May 2017 Moms

Breast feeding after csection?

Does anyone have any tips for breastfeeding after having a c-section? > I was planning to breastfeed for my first but ended with a c-section and got meds for the shakes and the nurse told me i couldn't but when I went to get discharged my Dr asked if I was breastfeeding and I said no bc of the meds but she told me i could have even with the meds so I was misled but really want to try this time. 

Re: Breast feeding after csection?

• I nursed about 45 minutes right after my c-section and had no problems. I don't know what specific meds you were given, however, I was given the ok with pain meds and bp meds.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• I was pumping hours after my CS before I was even able to meet my kids and I had to be fully sedated.  Some meds do make a difference but be sure to ask your doctor when you get checked.  Also if for some reason you end up not being able to BF the first day or two you can always try a few days later, just be sure to keep your milk up.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • I had a c section with my first but baby ended up in the nicu. Tried breastfeeding at the hospital but it wasn't pleasant for me or baby. I waited till we were home with no pressure. Everyone meant well but it just made me more stressed in the moment. In the meantime I pumped like crazy in the hospital and my milk supply was great. Just tried not to get discouraged when not much came in the first day.
  • It's doable. I would suggest getting a good nursing pillow to help you support baby without straining yourself as you figure things out. I found the Boppy to be too flat and it had to hunch over, putting a pillow under it helped raise baby up though. 

Knowing I am 50/50 odds at least for another I went and took a bunch of different nursing pillows over to a glider at the store and sat down and actually tried them out. You know where the incision goes and what it feels like so test drive what fits your body well and keeps baby up high enough that you'll be comfortable. 

And since the getting up and down for night feeds part kind of sucks I would suggest you talk to your partner about how they can help and support you. Taking them to a breastfeeding class is one way to do it. for example having them get baby's diaper changes while you get ready to nurse saved you a trip up and down. 

May '17 labor memes
  • It is definitely doable. I started nursing my daughter shortly after i woke up (dont know the exact time) and all was fine. I was on all sorts of meds and it wasnt a problem. 
  • In terms of guidance about meds, I'd recommend you check out (and share with your provider!) two different resources:

LactMed (NIH / NLM resource - there is a website and a free app)
    InfantRisk (Texas Tech has a researcher who runs a center dedicated to exploring the science behind meds during lactation - his name is Thomas Hale - and there's a website, app [called MommyMeds, not free but not too $$], and a hotline you can call)

Providers who don't know any better will often advise moms to (unnecessarily) pump and discard their milk. At least with the info above, you can start to make a more informed decision about whether you want to follow that advice. (And as I said above, please gently spread the word to them about these resources - all of them should at least know they exist)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Had no problems nursing after my c-section with my first. They did place them right on my chest when I got him out he was born at 37 weeks. Like previous Posters  said just try not to put too much pressure on yourself and make sure you talk to the lactation consultant at the hospital. Good luck!
    Only one Love 
    Born in June, three weeks early 

• I took a breastfeeding class at the hospital we will deliver at. They are "baby friendly" so they have the option to do skin to skin in the OR if the mom wants it (and as long as mom and baby are both doing ok). I had shown interest in the class and the lactation consultant had already reached out to get my scheduled c section date so they can plan ahead to facilitate skin to skin in the OR and recovery. 
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

• I talked to my doctor at the last apt and she said dimmeral (not sure if that's spelled correct) is what she normally gives afterward but shouldn't have affected me breastfeeding... maybe the new nurse we got after our labor and delivery just didn't want to help out that day bc she was very moody but in my mind I couldn't because of the medicine. I felt great after my class section and had a great recovery I just hope it goes the same this time. I didn't know they had lactation consultants at the hospital either... my sister in law is in her residency as a doctor and she is breastfeeding and convinced me to at least try it but she Is 4 hours away so hopefully she can help too! Thanks for all the tips I can't wait to try and hope all goes well.