July 2017 Moms
Options

SAHM Jobs

Hopefully this will be a board, whether short or long term, for other future/current moms on here to discuss balancing wanting to SAH with your baby and still needing to make money for your family. So any ideas for SAHM jobs, baby friendly work places, online businesses/employment, and in home businesses. 
Hubby and Me
Friends since 2008
Started dating: July 1st, 2013
Engaged: July 1st, 2014
Married: July 1st, 2016
R born: July 8th, 2017
N born: June 30th, 2019
Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
(maybe I only ovulate in October XD)

Re: SAHM Jobs

• Options
    Following!!!
  • Options
    Alright, so here is my situation: My husband and I CAN survive with just his income, but it's not much. We wouldn't have a lot of extra money left over for much of anything, and we are very interested in saving up a good chunk of change ASAP to be able to move. We're not huge fans of where we grew up and had plans to move prior to getting pregnant, but the pregnancy has pretty well upended both our plans and our financial situation. That being said, I am extremely committed to being a SAHM. Absolutely no judgement to moms who want to/do work, but it's been my dream for a long time to stay home with my kiddos, and I personally feel like it is by far the best decision for me and my family. That being said, if I could make money while being able to stay with my baby, that would be the absolute ideal. Now that I am FINALLY feeling better and able to even think straight, I have been racking my brain and have begun to scour the internet for ideas on how to make money with baby in tow. Are there any other moms out there who are SAHM who also make money and/or who are interested in that? I figured if there were we could possibly collaborate and help each other out with what is feasible/what isn't.

So here are my ideas so far:

Online Business:
    I'm fairly crafty, so I have at least contemplated selling crafts/homemade goods online. I did try to launch this in the beginning of my pregnancy, but I got really sick and was not able to follow through on the marketing. The "soft" opening really garnered no attention. Any specific sites or resources that are good to use for this?

Day Care:
    I have been contemplating either working at a day care where they will allow me to bring my child (if that even works, I have no idea) starting my own day care, or becoming a day time nanny where the parents do not mind me bringing my own baby with me.

Pet Care:
    I have done pet care off and on over the years. Again, wondering if pet owners will be ok with me having my baby with me, or possibly doing an in home pet care. Also would have to make sure that the pets are not a danger to the baby.

Work From Home:
    I know full well that if I type in to Google "work from home job" that I will get TONS of hits of a lot of false/scammy things. Are there legitimate work from home positions, and how does one obtain said positions?

Elder Care:
    Also seeing this as possibly very feasible. I don't know, I guess I have it in my head that older people like babies. Anyways, I'm thinking minor house work, keeping company, errand running. Nothing too crazy.

Mommy and Me Classes:
    I'm thinking about possibly getting certified in some Mommy and Me Exercise classes and other such things. That way I could work and teach with baby in tow. 

I'm not sure which direction to go in at this point, and was wondering if any other bumpies on the board are looking into the same kind of thing, or have already set up something like this. 

P.S. Before I get royally flamed, yes I understand that this is an "ideal"/dream situation, yes I know it will be difficult to make this work, and yes I'm aware that it is a narrow market. It's a goal of mine to make this work. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugh I wish.

I am hoping that by the time we have a second, I will be able to go down to part time (would have to change companies because my current company doesn't do PT). But right now, we have too much debt that we are trying to tackle (hopefully we be paid off this year) and want to be able to save for our kid's education, etc. that I can't fathom not having my salary. Hopefully by the point I'd like to go to PT, DH will have gotten a promotion/raise so that it won't be as big of a blow as well. A girl can dream. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I worked from home for a couple years, the position was remote, paid well and they paid for the all the equipment (computer, phone, etc.). I resigned after I went back with my first as we decided it would be better for me to stay at home full time and we had decided to try for another baby - our first two are a year apart. 

Now my position was one that was specific to the industry/career I was in, although they had many roles in a less specific field (think customer support) that are set-up as completely WAH. I can PM anyone details if they are interested but my advice for trying to work remotely if you don't want to go the small business (32, essential oils, lularoe, etc.) or pyramid scams is to either find a company that does remote work within your career type by contacting a recruiter or doing research, or go with a company that specializes in WAH careers such as customer support, transcriptions, billing or other data entry work. 
  • Options
    Please PM me details, @Dcwtada. I'd love to know what industry and if it matches the one I am in. 
  • Options
    Following this!!
  • Options
    I was a high school teacher before DS was born but I also have my Realtor's license, which is what I've been using to bring in some extra income. I only do one or two transactions a year of my own but I manage two rental properties and I do some assistant/paperwork for a friend who is a busy agent. I do almost everything on my own schedule, when the baby is napping, etc. Only occasionally is something urgent and I have to take care of it right then. I've been able to contribute about $1000-$1500/month to the household this way. Basically our retirement savings. 
  • Options
    @mamadcb I've really been contemplating getting my realtor's license.  I really enjoy the thought of helping people find homes, so this is something we have considered.  I know if we pay off all the credit card debt which we are slated to do by June, then we could make it on DH's income alone because we'd save on daycare.  The margin would be tight though and I'm nervous.  I'd feel better if I was able to bring in some money, but I'm also nervous to leave my super secure and great benefits job.  I'd love to raise my LO though.  I'm pretty torn, so I'll be following this.

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @maybeitsmadeline There are definitely some start-up costs involved (coursework, exam, license, and then all the memberships). And I think annually it costs me about $1,000 to maintain everything. But for me that's worth it. If you know anyone who is a Realtor in your area it might be helpful to ask him/her to teach you the ropes. Once you know the ins and outs of all the paperwork (the biggest learning curve) you can start advertising yourself for assistant work or do marketing to get new clients. I prefer the assistant side of things (except when friends/family are buying and selling) because it does not require even a fraction of the time that pounding the pavement for clients takes. Of course you make less, too! But that works out fine for us. 
  • Options
    I SAH, but was a nanny for years in summers and all through college(even after because it paid better)! I LOVE being a nanny. After the first few crazy months with a new infant are over, I wouldn't mind putting the word out that I would watch a friend's kid after pre-k(part time). I just know that I would need to really make sure I could handle it and my home would HAVE to stay clean. No slacking off! I would just do one extra kid and it's a friend that has been asking for a while! I'd put the money straight in a savings account for fun vacation? Since it's not money we 'need'. 

Maybe this would be my van excuse?!?! Ha! DH doesn't think we need a van with 2 kids, but he isn't the one out with the baby(soon to be babies)! 

• Options
    @kerlis I would definitely look into pet care if I were you. Even joining a current dog-walking company - that way if you're sick or if the baby is sick, there is a group that can sub for you.
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited February 2017
    Following!! 

I wanted to do a stay at home call centre kind of job, any recommendations please do help. 
    I do help my husband with his side business (I do the website designing) but he's been doing that after his full time job. 

I also want to sell my brownie bites, I have full confidence in them. I'm looking into a food license and please if anyone knows how to go about this please PM me I will really appreciate it. 
    i used to design clothes but since I can't visit back home(tailors, cheap labor, ethnic clothes) I can't do that anymore, I can't even design my own clothes anymore, boo! 

• Options
    mslynn2012mslynn2012 member
    edited February 2017
    I am a high school math teacher turned SAHM. When I had DS in 2013 I went back to work part time and it was the most difficult thing I've ever done. At the end of the 2013-14 school year we were pregnant again and knew it made sense for me to stay home. When DD came in November we were okay financially, but I was going BSC with 2U2 and no "fun money". Fast forward to the 2016-17 school year and I decided I needed some "me" time. I offered to tutor kids on my local moms fb page. I now tutor at the library Tuesday-Thursday from 3-5. Because I'm a credentialed math teacher, and we live in a pretty affluent area, I am able to charge $50/kid/hr. I tutor at the library (a block away from the house), and my in laws come and watch the kiddos for me. It's been nice using my brain for math again, and it gets me away from the kids, and gets me about $800 extra a month. 

I know this isn't an option for everyone, but I know we have a few teachers on the board, so perhaps this is an option for you!
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Options
    I was a hair stylist for ten years as well as a first grade teacher for a few more. I now stay home with dd and sell LuLaRoe. It's work, but it's fun and I do it when dd is napping/sleeping. It's a great way for me to bring in my own income and keep my sense of self worth. Love it!
  • Options
    I'll also chime in along with @alcrimmins! Direct sales can be an option. I also sell LuLaRoe, but am about to exit out of it as I just don't have the time I need to do that along with my full time job. I was easily able to clear $3k a month doing it part time (I'd say I would spend about 15 hours a week on it), so something like that could definitely be an option for people. I wish I could keep up with it, but I just cant juggle it anymore. 
    Me: 34 | DH: 35  
    Met: 2003
    Married: 2005
    TTC #1: May 2016
  • Options
    I am not a SAHM, but my sister is. She teaches an introductory course at a local college in the evenings (she holds a master's degree in her field). By teaching one course a semester, she is able to contribute about $10k a year to their household income. I should warn you, however, that pay rates really vary teaching as an adjunct instructor. While some institutions provide decent compensation, others don't. It might be worth checking into, though. 
  • Options
    I'm a SAHM, worked full time before DS. As of now I help with my husbands construction company, write estimates and small things. I also work a few hours a week for a woman that has her own traveling jewelry making company, something light for now. 
    I'm working on my real estate license now as well so when baby comes I can do it as I please and it will definitely help my husband and our venture to flipping and selling homes. 
    And lastly I also have my nail tech license, so I do nails on the side.

I have my hands dipped in a bit of everything, it helps though. 
  • Options
    I was an American Sign Language Interpreter turned SAHM almost 2 years ago and about 8 weeks after having DS I joined Fit4Mom stroller strides program to lose the baby weight. I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT! I was there 5/6 days a week and became a certified instructor about 6 months later. Each franchise is different in terms of pay check but it was so fun and I highly recommend it! 

• Options
    I was an American Sign Language Interpreter turned SAHM almost 2 years ago and about 8 weeks after having DS I joined Fit4Mom stroller strides program to lose the baby weight. I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT! I was there 5/6 days a week and became a certified instructor about 6 months later. Each franchise is different in terms of pay check but it was so fun and I highly recommend it! 

I've been looking for a workout program during pregnancy and after baby and saw a Fit4Mom near me (in northern Virginia), it seemed very interesting but I've been too chicken to join, also I've been super busy with my mom, but I'm excited to hear such a positive recommendation for the program! I don't see myself becoming an instructor,  but I do want to do the exercise program! 
  • Options
    @supermom83 I do Fit4Mom Stroller Strides and love it!  I'm not an instructor... maybe someday but right now I just love taking the classes and I LOVE my mom friends I've met through the group.

@kerils mentioned doing mommy and me classes and I just wanted to chime in that music classes are a great option.  You don't have to be a fantastic musician or anything, you just a need an iPod to sing along with and the kids will have fun.  I've taught preschool music for years and I hope to get back to it in the next few years with my kiddos in tow.  Right now I'm working as a freelance performer so I'm taking a break from the preschool classes but it was decent money when I was teaching and the hours are often flexible around your schedule.  I currently take DD to Kinder Jam every week and the instructor teaches 5 days a week with her toddler (she used to baby wear her when she was an infant).  Great option for a SAHM!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Please PM me details, @Dcwtada. I'd love to know what industry and if it matches the one I am in. 
    Me too @Dcwtada
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    A former colleague of mine started an SAT/LSAT tutoring business out of her home.  She also helped students with their essays for their college and law school applications.  She found most of her clients through her church (she's Mormon) and then by word of mouth.
  • Options
    Perhaps you could look into virtual admin/executive assistant jobs. I am an EA and there is no reason for me to be in the office and I often work from home with my current job. I even help manage calendars for people in our London office, so this is something I've kept in my back pocket if I want to work at home full time.
  • Options
    I've been working from home for 9 years. I found the job through a friend. My boss is a financial advisor and I manage his online business (customer service, database management, write and edit, payment processing etc). I also have a blog that brings in some income, it's minimal, but it's still something. 

Virtual jobs are getting a little easier to find because so much business is done online. Join a few FB groups for virtual assistants if you're looking for a job. They usually aren't full time jobs, but you can get your foot in the door. 

But word of caution from a long-time WAHM veteran: working from home is not for the weak, it's not for procrastinators or people just looking for easy money. Working from home with kids is really HARD. I wake up every morning at 4, work through naps, meal times, after bedtime. I work on the weekends and most holidays (depending on projects and demand). You have to be organized, motivated, and a major self starter to succeed working from home. 
  • Options
    nikkiandchrisnikkiandchris member
    edited February 2017
    I owned a mom and me exercise franchise. It was a wonderful experience, I made so many great connections. However if I could do it over again I'd be an instructor before becoming an owner (specifically at that time in my life with a new baby). It was hard to balance the requirements of being a business owner with having a colicky newborn. Check out fit4mom, it's a wonderful company and I know local franchisees are often looking for instructors.

After that I started my own very part time photography business which has been more manageable for me. Not really WFH entirely as I have to schedule sessions, but I do those based on when my husband is home to watch the bebes.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am a professional nanny and have been for 10 years now. I m currently working with high profile/high net worth families so will likely
    lose my job once little man gets here. I am hoping to take one other infant of similar age in my
    own home or in a share type situation for less than a third of what I am making now. It will be a higher rate than a center or daycare but lower than a nanny rate. I may be dreaming but I am really
    hoping it will work out and I can finally
    get daily tasks done in my own home for at least part of the week during work hours. Otherwise I guess I will find another nanny job and bring my
    own kid with me too. But after having 32 nanny kids over the years there is no way I am putting my kid in daycare to raise someone else's! 
  • Options
    I was a SAHM for 3 years until we moved just shy of 2 years ago. When this LO comes I will go back to being a SAHM for several reason. I agree direct sales is a way to go, I sell Plexus and I couldn't love it more! I'm not super active in it but I never have a paycheck less than $100. Trust me that extra $100 every month is needed right now.
  • Options
    Another LuLaRoe consultant here. I don't do it full time I also teach first grade but match or surpass my monthly teaching salary every month with LuLaRoe. We will be moving out of state right before baby arrives and I'm confident that if I can't find a teaching job I could just do LuLaRoe and make good money. It is a lot of work but you get out what you put in. It had a high start up cost compared to other direct sales companies but I also feel the return is larger. If you have questions or want to know more feel free to ask. I'm apart of a very supportive team and have built my own over the last year.
  • Options
    We have an A/C company with my husband, bearly starting but he has good income and I help him with invoices and anything he may need that's paperwork etc. Also I'm considering getting a tax course to help with filling taxes for the company and what not. I will be able to be with baby 100% thank God and I usually work alone so that's perfect for me.