October 2017 Moms

Blood work after bfp?

Did everyone get the blood work done after bfp or did you just wait for 8 week ultrasound? I never did with my first (didn't know I was supposed to). I asked about it on another board and people started jumping down my throat and freaking out that I didn't go...  I had no idea, but am wondering if I should?

Re: Blood work after bfp?

• With my first, I had bloodwork. But that was done by my family doctor before she would refer me to an OBGYN. With my second pregnancy, I didn't get any done. Not saying this correlated but I ended up up having a MMC. So now with this pregnancy my OB got me to do early bloodwork because of my loss. 

I don't think it's necessary. But it also definitely doesn't hurt to do it! I had asked if I should when I called about my second pregnancy and the receptionist said they'd just do it at my first appointment. 
  • @baker1jm2- Have you made your 1st prenatal appointment with your OB? My 1st appointment was scheduled for early March and they asked if I wanted to have my viability/dating ultrasound the same day. I will be 6W6D when I go. Pretty sure they will do blood work at the first appointment. Or are you talking about a blood beta to confirm pregnancy? In that case... unless you've had a loss (or threatened loss) or IF, I don't think it's the norm to get that done.

As long as you're following what's recommended by your OB/Midwife group... I wouldn't worry too hard about it.

Me: 36 / DH: 37
    Met: 9/21/08
    Married: 10/5/13
    BFP #1- 2/5/17 * EDD- 10/18/17 * DD born- 10/25/17
    BFP #2 3/18/19 * EDD 11/25/19* DS born 11/30/19
  • Loading the player...
  • I was talking about blood work to confirm before 8 week apt. With my first pregnancy they just did blood work at the 8 week....these ladies were saying it's crucial to go before so was just curious on others experience 
  • When I called my doctor (who is actually a PA) they went told me to go ahead and schedule with an OBGYN. They won't see me until I'm 8 weeks and I know they'll draw blood there but not to confirm the pregnancy. 

Did the other ladies say why it was crucial?
    Me: 29  DH: 32                                                                                          
    Married 9/27/2014
    TTC Since 1/1/2017
    BFP: 2/6/2017
    Due Date: 10/13/17
    pangur_ban_by_sequana-d31ja7y
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @baker1jm2 Some doctor's won't even see you until 8 weeks to confirm. I'm sorry people jumped down your throat. That seems extremely unnecessary. Just ask your doctor what they think you should do. I had blood work done, but only because my scan was dating earlier than we thought. I just peed in a cup to confirm i was pregnant lol
    \

• They said to make sure hcg was doubling....last time my Dr just told me to take another pregnancy test if I was feeling unsure,  they are really accurate these days.  Well thanks ladies at least I'm not crazy haha.  I'll probably just wait until my 8 week again. It's just really early,  I got a bfp yesterday at only 4 weeks!!
  • Just another vote for it not being necessary.  My doctor doesn't have you come in for bloodwork for hcg unless you've had a loss or have some other issue.  

**TW** Even then, with my first pregnancy after my loss, they only had me come in for to test my hcg levels once.  Since those numbers were strong, they said they didn't need to see if they were doubling (because they wouldn't have gotten to where they were if they weren't doubling at that point).  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • @baker1jm2- agreeing with PP... don't pay any mind to those women. It sounds like right now you're having a normal pregnancy and if the Dr doesn't request it, then you are fine. I was taking HPTs every couple of days to observe the lines getting darker. If you are worried, you can try that. Other than that, just keep on keeping on.

Me: 36 / DH: 37
    Met: 9/21/08
    Married: 10/5/13
    BFP #1- 2/5/17 * EDD- 10/18/17 * DD born- 10/25/17
    BFP #2 3/18/19 * EDD 11/25/19* DS born 11/30/19
  • @crazypuglady that's what I'm planning to do,  already a little darker today :smiley:
  • My OB has me scheduled for bloodwork next Friday (I'll be 8 weeks then). I asked if I should do it earlier, since I have hypothyroidism and they said it would be fine to wait. They won't do an ultrasound for another week or 2 though.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • VLillyVVLillyV member
    edited February 2017
    I'm scheduled out for 7wks on the 28th for my first OB appointment for blood work.
    Flaming girls Flame! Sorry @baker1jm2

Eta: Words
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • When I called to make my first appointment they offered to have me come in for blood work to check Hcg levels. I declined and was given the routine blood work at my first appointment yesterday (7w). It includes HIV test and genetic markers (if I'm a carrier for certain abnormalities) 
  • edited February 2017
    Not necessary to confirm with bloodwork, mostly done in patients with a history of losses or infertility.
    TTC x 1.5 years.
    Acupuncture, Femera x3 cyles, and HSG.
    BFP in September 2014, DS born June 2015.
    TTC x2 months.
    BFP January 2017.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My gyn does bloodwork to confirm urine test because they do not do OB. They want to confirm and catch any little red flags before they send to an OB. Then the OB does more in depth bloodwork and likely orders an ultrasound when they see you for the first time at 8 weeks. I don't think early bloodwork is necessary for your baby, it is just a way to catch an early issue (if HCG levels aren't rising or looking appropriate for how far along you are, etc).