor, from home (used to work in the office but once I moved, I switched to IC but get to have my own hours). Therefore, I will not have any maternity leave. I predict I will be logging in hours about 3 days after having the baby :/ granted I could do an hour of work here or there when the baby is sleeping, especially since that's all they do in the beginning. But I predict this Mama will need naps in between! I'll be shuttling my oldest to Kindergarten then and my younger one to half day preschool so I will be non stop from day 3. Le sigh.
  • @JNR6510 @ashley2824 @kelseyrayay I've heard of a lot of jobs that differentiate leave for vaginal/c-sections (is it written into short term disability policies?). Of course I understand there are actual physical differences between the recovery processes for the two types of birth, but I've always thought that creates kind of a bizarre incentive. 
  • zetega said:
    @JNR6510 @ashley2824 @kelseyrayay I've heard of a lot of jobs that differentiate leave for vaginal/c-sections (is it written into short term disability policies?). Of course I understand there are actual physical differences between the recovery processes for the two types of birth, but I've always thought that creates kind of a bizarre incentive. 
    It really is quite ridiculous. A lady in my department just had knee surgery, and she gets disability leave for 12 weeks at full pay. It makes absolutely no sense how they differentiate what disability reason is worth more paid leave time.
  • I get paid 6 weeks of my salary and can take 12 weeks off because of FMLA (well actually more because holidays/vacation days off don't count toward it. I'm a teacher so will have Thanksgiving break and Christmas break during my maternity leave). I also have paid for short term disability so I will get paid 60% of my salary for 6 weeks. 

DD #1 5.4.14  
    EDD #2 5.4.17

• @Msashley2010

My situation exactly, no paid leave. With my first baby I took 7 weeks without pay, I work part time so it wasn't too bad going back so early but still a hard transition. I was still getting up with DD several times a night and continued to breastfeed for the while first year. It's doable but not ideal. I would love to be in Canada and get a full year off! It just makes since especially with breastfeeding!
  • @zetega I was under the impression that the difference stems from some legal definition, maybe under FMLA? HR told me that FMLA only guaranteed 6 weeks for vag, 8 weeks for c-section and that if I wanted more time, up to 12 weeks, I would need a doctor's not explaining the reason. My provider didn't bat an eye when I requested a note and she pulled out a form letter that she had already slipped in my chart saying I needed to establish a breast feeding relationship with baby so I wasn't allowed back to work until 12 weeks. That makes me think this is pretty common.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • @Lizlann that makes sense. Also, it sounds like you have an awesome doctor!
  • FMLA only. I do get to use any paid time off I have accrued (sick, vacation, and personal). I currently have about 7 weeks saved up and I get a new week of personal days in August. Hoping to have 8 or 9 weeks paid leave when September rolls around, but we'll see how much time I have to use for appointments, etc. I have worked hard not to use my time just in case.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me 34 DH 34 
    PCOS

DS1 born September 2017
    Baby number 2 due 4/11/20
  • First 6 weeks are paid, I get 12 weeks per FMLA, so the last 6 weeks I have sick time to use to pay for that time.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • zetega said:
    @JNR6510 @ashley2824 @kelseyrayay I've heard of a lot of jobs that differentiate leave for vaginal/c-sections (is it written into short term disability policies?). Of course I understand there are actual physical differences between the recovery processes for the two types of birth, but I've always thought that creates kind of a bizarre incentive. 
    Mine has nothing to do with my job actually. It's NJ disability guidelines, I guess you would call it. You have to get your dr to fill out paper work and all. 
  • I'm in an interesting position. My agent is shopping around a few of my manuscripts, and and if something moves on those, I have to be ready to act, unless I'm physically in labor. I'm hopeful that one way or another I'll be in a place where I don't have to do much come fall. My other main project is run and staffed almost exclusively by women, and though it won't pay if I don't produce, I know I'll still have a place there if I don't work for 6 months, which is nice at least. 

• FMLA requires employers to give you 12 weeks off, but it doesn't require them to pay you for any of it. I'm not sure, but I think the vaginal/c-section distinction is not part of FMLA, but tied to employer's policies or disability insurance policies.
    I plan to do 12 weeks and will be able to get paid for some of it because of vacation time and sick time. I know I won't have enough for the whole 12 weeks. Anticipating this would be coming, my husband and I started putting some money aside before I got pregnant with the goal of having at least 3 months of my half of the mortgage payment saved up. Since that's our biggest monthly expense, we figured that would take some of the stress off of me not getting paid for part of the time.
  • I just started this job recently so as far as I know I won't qualify for FMLA, short term disability, etc. My job does offer up to 8 weeks unpaid leave of absence though, which I plan to take the full 8. As far as finances, I'm just going to try and save as much as I can prior to taking my leave. We're already working the loss of income into our budget to plan, so assuming nothing changes, it shouldn't be too bad. Thankfully I'm not the main source of income so 8 weeks without my wages isn't as game changing as it would be with DH. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I'm a waitress/head trainer, so unpaid all the way here. :neutral:
    I do get 12 weeks (per Missouri law) off that they have to hold my job for. 
    But, I have been looking into stay at home jobs that way I won't have to leave little one. I really want to be able to raise my baby and I don't quite see how pumping during a lunch or dinner rush is going to work out. I have found quite a few that will pay me decent considering I won't have to spend any money in gas for a commute anymore, and it will be more stable income. My main concern is it sounds like they're grooming me for a management position, but that would require 60 to 70 hours a week mostly nights and weekends. But, it's also a pay increase with benefits. My SO works Monday through Friday days, so that would give us no time to be a family together and that's really important to me. Uh! So many decisions to make in less than 7 months!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I need to talk with my HR person.  I'm finding this confusing.  Our policy says we get 6 weeks of short term disability (thats like %60 of salary, ya?).  And then 20 days paid by company, which are put towards FMLA, which maxes at 12 (but I'm thinking disability is part of that 12?).  I'm in California, so part of FMLA is paid by the state also, maybe %50.  So i THINK we get 12 total.  But a good chunk is partially paid.  

Jealous of you Canadian momma's.  Your countries public policies are dreamy. 
    Image result for dreamy gif
    *TW* 
    Me: 35 | DH: 38
    Met: 2007
    Married: 2013

BFP #1: 06/21/16                MMC: 08/04/16
    BFP #2: 01/08/17             DD: 09/23/17 <3
    BFP #3: 06/10/20             EDD: 02/11/2021

• I will get 16 weeks off. 6 weeks with STD at 60% paid, then the other 10 weeks unpaid under FMLA. I have decided to not use any PTO time so I can have it when I come back. I did that with DS and I liked being able to have that time to take off if needed.
    One thing I didn't know with DS is that they didn't take any taxes out of my STD, so paying taxes the following year was quite shocking when all of a sudden we owed thousands. Lesson learned. I'm not sure what we'll do this time about that. 
  • I have no idea, lol. 

I have short term disability... some teachers don't have that and use their sick days, so what if I have both? 

I have no idea. Most teachers take 6 weeks one way or another. I clearly need to ask someone. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm in Canada. 

I get a full year paid. My work tops me up for the first six weeks as well. 

You American ladies are true superwomen going back to work at 6 weeks. I couldn't imagine going back to work in that state of sleep deprivation, breastfeeding craziness, vagina still healing. 
  • @JNR6510 good lord you have my dream life. I want a farm so bad. Been trying for years and I would love to homeschool. Where did you get your land??
  • I'm a teacher... so 12 weeks is literally a third of my job time with students... I just can't take that kind of time off. :( I took 6 weeks with my last baby, but she was a spring baby and I only went back for a couple weeks before summer break hit. That was really nice. I'm hoping I won't deliver before the school year even starts this time! I have STD that will pay 70% of my paycheck after 30 days out, and I will have 3 weeks worth of personal days saved up. I would like to take 8 weeks, but haven't gotten that far in conversations with my administration or HR yet. My husband is also a teacher and he's planning on picking up a summer job to get money in savings to cover the cut in my pay and the week I'll have unpaid before STD kicks in. We're very fortunate that our daycare doesn't charge teacher kids over the summer break, but still holds our spot- that will help with saving up money and buying baby things this summer. 
    <><><><><>DD1- May 2011<><><><><>
    <><><><><>Angel Baby- June 2012<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DD2- March 2013<><><><><>
    <><><><><>DS1- ETA September 2017<><><><><>
  • My company is only 30 people so no FMLA. They offer 6 weeks unpaid but I have short term disability so I will get some money for 6 weeks.  I plan on taking 10 to 12 weeks off though.  They technically don't have to hold my job but I think they don't want to lose me or replace me so I'm willing to risk it.   In the event I'm too cocky and they find me to be easily replaceable,  I'll get another job. 

Me: 31    DH: 36

Married since 11/25/2013

#1 (bio)  born 01/18/2006

#2 (bio)   born 09/08/2008

#3 (step) born 02/17/2009

#4 (our 1st together)  EDD 09/09/2017

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm in NJ so we have one of the better maternity leave options in the US. I get 4 weeks disability (60% of my salary I believe) prior, 6 weeks disability after for vaginal or 8 weeks for csection. Then I'll qualify for 6 weeks FMLA paid at the same rate as disability. So I can get at least 16-18 weeks paid. At work I also have a short term disability policy and an Aflac policy, both will help with my cut in pay. 
    This was similar to my deal in CA for my DD. I did 4 before (well 2 because I ended up being induced early) plus the 6 plus 6 and then I used a couple vacation weeks. 
    Mom a SAHM now so no leave for moi.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

**TW**
    Losses:
     #1: 8wks MMC 4/16
    #2: 13+4 T21 + Hydrops 3/17
  • edited February 2017
    I do qualify for FMLA- but it is unpaid- Unless I use my sick and vacation time- so I am using it mostly for my prenatal appointments (I'm high risk so I have some extra appointments and this protects my job for them)

i get 2 weeks STD I think pays at 70% of my salary and then 2 months paid maternity leave at full salary - whatever FMLA I don't use for prenatal appointments can be used for additional time off when the baby is born but since it's unpaid I can't afford to do that
    Me: 36 years old   DH: 42 years old
    Married: 05.2012  
    TW:
    TTC #1 Since April 2016
    HSG/FSH/AMH/E2/SA all normal DX: unexplained IF

spontaneous BFP 01/01/2017-  Alexander was born sleeping 04/13/2017 at 19w1d  ic/chorio
    September 2017 HSG #2 & Gonal-F/Femara/Ovidrel/IUI #1 = ep (Salpingectomy of left fallopian tube)
    spontaneous BFP 01/02/2018  EDD Aug 30th  It's a GIRL!
    Cerclage placed on 03/02BabyFruit Ticker  Cerclage removal 08/02
  • Currently hating America, and our awful parental leave. I know I'm more fortunate that some on here, but it's still pretty crappy.
    Days 1-8 of my leave come from sick days. We have 8 per year, so if I only have 6 left, two of those days will be unpaid. I haven't used any yet, and I plan to hoard them, but anything could happen.
    Days 9-30 are fully paid.
    Days 31 to either the 6 week or 8 week mark (depending on vaginal/c-section/dr recommendations) pay drops to 66%.
    After that, anything I take is unpaid, up to 12 weeks.

I'd love to take the full 12 weeks, but I just don't know if we'll be able to swing it. DH and I work at the same place, but I make a lot more than him. We are trying to save as much as possible, but we'll have to see. 
    The cost of childcare is also stressing us out. We simply can't afford $600 a month. If I wasn't paying more than $500 a month for student loans, it would be much easier to justify. I work 2am-11am, and DH works 2:30pm-11:30pm, so technically, there would always be someone home with LO, but I don't know when I would sleep. 

I know we'll make everything work, but there's a lot to consider. 
    Me: 33 DH: 33
    Married: 10.15.16
    BFP: 12.24.16
    DS BD: 8.20.17
    TTC #2 1.1.19
    BFP #2 7.3.19
    EDD #2 3.13.20
  • I don't really know what my company gives, but I'm taking whatever time off I need.  We have STD which is the same as most PPs - 6 weeks vaginal and 8 weeks csection, at like 67% of your pay.  A big fat joke if you ask me.  I'll take whatever of that I can, but I'll be out of the office with my baby for at least 4 months.  I might stagger my time back like I did with DS, and go part-time for another couple months.  We'll be hiring a nanny again, so it will really depend on how comfortable I am leaving my baby.  I can also work from home if I want, so that will help my transition.  I was ready to be back full-time by 6 months with DS.  I will do what works for me and this baby!
  • @MrsVP614 wow on the daycare! There isn't a place near me that is less than $1100 per month for an infant,  and that's the minimum.  

Me: 31    DH: 36

Married since 11/25/2013

#1 (bio)  born 01/18/2006

#2 (bio)   born 09/08/2008

#3 (step) born 02/17/2009

#4 (our 1st together)  EDD 09/09/2017

Pregnancy Ticker

• Same as many, my work offers 12 weeks unpaid FMLA. I am required to use my PTO, Comp Time, and/or sick days during that time, so I'll be paid for part depending on how much I have left be Sept. Last time, I took the full 12, ended up being paid for about half-ish of it.

I have a dream of being a SAHM, so we've been trying to live off just DH's salary and use mine in the meantime for paying off our car and building up our savings. The real rub is that DH just got a 10% salary cut and at the start of our new fiscal year in July, I'll get a 10% salary increase plus my job pays our health insurance. So I won't be able to stay home until DH finds a new job. :(