Infertility
Options

Clinic suddenly jacked their prices up

NandJ4EverNandJ4Ever member
edited February 2017 in Infertility
Ive been speaking with the same clinic for nearly 3 years. After I researched all local clinics we decided on them and stuck with that decision. I've spoken with the main doctor there many times through email and even had a consult. I've been saving this whole time because it was our goal to be able to pay 100% cash for the first IVF cycle including meds. We did not want to go into debt over this right from the start and only if more than one cycle is needed. Well this summer we would finally have enough saved to start IVF. To my horror I went onto the clinic website the other day to see right there on their front page a $1400 increase in their IVF package price. I immediately start crying than I contact the clinic to ask them about it and ask for their new prices on their non IVF package sub services and pre IVF testing prices. Everything has gone up! I totaled everything up and now the IVF cycle will end up costing us almost $3,000 more than before. I would have to save for another 4 months now or I am considering selling my car. I expressed how this was upsetting to me and asked if they would offer me the former prices that were in effect at the time of my consult. They said no and instead told me to apply for a medical loan and even told me to mention their clinic when I apply for the loan so they get commission. I thought that was super insensitive. 

Has anyone negotiated prices before or is it pretty much set in stone? I feel like they should give me the prices they had when I had my consult just a couple months ago. They changed prices on Jan 1. I don't know if I should threaten to go elsewhere and maybe they will drop the prices a bit. I'm just worried if I get too upset over the prices that they won't even want to work with me at all. There is not really anywhere else I want to go around here because the other small clinics have bad reviews and the rest are all big clinics and I don't feel like that is the right type of clinic for me because I want a more personal experience with my doctor. I just feel like all of my plans and my timeline is uncertain now. I hate this.
Me (34) My Man (37)
TTC with IVF due to MFI and Mild PCOS

IVF #1 - scheduled November 2017

Re: Clinic suddenly jacked their prices up

• Options
    pizza_bratpizza_brat member
    edited February 2017
    I think it's common for prices to go up every year, because the economy is doing well. My clinic's prices went up this year. However, when I went to pay for a frozen embryo transfer cycle, I asked if the price was the same. The finance person told me the price had gone up but that she would give me the 2016 price, so I don't think the prices are set in stone. I don't know why she offered me the lower price, but maybe it's because I'd already spent over $60k there in 2016.

Also, congratulations on saving up for your first (and hopefully only) IVF cycle. My husband and I also paid for our first cycle in cash, but we ended up having to do a second retrieval cycle, so we had to take out a loan.
    Me: 33, DH: 33
    Met: 2009
    Married: 2015
    Gene Testing: April/May 2016
    Straight to IVF for autosomal dominant genetic disorder (50% of all embryos)
    ER#1 : Sept 2016 - 46 eggs retrieved - 17 blastocysts for PGD & PGS testing - only 1 normal
    ER#2 : Nov 2016 - 61 eggs retrieved - 16 blastocysts for PGD & PGS testing - 5 normal!
    FET#1: Jan 2017 - c/p
    FET#2: Feb 2017 - c/p
    Natural Pregnancy: July 2017 - TFMR Nov 2017
    FET#3: March 2018 - c/p
    FET#4: May 2018

singlegenescene.wordpress.com
  • Options
    My clinic's prices go up every year.  One time, when we were planning to start IVF in mid-January, I was able to get the December prices by paying in full in December.  Like @SingleGeneMe, it helped that I'd already spent about $20k that year on a series of IUIs.

But every other time, I've been stuck with the  increase.  Though I'd estimate that the total increase for a standard IVF cycle is about $1500 to $2000 a year for us.

Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugh, that is so very frustrating. I do know that prices tend to increase at many clinics each year, sort of like when landlords increase rental prices with each lease renewal. I know it would be hard to wait a few additional months, but I agree that if you can avoid taking out a medical loan, it might be a better option.
    Me: 35 DH: 28
    TTC since June 2016

Azoospermia diagnosis (zero count) Dec 2016

AZFc chromosome microdeletion discovery March 2017
    Unsuccessful TESE for DH in August 2017
    October 2017 IVF with donor sperm
    29R, 24M, 16F, 2d5, 4d6 (6 embryos total)
    Only 3 could have PGS. 2/3 normal. 5 embies frozen
    12/15/17 FET #1 (1 embryo)--CP
    2/7/17 FET #2 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Chronic endometritis diagnosis May 2018
    ERA Sept 2018--borderline receptive--12 more hours of progesterone
    Abnormal SIS Oct 2018
    Repeat hysteroscopy Nov 1. Treated recurring endometritis.
    12/4/18 FET #3 (2 embryos)--BFN
    Our journey has come to an end.
    ~*~*~Nevertheless, she persisted~*~*~
  • Options
    Uh, sounds like I'll be stuck with the price increase. I guess I shouldn't complain too much if this is the norm. I guess it was shocking because the clinic hasn't increased their prices at all the 3 years I was planning to use them than they increased them quite a bit All a sudden. Probably because they had not increased them for a few years. But I disagree that the economy is good! My husband was recently laid off and he has a master degree in a technical field and we live in the Seattle area that is suppose to be one of the best places for tech jobs and he and his friends and former classmates are all struggling to get interviews. I guess I'll have to sell my car or diamond in my wedding ring if I still want to have a summer IVF ☹️️ IF sucks

thanks for the encouragement. It wasn't easy to save. I pretty much didn't spend money on anything but basic needs for two years so far. My jeans have holes and my shoes look worn out but it's all worth the sacrifice.
    Me (34) My Man (37)
    TTC with IVF due to MFI and Mild PCOS

IVF #1 - scheduled November 2017

• Options
    I'm sorry :(  I'm pretty sure mine raised their prices this year as well.  That would upset me too since you just had the consult.  Also, when did you have your prior testing done?  If it's been 3 years they might have you do them again, so definitely ask about that.  I don't want you to be even more surprised when you are finally able to start IVF.  Good luck, it will feel great to pay in cash and full for it when it's time. 
    TTC since:  1/2015
    11/16:  IVF #1.  BFN
    2/23/17:  FET with a BFP on 3/8/17.
    EDD: 11/11/17 with a baby GIRL!

• Options
    My clinic raised rates this year too! Better economy, raising real estate value, I get it but it definitely sucks!!! You are doing the right thing paying cash for the first cycle. My husband and I have paid cash for everything so far and it has definitely been a stress reliever. Best wishes!
  • Options
    @NandJ4Ever I live in Seattle, too! The median household income has been sky rocketing here, even if it's not spread evenly, unfortunately.
    Me: 33, DH: 33
    Met: 2009
    Married: 2015
    Gene Testing: April/May 2016
    Straight to IVF for autosomal dominant genetic disorder (50% of all embryos)
    ER#1 : Sept 2016 - 46 eggs retrieved - 17 blastocysts for PGD & PGS testing - only 1 normal
    ER#2 : Nov 2016 - 61 eggs retrieved - 16 blastocysts for PGD & PGS testing - 5 normal!
    FET#1: Jan 2017 - c/p
    FET#2: Feb 2017 - c/p
    Natural Pregnancy: July 2017 - TFMR Nov 2017
    FET#3: March 2018 - c/p
    FET#4: May 2018

singlegenescene.wordpress.com