Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Progesterone (mc mentioned)

akopec157akopec157 member
edited January 2017 in Trying to Get Pregnant
Its been a while since since I've been on the bump, but I know its always been a great resource. Long story short, I've had 3 m/c in between my 2 kids,my doctor gave me 220mg progesterone suppositories to start after ovulation. I know I O on CD18 like usual, and normally I would have started my period on CD 28/29. My question is, will my period come on its own while taking the suppositories or do I have to stop them in order for it to come? I know its a simple question but this is a new doctor I saw and he was not very informative. The first time I saw him was while having a m/c and he just gave me the script to try next time were TTC. Thanks so much. 

Re: Progesterone (mc mentioned)

• Options
    @akopec157 Please add a TW for trigger warning to your post's title since it mentions m/c. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @akopec157 I'm sorry for your losses. I second what @bluejeanbabi05 said.  How do you know you O on CD18?  are you temping,using OPK's?  Most women rarely O on exactly the same day every cycle...  Have they tested your progesterone levels post-O? 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    Actually, letting me know that it depends on the person is a great answer. I wasn't sure if it was a for sure thing you have to stop taking it but the doctor just didn't tell me. We had just moved to the area over 2 hours away from my old doctor so I don't really have a good history with this doctor yet. I've only seen him once.  Thanks again, will call him if nothing happens in the next few days. 
  • Options
    I havent had any testing done this time because this doctor doesnt do them. I've only seem him once because I had the m/c and we had just moved here to the area and I was too far from my old doctor to go back. I track my temps and did the OPK's, both showing clear O around the same time. 
  • Options
    adiratadirat member
    edited January 2017
    Thank you for adding the warning :)

As PPs mentioned, some women will get a period on progesterone and others will have to wait to stop the supplements to get it. Please join our running threads and you'll see the great diversity of TTC experiences here. 

If you don't find your doctor helpful or he isn't giving you the information you need, consider looking for another doctor. TTC is hard enough without having someone like that running the show. 

edit - words

• Options
    Thank you, I should look for another one. Its something I've been putting off just because its a pain finding a new doctor again. 
  • Options
    OP in addition to the previous advice about lurking the boards, introing etc., I agree that it depends on the person.  I was told to take it for only 10 days per cycle though, so try to find out from the doctor and/or pharmacist instructions on when to stop.  If you get a +, you can always start it up again.  But I was one who got AF even while taking it.  Other ladies had to stop first, and AF came a day or two later.
  • Options
    I also got AF while taking progesterone. progesterone may also lengthen your LP so don't get too excited if you are late, as it might be the drugs not being KU. It seems like most people test at 14 dpo or so and stop if they get a BFN but you should confirm with your doctor or pharmacist.