October 2017 Moms

Wine party..to go or not?

Many of  female cousins are getting together for a wine night. I haven't seen many in some time and would to attend. It's still to early to let anyone outside my immediate family know. Besides saying no to every wine which will be a dead giveaway, any ways to kinda avoid being detected. lol. I was thinking about taking grape juice to keep in my cup. Any suggestions would get greatly appreciate.  

Answers

• Honestly unless you're ok with people finding out I'd just skip, unless it's not weird for to pass on wine (it is for me haha:)) You could try an excuse like you're on antibiotics or have a headache but I know my friends would suspect.  I'm in the same dilemma,  have a dinner party tomorrow night and trying to figure out how to hide it...I have a good feeling they will know!
  • I just saw non-alcoholic chardonnay in my other mom's group, they said it was really good.

Me, I would totally end up giving it away by staring longingly at all the wine. 

• Loading the player...
  • Hmm...  I would skip it if it were me. Tell them something came up. Or tell them you're KU, but it doesn't sound like that's what you want to do. You can try the wine-substitute.. but that's still risky.

I hid it from my mom last week (went to dinner at her house Sat night and she offered me wine) by saying I drank too much the night before and didn't want to drink more that night. I have a game night with friends coming up this weekend and I'm pretty sure I'll get the side-eye for not drinking. I'm planning on telling them I'm cutting back to see if it helps with TTC (haha). BUT, since your get-together is specifically TO drink wine- I don't see how you can fudge it.

Me: 36 / DH: 37
    Met: 9/21/08
    Married: 10/5/13
    BFP #1- 2/5/17 * EDD- 10/18/17 * DD born- 10/25/17
    BFP #2 3/18/19 * EDD 11/25/19* DS born 11/30/19
  • I wouldn't go since the sole purpose is to drink. That doesn't seem like it would be much fun for you, and it not drinking in this scenario would draw more attention to you. 
  • you can totally go and enjoy yourself without drinking. If anyone makes it a big deal that you're not drinking just say you're trying to diet, or you drank too much the night before. quite honestly i was isolating myself the first couple of weeks b/c i didn't want ppl to know. It ended up being so silly that i would deprive myself social time b/c i was afraid everyone would find out. No on has yet to say anything, and if they suspect ppl usually keep it to themselves. 
    \

• I had quite a few social events-- i used the whole New Years resolution thing. Got a few weird looks but the lay eventually dropped it! 
  • I would just get A glass of wine and take tiny sips. I know you're not supposed to drink but I had a odd glass of wine here and there throughout my first pregnancy. 
  • I wish I had an answer for you. I have a similar situation coming up. A friend is having a sip and paint party for her birthday and reservations are already tallied and paid for. Haven't yet decide how to play it out myself. I think I was originally leaning towards @operaghost's suggestion but I'm afraid that I would forget and not be a 'sipper'. Perhaps faking coming down with something and the alcohol makes it worse? or food poisoning from the day before that your stomach is still sensitive from? Good luck!
    Me: 41 / Fiance: 35 +  One DS, one dog & two kitties...
    First BFP: 1/17/16 = EDD 9/21/16 (MMC)
    Second BFP: 6/24/16 (CP)
    Third BFP: 2/7/17 = EDD 10/20/17 🌈 *** BORN 10/23 *** 🌈
    Fourth BFP : 2/5/19 = EDD 10/14/19
         BabyGaga
  • edited February 2017
    Can you confide in 1 person who can help you out?  You could put two wine glasses between you guys and she can sip from both of yours if line them up vertically.  Occasionally hold it.
    TTC x 1.5 years.
    Acupuncture, Femera x3 cyles, and HSG.
    BFP in September 2014, DS born June 2015.
    TTC x2 months.
    BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know this is a wine thing, but I've put water in an empty beer bottle before and no one was the wiser
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Man that's tough. Personally I would avoid it (I hate that awkwardness of being put on the spot) but I like @ForwardnBackward 's idea if you can trust one person (also difficult I realize!) to help you out!

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I wouldn't go, personally. If it was a party with drinking is one thing. But this is literally a party TO drink. I would make an excuse not to go. 
  • I am actually having a skincare party tonight at my house and was wondering how to handle this as well.  I am not ready for everyone to know and me not drinking would raise an immediate red flag.  My plan is to just carry around a glass of wine all night.  Occasionally dump a little out in the bathroom.  
  • You could tell your friends you are on antibiotics and can't drink but didn't want to miss seeing them. Ask for grape juice instead and just have fun with them. If anyone is like are you pregnant, just laugh it off and say, did you all start drinking already... The alternative is turn up and say you can't stay for long, go get your grape juice when others aren't there or use the same antibiotics story if someone sees you ordering a none alcoholic drink
  • If you really want to go, then say you're on meds & can't drink or you're trying to conceive and your doctor says absolutely no alcohol. The latter was 100% true for me and it still works well with getting out of drinking with coworkers who know I usually drink something at happy hour or workplace beer bashes.
    Pregnancy Ticker