August 2017 Moms
Options

Would you or wouldn't you?

I own a small business that isn't quite making ends meet, so I've been applying for part time admin jobs I can do while my son is in school. I'm 15 weeks and have an interview. My gut says do not tell them, it's personal. But then I also feel guilty for omitting. Would you tell them or wouldn't you?

Re: Would you or wouldn't you?

• Options
    I wouldn't. I knew someone that didn't get a job just because she told the interviewer she was pregnant. I mean she obviously looked 20+ weeks, but the interviewer couldn't "assume" or ask questions. I thought it was illegal to not hire someone despite the fact that they are pregnant, but the interviewer told me to never tell that you are expecting. Just my experience. I was only an intern at the time, but something definitely felt off about that whole place! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    You have no obligation to tell them and they cannot ask. I'd say no at this point. But do try to find out what if you "did get pregnant" and their policies. 

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't think I would tell at this point, either.  It's something that you could discuss pending a job offer, perhaps.  The only caveat to this is that you won't qualify for FMLA  if you haven't been there for a year/ worked 1250 hr in a year and they have more than 50 employees. So if they're feeling prickly about it, you could lose your job when you have the baby.  If that's not a big deal, then I would still recommend not saying anything.
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I don't think I would tell at this point, either.  It's something that you could discuss pending a job offer, perhaps.  The only caveat to this is that you won't qualify for FMLA  if you haven't been there for a year/ worked 1250 hr in a year and they have more than 50 employees. So if they're feeling prickly about it, you could lose your job when you have the baby.  If that's not a big deal, then I would still recommend not saying anything.
    This. The fact is it sounds like you need a job. Would you go back after time off? Even though it's illegal to discriminate on pregnancy, don't say anything unless you get an offer in hand. Some businesses will hire pregnant women because they're the best fit for the job period. Some businesses won't take the risk on a pregnant woman because they need a position filled and don't have a plan to cover the role while someone's on time off. 
    But it is true you won't qualify for FMLA. 

Have heart though- a good friend of mine unexpectedly became a single mom. Nordstrom (obviously a huge company with flexibility) hired her at 6 or 7 months pregnant and gave her paid leave and welcomed her right back. You just never know. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So I did get the job offer pending a drug and criminal background check (which will be totally fine) so do I say something while filling out the new hire paperwork or wait until my 2 week probation is over and I'm officially on their payroll (they do it through a third party for the first 2 weeks I found out)
  • Options
    Wait until after your probation period. During the probation period, they can fire you for without cause and you can't really fight it. If you wait, they can't discriminate and fire you because you're pregnant, they need a legitimate reason.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My husband took a new job when I was 6 weeks pregnant with my first. I had no choice but to look for positions. I was SO nervous about this very topic. I went through a temp agency and got a temp to hire position. The company ended up wanting to hire me right away. I went through the interview process and after they gave me the offer letter I told the president of the company that I was pregnant. She was so supportive and helpful! I know this isn't the case with everyone but it does happen :)
  • Options
    So I did get the job offer pending a drug and criminal background check (which will be totally fine) so do I say something while filling out the new hire paperwork or wait until my 2 week probation is over and I'm officially on their payroll (they do it through a third party for the first 2 weeks I found out)
    I agree to wait until after probation. The best thing to do in your first two weeks is to get to know the job and people as best you can, so that when you do need Leave, you have a rough plan in hand of how your job might be able to be handled while you're gone. I wouldn't just say, "Oh by the way I'll be off for 6-12 weeks," show initiative in helping them meet their needs. (Not saying you're "required" to do this, but I think management would just be more appreciative of your work ethic if you did that.)  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I started my job in December, and while I didn't know when I accepted the position, I knew pretty much my 1st week. I was super stressed about telling them. I just met with my boss last week, and she was so accepting, told me she was sorry I had been nervous about it. Now it is officially announced (just hit 15weeks) and the entire company (only 23 ppl) was awesome. So, it really can depend.
     My company is small so FMLA doesn't apply, and I will be the first female employee to have a child-so they are literally figuring out the leave policy in the next few weeks. So, while my company has been positive, I have no idea what 'leave' might look like. I would look into your new companies policies, esp. for part time just so you have an idea-that can calm ease your nerves. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    I was in this position but much farther along and not showing yet. I was applying for my first teaching position and I got the position and told the principal my first week. She was shocked but I had to do what I had to do. I don't think I would have gotten the position if I said I was pregnant. I was also on a hiring team when we added an additional teacher to our team and the people on the team would turn down candidates for much less than being pregnant. Good luck! 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I think I'm going to just keep my head down and my belly sucked in for the first 2 weeks and once I get the paperwork to transfer to their payroll I'll let them know. Hopefully it doesn't backfire. 
  • Options
    @mamaof2hopefully good luck! Please keep us posted!