October 2016 Moms

4 Month Check In

I think monthly instead of weekly is a nice way to go at this point. Let's hear about the babes. 

When does baby turn four months?

Any milestones hit?

Tell us about sleep, nighttime and naps-

Weight and length?

How are YOU feeling?

Questions or concerns?

Re: 4 Month Check In

• When does baby turn four months? 
    3 weeks ago!

Any milestones hit?
    Oh, that wonderful 4-month sleep regression... but he's met other cool milestones, like rolling over both ways, 'talking' back to me, peek-a-boo is his jam, and his little personality is starting to shine through!

Sleep hasn't been the best, he wakes up hours earlier than he had been previously turning cartwheels in his bassinet, and babbling away wanting to play. I guess it's better than him screaming, and it's hard to even get upset that he's waking me up because he's always being adorable and greets me with a big ol' Johnny Cheeks smile haha

Weight and length?
    He's weighing in at 13.5 lbs as of his last appointment, and was 26" long.

How are YOU feeling?
    Well, I woke up with a sore throat, stuffy nose, and headache. Mentally, I'm drained from sitting on the edge of the fence of potential single-motherhood. Other than that I'm swell.

Questions or concerns?
    Naw, this is all pretty routine at this point. However, I am a little concerned about Jimmy, who has a new found love of shoving small things up his nose. As a matter of fact, I will be taking him to the clinic to have a small plastic ball (or more than one) removed from his nostril as soon as it opens at 8:00. We got two out last night, and just realized upon changing his diaper that there is yet another lime green one, previously mistaken for a booger up there too. Hopefully no others behind it =/ it's too far back for me to get out by myself without accidentally pushing it up further. Kids...
    She turned 4 months Feb 23

Any milestones hit?

She has rolled over belly to back and is working on back to belly. She doesn't seem to care too much for rolling though. She'd rather pull herself up in a sitting or standing position. She acts like she wants to walk off somewhere. 

It's rough!  I'm just so tired of it taking so much work just for her to nap 30 mins. Pedi said she needs to come out of the swaddle. That is going to be tough. I'm also thinking about sleep training before I go back to work in 2 weeks. Considering the sleep lady shuffle. Anyone have experience with it?

Weight and length?

12.8 lbs  24 inches

How are YOU feeling?

I've been feeling very hormonal since AF has returned. And very anxious about LOs sleep. 

Questions or concerns?

Anyone BFing still having LO eat every 2 hrs?  Mine does and the pedi said she should be eating every 4 now. Now I'm wondering if she's been overeating for some time now causing a lot of her spitting up. 
  • Loading the player...
    17th

Any milestones hit?
    Supported sitter, still working on rolling. She's a bit disinterested in that. 

Sleeps 4-6 hours in the first stretch, naps are pretty good. Two 2.5 hour naps a day

Weight and length?
    14.8 lbs at last ckeck up and 25"

How are YOU feeling?
    Tired! And stressed looking for a new job

Questions or concerns?
    Baby seems constipated but refuses any juices.   Any tips?
  • @wolleys10 If you formula feed, I recommend Enfamil probiotic formula, the premix kind. When LO1 was constipated, that stuff did the trick. I'd give him one bottle of that formula in the afternoon, and an hour later he'd have a BM. I swear by that stuff.
    If you are still BFing, try adding more raw fruits and vegetables into your diet for a while. Good luck!
    February 20

Any milestones hit?
    He has rolled from belly to back a few times but with no real enthusiasm.  I just love watching him finally grab at things and study them carefully with his eyes and mouth.  That feels like a milestone to me.

He's really good at sticking to his bedtime.  We are very fortunate in that he's a wonderful nighttime sleeper - 8p-7a most days, or 8p-4:45a, dream-feeding and then back down until 7 or so.  Daytime naps are a bit more complicated depending on who is watching him during the day.

Weight and length?
    We think around 15.5 lb & 23.5 in.

How are YOU feeling?
    Ok.  I only took 7 weeks off from work so I have been back for some time now.  At times I feel grateful that I went back to work before he started truly interacting with me, but I also feel like I get very limited time with him.  I get 15 minutes of snuggles in the morning and then only about 2 hours with him at night before he passes out.

Questions or concerns?
    My pediatrician has our appointments "off" by one month - so his 4 month checkup isn't taking place until he is 5 months old.  I'm worried about not starting him on solids until 5 months, but I've already had to call my pediatrician so many times for help with insurance issues that I feel like a big pain in the butt for asking them to see him earlier or to give me the verbal ok to start solids.
  • @Kgridley27

Im sure your pediatrician wouldn't mind another call! Mine suggested to not start solids until 6 months so waiting until 5 months should be fine.
  • @fitlady21 thanks for that - that's just what I needed to hear. 

I think part of my worry is my H's grandma, who watches LO while I'm at work, isn't the best at listening to us unless we scare the daylights out of her and pretend whatever she's planning to do/has done will be/is harmful to LO's health (there's a language barrier and she shows her love with food, so it's a double whammy).  For example, when she fed him apple juice at 2 months old because he was "still a little hungry." So I am anticipating her trying to jump the gun on solids and I really want to be able to ease him into it as best we can.

• @Kgridley27 My pedi just said at LOs 4 month appt to start giving her a spoon of solids a day starting with oatmeal. And stick to that same food for at least 3 days to check for allergies. My understanding is as long as they can sit supported, can hold up their head, and turn it from side to side then it's ok to start. We gave S her first spoon of oatmeal today. She spit most of it out but liked licking the spoon. I think waiting until 6 months is geared more towards baby led weaning. 
  • There is always a little back-and-forth when it comes to solids, there are some people who say 4-months, there are some who say 6, and then there are the extremists who think breast or bottle is all baby needs until 12-months. I personally say: once baby can sit well while assisted, shows interest in foods,   has a better control of their gag reflex (how much does baby spit up?), and doesn't already have digestive issues of some form, start sampling solids when babe seems ready.
    I was also suggest, just from experience, starting with rice cereal instead of oatmeal. I only say that because Jimmy was allergic to even the baby oatmeal and broke out in a rash all over his body. From my understanding, it is less likely that rice cereal will cause a reaction.
  • LO sits up with support, turns his head, never spits up, watches us eat intently.  I feel like he's ready for food.  I guess the longer I can keep telling H's grandma "FORMULA ONLY...only formula.  No milk.  No water.  No juice.  No pudding." the less worried I will be.  His next appointment is in 3 weeks so going to the doctor a week or two earlier shouldn't make much difference overall. He certainly doesn't look like he's missing any meals, anyway...

@AllyTheKid did you have the same experience with DD re the oatmeal/rice cereal?

• @Kgridley27 Nope, with DD the only thing she ever reacted was carrots. I can't remember if I actually ever gave her oatmeal or not though... I don't think I did honestly. I was going through some digestive turmoil that I attributed at the time to wheat so I didn't ever keep grains around, even for her. But when I gave her real 'grown up' oatmeal when she was older she was fine, so I'm sure it would have been okay. And I'm sure it'll be totally okay if you guys give your LOs oatmeal cereal, I just now have a natural inclination to avoid since Jimmy was allergic, and I probably won't give it to Johnny until after the 12 month mark just in case.
    Jimmy still can't do oats or whole grains though, and he's 19 months. Pretty sure he's just the odd duck of the bunch.
  • Nothing wrong with being the odd duck :) 

• @Kgridley27 If you think he's ready then it doesn't hurt to try. You can still tell grandma no solids and do it when LO with is you. So far S seems ok with the oatmeal but it's only been one day.
  • @Ladybug2821 I've been a long time lurker too, but I couldn't NOT put my .02 in about nursing every two hours... Lately I've been second guessing our routine because of all the *unwanted* advice from well meaning friends :/ I have twin girls born 9-27 (due10/18) so they're 5 months already and are exclusively breastfed. Yes, we nurse every two hours, all day long! After spending months waking up 7-8 times between the two, that's a small sacrifice to make because it seems to be tied with them going longer stretches at night. If I feed them diligently alllll day long, they will normally just be up once, maybe twice overnight. Glad to know I'm not the only one dealing with 'spoiling my babies'
  • @cate2273 I have been stretching her feedings to 3 hrs and I do think it has been better for her. She was spitting up a ton before (over eating I believe) and has only had one major spit up once since I changed to 3 hrs. If I think she's hungry of course I'll feed her earlier but it does seem to be going well for her. It's hard not to second guess ourselves when we hear so many different things especially from the pedi but as long as your good with it that's all that matters. I'm actually glad she can go every 3 hrs because we have more freedom to do things. 
  • @cate2273 lurk no more, join us :)

I know I can't give any valid advice or empathize re BFing and I'm sure @Ladybug2821 would appreciate the solidarity!

Congrats on your twins!  I think we all need to remember to trust our guts when it comes to our own LOs, but it's great to have other mamas as sounding boards.  And really, how can you spoil your babies with too much love and affection?

• That's so nice that you guys are figuring out what works best! Life is so much easier with our babes when we work with them and understand their needs and cues. Of course every time I think I have something all figured out, they change up their game ;)
  • Ladybug2821Ladybug2821 member
    edited March 2017
    This exactly^^

Yes @cate2273, please join. The more the merrier so we can keep this BMB going. 
  • We just had our 4 month check up yesterday. :) Riley is now 12.7 pounds and almost 23 inches long. Izabella is 10.7 pounds and 21.5 inches long. :) technically my twins are closer to being nearly 3 months old development wise, as they were born 6 weeks early. Our pediatrician suggested that we were free to try solid foods and see if they have any interest, like rice cereal or something. I haven't decided if we wanted to try yet though.
  • New here! I posted once or twice during my pregnancy but it was just too hectic of a time to be active. Now I find myself having more time alone and would love to connect with some mama's going through the same stuff! 

When does baby turn four months?
    He turned 4 months on 2/27.

Any milestones hit?
    He picks up pacifier, toys, etc and brings them to his mouth, transfers hand to hand, and rolls up on his side but doesn't seem to care to roll more than that.

Tell us about sleep, nighttime, and naps-
    He generally takes his last bottle about 6-630 and goes to sleep after that. He used to sleep until 3-4, now he gets up closer to 1-2. Goes back to sleep until I wake him up to leave for babysitter's about 630.

Naps at home are shorter but he doesn't seem to be bothered by less sleep. Naps at daycare are about 1 hr and 2.5-3 hrs.

Weight and length?
    As of his 4 month appt 2/28 he was 25 in, 15 lb 6 oz. Only in the 35th %ile for height which is strange because I am 6' and my husband is 6'4".

How are YOU feeling?
    We have adjusted well to our schedules I think, but I'm having lots of trouble adjusting physically. I ran a lot while pregnant and am currently unable to run at all. My pelvis is shifted and causing me a lot of pain. Trying chiropractor first to see how that helps, but may have to get more serious about fixing this. I am an ambassador for a big Marathon this fall and I'm so nervous I won't be back into running shape by then!

Questions or concerns?
    Just hoping to get to know everyone. I know I've jumped on late in the game!
  • Kgridley27Kgridley27 member
    edited March 2017
    @supercalla86 don't worry about the height percentile...growth spurts sneak up on you all of a sudden. This coming from a mama to a fellow short stack :blush:
  • @Supercalla86 Welcome!  I'm glad more people are joining. 
    She did on February 15th

Any milestones hit?
    Rolling both ways sporadically. Transfers objects from one hand to the other. Started solids and she eats like a champ. Loves avocado, sweet potato and pear

As soon as she hit 4 months sleep went to hell In a hand basket. The end doesn't seem in sight either. She will go down in her bassinet at 10:30 then will wake every two hours and need to be held, bounced or breast fed for comfort. She ends up in our bed every morning.
    Naps are not gaurenteed unless we load her up in the car seat and take her for a drive. She cat naps while nursing and fights sleep in general.

Weight and length?
    12 lbs 12 oz. At five and a half months old
    24.25 inches long

How are YOU feeling?
    Feeling blessed and love being a mom to a healthy baby. Sad I have to work full time to support our household. Also struggling with time management. Laundry, cooking, cleaning ,paying bills, grocery shopping and other household tasks  have definitely piled up and it is stressful. I also used to love shopping but now dread it because I have to bring baby and she is a ticking time bomb.

Questions or concerns?
    I will admit I  probably have googled baby related questions every day since she was born. 
    Image result for its raining meme

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @brzvice Girl, you have all my respect. I don't even have a job and my household duties are piling up on me =/ One day grocery stores will deliver in my town!
    Shes almost 5 months now.

Any milestones hit?
    She can now sit up by herself. Tons of grabbing.. loves chewing on her feet

Awful, awful, awful!

Weight and length?
    She was 25.25 inches long and 14.5 pounds at 4 months

How are YOU feeling?
    Feel good.. just trying to juggle everything! It's so hard. I feel like someone is always getting the short end of the stick

Questions or concerns?
    She started rolling from belly to back at 7 weeks but has zero desire to roll back to belly. I keep trying to taunt her to roll with toys but she won't even try! Shouldn't she be rolling back to belly by now?
  • @fitlady21 I just think some LOs don't care to do certain things. S really could care less to roll. Like your LO she was rolling belly to back pretty early but doesn't do it too often anymore. She more so wants to sit up and is trying to be on the move. She is definitely wanting to crawl so I think she will skip the rolling and crawl sooner than later. My mom said I basically skipped crawling and went straight to walking. 
  • @fitlady21 try not to get too hung up on milestone timelines. Some babies don't roll at all until 6 months or so.  I'd say your LO is doing just fine :)