June 2017 Moms
Options

Shopping with Little Ones

Any tips or tricks when it comes to going shopping with small children?
What do you do when you are at a store without carts? Is it generally acceptable to bring a stroller into stores? My now 9-month old DS has never liked being worn, and it's just not possible for me right now with the ever-growing bump! 
I have been fortunate enough to be able to leave DS with DH or a grandma when I go shopping, but now as an SAHM and soon to be STM I don't want to call someone every time I need to go somewhere other than Target or the grocery store. There has to be a better way! 

Re: Shopping with Little Ones

• Options
    We take our stroller into the grocery store all the time. I'd day go for it!
  • Options
    I've always taken my kids/daycare kids. I've had up to 5 kids at once. Getting them used to it is key for me. Yes, sometimes there are behavior issues, but they have to learn. I am always consistent as well. They do not get anything (toy, candy) when we go. 

Strollers are fine to take. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have taken strollers in before, but mine are 3 and 4 now so I usually put one in the cart and my son walks or sits in the big part of the cart.  If we are at target or something that has the double seats I use those because they enjoy sitting in them.  When my daughter was an infant I would put her carrier in the big part and put my son in the front.  It made it hard to get a lot of stuff so I only did that if I needed just a few things. 
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14
                                                                  BFP #3 Nov 2014: D&C January 2015
                                                                  BFP #4 Sept 2016: Due May 31 2017

• Options
    I just plan to go when they are fed, some what clean, and relatively happy. Bring snacks, utilize the seat in the cart, or learn to wrap your son on your back. Aim for one or two stops max, or plan to take a break to nurse/feed and have some play time in between stops. 

With twins coming and two big kids, I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to do it haha Babywearing and lots of gum for bribes! 
  • Options
    @Wino0920 I take my daycare kids out all the time too, 5-6 kids is normal and totally manageable! The more you do it the easier it gets.
  • Options
    Stroller is acceptable. Bring snacks. The more you do it the easier it is. 
  • Options
    I take my kids in all the time too.  I have a near 3 year old and 1 year old.  Sometimes they have meltdowns, but such is life.  I don't give them whatever they are griping about and over time it has become easier as they better understand what to expect from such a trip.  They're actually really good lately and my son is fairly helpful [knock on wood].  I usually put my 1 year old in the seat of a cart.  My son sits in the cart or walks next to me if I can't get a two seater or car cart.  If there is no cart, I use my double stroller for both or my smaller umbrella stroller for DD and DS walks next to me.   
  • Options
    Good to know on stroller use! Thanks all! I guess I haven't been a mom long enough to notice what other moms do. :smile:
  • Options
    If I am going to a place without a shopping cart... I always take the stroller.  My DD inevitably wants to be held instead of walking and that is not always something I can do.  I agree with PP... snacks, book, toy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Wino0920 I take my daycare kids out all the time too, 5-6 kids is normal and totally manageable! The more you do it the easier it gets.
    In the long run, it makes life easier. You never feel that you are stuck or can't get anything done. 
  • Options
    Dd has always shopped with me. When she was a baby she would be in the ergo nursing. She couldn't shop without milk I guess. Lol now she just sits in the cart and "helps." Dh is usually with us though, we tend to do everything as a whole family. If there is no cart I always brought a stroller. Now at 3 she walks. 
  • Options
    I always have my stroller in the trunk. If the big kids are sleeping and the baby isn't feeling the carrier, I don't hesitate using my stroller at all! I take my kids shopping all.the.time.
  • Options
    I always have stroller in my trunk but lately now that she walks really well she hates being in it. I think I'd enjoy a tooth getting pulled more than trying to shop with my toddler. Ha!
  • Options
    What baby wearing device did you use?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    semicolon said:
    What baby wearing device did you use?
    For me it depended on the age/what was in my car.  I love my ring sling for tiny ones.  Once they can support themselves a bit more I default to my Ergo/Tula.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    9 months is a bit tricky, but it can be done. I echo bringing the stroller. Since he's 9 months, can he eat snacks like yogurt melts? I'd bring those. Maybe also a couple of toys that he doesn't get to play with all the time that you save for occasions like this. DD had a toy phone that I saved for going shopping. It was a lifesaver. Also, maybe take him out of the stroller a few times to look at things. And don't stay too long. You'll have to resign yourself that at this age there's only so long you can be out on a shopping trip before boredom or over stimulation set in. But taking him more frequently will get him and you used to it.
  • Options
    At that age, DS was able to sit up just fine in the seat of the shopping cart, just put a shopping cart cover and provided a toy and a snack. He's 17 months now and shopping with him is WAY more of a challenge! He hates riding in the seat of the cart, will only stand in the big section of it and sometimes he hates being in the cart at all, he wants to walk but I can't let him or he'll go everywhere and distroy everything 
  • Options
    Thanks, all. DS does just fine when there is a shopping cart. We don't really do snacks, but he always has a toy or two. It's not terribly hard to keep him happy if there is a lot to look at. I just didn't know if it was okay to take strollers into stores or not; I guess I was concerned about store employees thinking that I might try to sneak merchandise into the strollers (I used to work retail - it happens!).:smile:

@semicolon I used a k'tan. He hated it so much! This summer I'm getting either Lillebaby or Tula carriers for both boys and think he will tolerate a structured carrier much better.